Singapore Expats

Afro-Caribbean hangouts/ events/ restaurants in Singapore?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
New2S'pore

Afro-Caribbean hangouts/ events/ restaurants in Singapore?

Post by New2S'pore » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:28 am

Hey!,

I'm new to Singapore, wondering if there are any Afro-Caribbean hangouts/ events/ restaurants in Singapore?

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular

Post by ChrisCH » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:05 pm

I have not been there personally, but I know that a Caribbean friend of mine loves the Lime House https://www.facebook.com/limehouse.asia

argeano

Re: Afro-Caribbean hangouts/ events/ restaurants in Singapore?

Post by argeano » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 4:40 am

Hello and how is everyone? my name is paul an I am a jamaican and I am planning to move to Singapore. How is Singapore for foreigners and especially for black people? How are black people treated in Singapore? I just need some insights. Thanks

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 8:25 am

argeano wrote:Hello and how is everyone? my name is paul an I am a jamaican and I am planning to move to Singapore. How is Singapore for foreigners and especially for black people? How are black people treated in Singapore? I just need some insights. Thanks
Open racism in Singapore is practically non-existent.
There are not many people of African/Caribbean origin (there are many dark skin Indians, Bangladeshi etc.) but the worst I would expect may happen is that the local people will stare at you. The same happens to White people in less central areas of Singapore. It is mostly curiosity and the Whites has their reputation (not that good), The Blacks, I believe not.
In Singapore, probably the only cases of open discriminations, are based on material status, but you won't be coming here as a maid or low paid construction worker.

In other words, don't worry, you will be fine and may sometimes even feel special in a positive sense of this word.

Having said that, for some few recent years anti-foreigner sentiments have been growing but fortunately it is not yet that common and again, I doubt you will be within the target group.

argeano

Post by argeano » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 8:47 am

Thanks for your timely response sir. I have another curiosity. You said that white people are seen in a more negative light. I usually thought that whites would be more accepted anywhere in Asia. But my main curiosity now is how is Singapore socio enonomically? Is Singapore a develpoed first world country? do they have alot of poverty in Singapore? That is also an important point I would like to clarify. I was also thinking about going to Israel but I do not knowif Singapore would be a better deal. Witing for your response.
Thanks

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 9:12 am

argeano wrote:Thanks for your timely response sir. I have another curiosity. You said that white people are seen in a more negative light. I usually thought that whites would be more accepted anywhere in Asia. But my main curiosity now is how is Singapore socio enonomically? Is Singapore a develpoed first world country? do they have alot of poverty in Singapore? That is also an important point I would like to clarify. I was also thinking about going to Israel but I do not knowif Singapore would be a better deal. Witing for your response.
Thanks
White people are often associated with wealth and there were number of high profile Caucasians that made their way to the headlines for their arrogant and stupid behavior. Besides, Singapore is a former colony. To make it clear, this is not like something very dominant, it is more like a faint flavor. Sometimes it feels, most of the time, not. I am not saying Singaporeans hate the Whites.

No open poverty in Singapore. It's a very well developed, first world country. It's one of the richest (and more expensive) countries in the world.

By the way, it's not like you could decide to settle down in Singapore or not. First, you have to find a job and there are pretty strict criteria (your education, experience, how much the job pays etc.) that has to be fulfilled in order to have your work pass approved. Do you have a job offer?

argeano

Post by argeano » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 9:42 am

Well at this time I do not have a job offer. I am not even sure if I will come to Singapore as yet. it is on my itenerary. Israel could be another option. Dont know which of these countries is better or would be better. If I even do decide to go to Singapore, I HAVE my contacts there and have ways of getting into the system. How about the people in Singapore? friendly? are there still alot of british descended people there?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 1:30 pm

argeano wrote:Well at this time I do not have a job offer. I am not even sure if I will come to Singapore as yet. it is on my itenerary. Israel could be another option. Dont know which of these countries is better or would be better. If I even do decide to go to Singapore, I HAVE my contacts there and have ways of getting into the system. How about the people in Singapore? friendly? are there still alot of british descended people there?
This is an interesting post as it seems to be filled with contradictions to me. You don't have a job offering. You HAVE you contacts here (who, if they were substantial, could have told you exactly what we have told you). And having ways of getting into the system? Methinks you are about to become a Don Quixote, possibly tilting at windmills. I'm not so sure how old your details via your "contacts" are but it's my bet that they haven't kept you abreast of the times here. In fact, based on your last two questions, I'd say your contacts are useless. Good Luck.

There are blacks here, as x9200 has already mentioned, one of them is married to a relative of my Indian wife (Tamil). He's actually Nigerian. As far as density here is concerned, blacks (in the western sense) make up a very small percentage and most adapt and are easily accepted into the expat community and also by the locals from my observations over the last 35 years here. (I'm a Yank) However, there are not a lot of barbers who are adept with black hair. My son is one exception (Grease Monkey Barber Garage). There are a few others as well, but not a specialty shop catering for such as the numbers here are not large enough to support it. If you are single, dating for blacks with locals seems easy enough from my observations but how serious it can get I don't know as I only know of the one case personally that resulted in a marriage (wife's cousin's husband).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

argeano

Post by argeano » Wed, 09 Aug 2017 8:41 pm

Well. although I am grateful for any information given, and your response is great, your response seems to be somewhat biased and baffling. How do you know my contacts are useless??? do you know who I know. It seems a bit odd the direction you have taken this thread. Singapore is a commomwealth country like Jamaica that at least has the decency to grant us relatively easy access to their country, considering the fact that their economic model came from us. Dating, haircut and such fort, are quite trivial in my opinion. I dont know why you brought that up. Are you American or British or Singaporean? I get the impression that you are a foreigner yourself, if so, you seem unnesessarily superflous in your response. i which I thank you for.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 10:45 am

argeano wrote:Well. although I am grateful for any information given, and your response is great, your response seems to be somewhat biased and baffling. How do you know my contacts are useless??? do you know who I know. It seems a bit odd the direction you have taken this thread. Singapore is a commomwealth country like Jamaica that at least has the decency to grant us relatively easy access to their country, considering the fact that their economic model came from us. Dating, haircut and such fort, are quite trivial in my opinion. I dont know why you brought that up. Are you American or British or Singaporean? I get the impression that you are a foreigner yourself, if so, you seem unnesessarily superflous in your response. i which I thank you for.
SMS, told you to sugar coat your replies, didn't I ?? :twisted:

Let me share my experience.

I know a few Afro-Americans, (is that Politically correct) hailing from a West African country.

To be honest, they say only the minorities seem more accepting of them, including them in social groups and generally making the visitor feel welcome.

Now you know who are the majority here right ?

Singapore is a commomwealth country like Jamaica that at least has the decency to grant us relatively easy access to their country, considering the fact that their economic model came from us.

Lost you there, who took who's economic model again ?

PS, Singapore being in Commonwealth or not is irrelevant here. Singapore received 16 million tourists, by being tourist friendly, and easy visa is one of their strategies. Correct me if I am wrong.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Aug 2017 1:52 pm

argeano wrote:Well. although I am grateful for any information given, and your response is great, your response seems to be somewhat biased and baffling. How do you know my contacts are useless??? do you know who I know. It seems a bit odd the direction you have taken this thread. Singapore is a commomwealth country like Jamaica that at least has the decency to grant us relatively easy access to their country, considering the fact that their economic model came from us. Dating, haircut and such fort, are quite trivial in my opinion. I dont know why you brought that up. Are you American or British or Singaporean? I get the impression that you are a foreigner yourself, if so, you seem unnesessarily superflous in your response. i which I thank you for.
Maybe you should have done some research on this board first. My responses were based on the prevalent inquiries from afro-americans/jamacians/africans over the past 12 years on this board. The things I mentioned was basically answers to those normal questions. As to what I am, I stated as much in my reply. As Squirrel mentioned, the fact that Singapore is a commonwealth country has absolutely no benefits to Jamacians or anybody else for that matter. Like Jamaica, Singapore got is original style of government from the UK but it is far removed from that today. As far as ease of entry, does Jamaica have electronic entry for Singaporeans and vice versa? Like Singapore does with the USA? Maybe climbing down off your high horse would be a good idea. Some of members of this board have been here for a rather long time, like ecureilx, x9200 and others. Most of the members here generally don't just answer the question but try to give more background if we can. You take what you need, and disregard the rest. But getting your dander up won't help you at all.

Still cannot find that darn sugar bowl, squirrel! :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers