Singapore Expats

Letter of Consent can be rejected??

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
m25g

Letter of Consent can be rejected??

Post by m25g » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 5:27 pm

Hi All,

I'm on dependent's pass and I got a job offer and accepted it last Tuesday. Company A applied for the LOC or Letter of Consent at MOM. It was approved yesterday and I should begin my first day of work by next week.
Today I got a call from Company B which I went for an interview and offering me a better pay, I have told them my situation and they are willing to wait for me until Monday for my decision if I will accept the offer.
I called the MOM customer service hotline and told me that Company A will cancel the LOC first so Company B can apply for the LOC again, but the thing is she told me that there is a risk that LOC will not be approved for Company B this time, I ask her what is the basis that LOC will not be approved she said there is no basis??? or maybe she doesn't know??

Hope you guys can help me...

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Letter of Consent can be rejected??

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 5:38 pm

m25g wrote:Hi All,

I'm on dependent's pass and I got a job offer and accepted it last Tuesday. Company A applied for the LOC or Letter of Consent at MOM. It was approved yesterday and I should begin my first day of work by next week.
Today I got a call from Company B which I went for an interview and offering me a better pay, I have told them my situation and they are willing to wait for me until Monday for my decision if I will accept the offer.
I called the MOM customer service hotline and told me that Company A will cancel the LOC first so Company B can apply for the LOC again, but the thing is she told me that there is a risk that LOC will not be approved for Company B this time, I ask her what is the basis that LOC will not be approved she said there is no basis??? or maybe she doesn't know??

Yes, an LOC can be rejected, just as any other pass allowing you to work. I think the MoM officer is right to advise you of the risk, which is probably all she was doing.

MoM generally does not like job hoppers too much. If you want to do that, you should become PR... ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 5:47 pm

As AngMoG said, they do not like job hoppers. BTW, what makes you that certain the Company A will do it? You don't have any contract signed?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 5:51 pm

m25g wrote:...I called the MOM customer service hotline and told me that Company A will cancel the LOC first so Company B can apply for the LOC again, but the thing is she told me that there is a risk that LOC will not be approved for Company B this time, I ask her what is the basis that LOC will not be approved she said there is no basis??? or maybe she doesn't know??
maybe you should know this first: there is probably no such thing as guaranteed unrestricted working and residential rights for a non-citizen in any country in the world.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 8:12 pm

The LoC, for your information, m25g, is given "as a favour" to trailing spouses so as to not make them feel useless here just sitting poolside at the condo drinking Gin & Tonics all day. You are not even required to qualify like the EP holder does (although you cannot be a school leaver and expect them to give you a job), therefore getting an LoC is a blessing that you should NOT TAKE FOR GRANTED. They don't have to give you one. You have no rights to one. Therefore, when you abuse a privilege, they tend to get a bit miffed. The odds of it being approved the 2nd time due to a wishy-washy trailing spouse are greatly reduced when they factor in the stupidity factor. You have been warned. Proceed at your own risk. YMMV

Remember, you are NOT the Foreign Talent. Your spouse is. They are the one with the EP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:15 pm

m25g wrote:Hi All,

Stick with A. After some time see what the market is like. Anything else is prone to failing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:44 am

taxico wrote:
maybe you should know this first: there is probably no such thing as guaranteed unrestricted working and residential rights for a non-citizen in any country in the world.
it used to be easy for trailing spouses / parents etc until 2010 when natives woke up and found out foreign spouses are more privileged than spouses of citizens / PRs...

welcome to reality ...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 22 Mar 2014 2:30 pm

ecureilx wrote:
taxico wrote:
it used to be easy for trailing spouses / parents etc until 2010 when natives woke up and found out foreign spouses are more privileged than spouses of citizens / PRs...

welcome to reality ...
Shit yeah. Spouses of PR's are STILL treated like dirt compared to trailing spouses in my opinion.

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 1:20 am

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
taxico wrote:

welcome to reality ...
Shit yeah. Spouses of PR's are STILL treated like dirt compared to trailing spouses in my opinion.
As are spouses of SG citizens. Nothing has changed on our end, whether it has gotten more difficult for DP holder or not, spouse of SGC/PR are still screwed if we're in the middle income bracket type careers. Ability to work on LOC is a gift that shouldn't be taken for granted.