Singapore Expats

What's your best VOIP App for calling/texting?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

What's your best VOIP App for calling/texting?

Post by pakjohn » Sun, 23 Mar 2014 4:03 am

Used Skype for years but suffered with bandwidth problems such as dropped call, poor connection and echo.

Recently switched to Viber and find it superior in many ways. You don't have to have the app "up" to receive calls or txt, a huge bonus. Much cleaner and simpler interface and uses your phone contact list for contact information.

Wondering what else is out there for calling and texting?

BTW, I don't work for Viber or any other app provider, just think it's a very useful app for people that want to stay in touch with the folks back home.
Pakjohn

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 23 Mar 2014 7:19 am

FYI, Viber also has desktop applications for Windows, Mac AND Linux. They also recently added support calls to landlines/mobile phones. The only problem with it is that when you receive a message, anyone who has your phone can read a message (even with a lockscreen).

Similarly, Google Hangouts has multiple platform support. If you have an Android phone, you already have a Google account to use anyway. Pure voice call is not explicitly supported yet but one can just turn off the camera (word on the grapevine is that Google Voice will be folded into Hangouts eventually). They're probably still integrating Meebo when they purchased them.

Line is full featured (text messages and calls) and is available on a variety of OS's and devices (Android, windows, Blackberry, iOS, Windows, MacOS, etc). The only problem is it hasn't gained enough traction outside of East Asia. I haven't used it but it seems to be very promising.

Whatsapp is pretty popular and widespread. No voice features yet but it's in the pipeline. As far as I know, it doesn't have a desktop client yet but it may have one soon because of the Facebook acquisition. Then again, it being part of Facebook now may turn people off and away from it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 9:08 am

nakatago wrote:FYI,....... The only problem with it is that when you receive a message, anyone who has your phone can read a message (even with a lockscreen).
^^You can disable that from the Settings menu> Notifications.

Another one to add in the list is WeChat, which is quite popular here in this part of the world and also among the lazy bums like me who dont like to type. You can record your voice message and send to the recipient. Its takes a bit time to get used to, but quite nice way of communication IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 9:45 am

proxymoron wrote:
nakatago wrote:FYI,....... The only problem with it is that when you receive a message, anyone who has your phone can read a message (even with a lockscreen).
There was a big hoo-ha about this the first time someone noticed this. Several updates later and I still saw it happen. I haven't been using the app lately though.

Even if they fixed it, it's a bad idea for it to be the default behavior.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 9:52 am

I'm a long time Skype user so stick with it even though have some issues with calls dropping, and lately issues with volume which sometimes need to off/on phone to reset..... Several people tell me to just use facetime, I guess it's okay for all those apple users

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:07 am

nakatago wrote:
proxymoron wrote:
There was a big hoo-ha about this the first time someone noticed this. Several updates later and I still saw it happen. I haven't been using the app lately though.

Even if they fixed it, it's a bad idea for it to be the default behavior.
Viber on iOS used to refuse to open if you had those same notifications disabled via the OS's notification center. I stopped using it because of that, terribly stupid default behavior.

I use Facetime now with most people. WeChat for those without an iPhone. Its video and audio quality is drastically better than Line's. But prefer Line's stickers :D

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: What's your best VOIP App for calling/texting?

Post by aster » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:25 pm

pakjohn wrote:Used Skype for years but suffered with bandwidth problems such as dropped call, poor connection and echo.
Skype prices have fallen lately which is good. If you have a landline you should also be able to connect via that instead of relying solely on your internet connection, as they should be able to give you a local access number in Singapore.

Btw, are calling cards popular here in Singapore? I saw one ad in the MRT about some telephony company (cannot remember if they offered calling cards or something similar to Skype), but the prices were atrocious...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: What's your best VOIP App for calling/texting?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 7:56 am

aster wrote:
pakjohn wrote:Used Skype for years but suffered with bandwidth problems such as dropped call, poor connection and echo.
Skype prices have fallen lately which is good. If you have a landline you should also be able to connect via that instead of relying solely on your internet connection, as they should be able to give you a local access number in Singapore.

Btw, are calling cards popular here in Singapore? I saw one ad in the MRT about some telephony company (cannot remember if they offered calling cards or something similar to Skype), but the prices were atrocious...
Skype does not provide Singapore numbers. The only numbers you can get are from an arm of Singtel and they all begin with '3', not 8, or 9, or 6.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 2:09 am

I think the same applies to new telcos here, with VQ delivering a landline with some strange 'first digit'. Should still be treated as a landline though. And they should still give you a "local" number to call to place your Skype calls.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:44 am

aster wrote:I think the same applies to new telcos here, with VQ delivering a landline with some strange 'first digit'. Should still be treated as a landline though. And they should still give you a "local" number to call to place your Skype calls.
Skype does not provide local Singapore numbers. Prove this for yourself by visiting their website. I've tried. It doesn't exist. Hello?

When dialing out, you use your Skype app on PC or phone. There is no local number to call to get Skype to a phone. You simply dial the number you want from your Skype app.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:03 am

proxymoron wrote:
Another one to add in the list is WeChat, which is quite popular here in this part of the world and also among the lazy bums like me who dont like to type. You can record your voice message and send to the recipient. Its takes a bit time to get used to, but quite nice way of communication IMO.
You can do that using Watsapp as well. My wife and everyone in her circle have watsapp and have got hooked on to that thing.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:04 am

Maybe something has changed, but I still have an email from them:

==========
Your free Skype To Go number
Great news: because you’ve registered your mobile number (9xxxxxxxxx) with Skype, we’ve set you up with a free Skype To Go number. Now you can call your loved ones abroad at Skype’s great rates even when you’re away from your computer.

Here’s how it works
1. To make a long distance call, simply dial this local Skype To Go number from your registered phone:

+653XXXXXXX Want a number in a different city or country?

2. Then enter the phone number of the person you’d like to call, starting with the country code (e.g. “001”

minit

Post by minit » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 9:54 pm

For my part I use Libon (http://www.libon.com/), very usefull for calling :wink:

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 9:56 pm

[quote="aster"]Maybe something has changed, but I still have an email from them:

==========
Your free Skype To Go number
Great news: because you’ve registered your mobile number (9xxxxxxxxx) with Skype, we’ve set you up with a free Skype To Go number. Now you can call your loved ones abroad at Skype’s great rates even when you’re away from your computer.

Here’s how it works
1. To make a long distance call, simply dial this local Skype To Go number from your registered phone:

+653XXXXXXX Want a number in a different city or country?

2. Then enter the phone number of the person you’d like to call, starting with the country code (e.g. “001”

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 01 May 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, no local number for others calling you, but you can get a local number for dialling out without the need for an internet connection.

The incoming number isn't that helpful here. Its main use is in countries where there are drastic differences between calling a landline vs a mobile number. When it comes to Singapore, it happens to be one of few counties where it makes no difference in price.