Singapore Expats Forum

Expatriate?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Re: I agree

Postby Brah » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 8:06 pm

!!!!!!!!

TryingTBBMom wrote:I agree, I find the women very fashionable here


wow

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 8:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Steve1980, atleast you live in Toa Payoh. Can you even picture a white living in a HDB in Ang Mo Kio or Tampines? I cannot.

I had an Indian colleague in my previous company who got a job in Barclays and he "behaved" like a real expat. He lived in a condo in Bishan and he travelled only in Taxi. He stayed here for 2 years and finally he said Singapore is just too expensive with even 9k salary per month. He got almost equivalent of that salary and moved to Pune and now he is living like a true expat there and is happy.

So I agree, it has nothing to do with colour of skin.


I live in an HDB in Serangoon North at the end of AMK Ave 3, wat you talkin' 'bout dude!


I know. But you are not an expat, technically. You are a PR :P


I was the first 11 years! :P

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9157
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 9:40 pm

Why PR should change anything? A PR is still an expat.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:44 pm

You are right. Unless I give up my citizenship of birth, my stay is temporal in nature. I can be booted out of the country at their pleasure.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:29 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I feel like Brienne of Tarth most days.


You did pretty much describe yourself as looking just like her before you came to that first Eagles Gathering :D

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:31 pm

Wd40 wrote:I can't picture, because I havent seen them.


That you WD40. It's been at least a week since I've been entertained by a thread where you're sticking your foot in your mouth by assuming your unique perspective and observations were the norm. :D

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:46 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I feel like Brienne of Tarth most days.


You did pretty much describe yourself as looking just like her before you came to that first Eagles Gathering :D


It's how I feel. My teenager loves it when I start swinging my arms and saying I'm taking him to King's Landing.

I think we should start taking selfies of ourselves in places expats don't go. We could have a thread and call it Shock WD40

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:49 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I can't picture, because I havent seen them.


That you WD40. It's been at least a week since I've been entertained by a thread where you're sticking your foot in your mouth by assuming your unique perspective and observations were the norm. :D


I know, but I can bet you thats not just my unique perspective, this probably the perspective of lots of locals which is why expats gets stared at when they are found in places where locals dont expect them.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:52 pm

Hannieroo wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I feel like Brienne of Tarth most days.


You did pretty much describe yourself as looking just like her before you came to that first Eagles Gathering :D


It's how I feel. My teenager loves it when I start swinging my arms and saying I'm taking him to King's Landing.

I think we should start taking selfies of ourselves in places expats don't go. We could have a thread and call it Shock WD40


Yeah please do, that would be fun :D

ps: expats cycling on PCN are not counted, even if its in Tampines :)

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4848
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:59 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I feel like Brienne of Tarth most days.


You did pretty much describe yourself as looking just like her before you came to that first Eagles Gathering :D


It's how I feel. My teenager loves it when I start swinging my arms and saying I'm taking him to King's Landing.

I think we should start taking selfies of ourselves in places expats don't go. We could have a thread and call it Shock WD40


Yeah please do, that would be fun :D

ps: expats cycling on PCN are not counted, even if its in Tampines :)


This won't be as easy as I originally thought.....

User avatar
Mexikaner
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri, 03 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Mexikaner » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 9:50 am

So if the definition of "expat" many of you have written here is correct... the "illegal aliens" in the US could also be considered "expats", am I right??
if not, where does the difference lie in?
"Lebe deinen Traum"

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9157
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:04 am

Mexikaner wrote:So if the definition of "expat" many of you have written here is correct... the "illegal aliens" in the US could also be considered "expats", am I right??
if not, where does the difference lie in?

Check my "defnition" at the begining of the thread. It'is addressed there.

TryingTBBMom
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue, 11 Feb 2014
Location: singapore

Postby TryingTBBMom » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:08 am

Being American and of Mexican decent I applaud the question in of itself, but I think it is off the general radar of the OP. :D :D
Actually the OP has veered of course anyway…
May want to start a new Topic Thread.

User avatar
Mexikaner
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri, 03 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Mexikaner » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:20 am

x9200 wrote:
Mexikaner wrote:So if the definition of "expat" many of you have written here is correct... the "illegal aliens" in the US could also be considered "expats", am I right??
if not, where does the difference lie in?

Check my "defnition" at the begining of the thread. It'is addressed there.


I did see your "definition" before, although a bit vague. Following thus such definition, since they are migrants trying to look for better paying jobs to address their "basic living needs" they could never be looked at as "expats", as it was not their "choice" (or was it?)
"Lebe deinen Traum"

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9157
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:41 am

Have they been hijacked and transported against their will over there?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests