Singapore Expats

VISITOR ON A ONE 30DAYS ENTRY GIVING BIRTH IN SINGAPORE

Do you have any pregnancy related queries to ask or share? Post them here.
NanaK

VISITOR ON A ONE 30DAYS ENTRY GIVING BIRTH IN SINGAPORE

Post by NanaK » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:11 pm

Hello Every one, My name is Nana Kwame , My wife and i flew to Singapore On the 9th of March2014 to do baby shopping and we intended to stay for 2 weeks,Our Doctor back home in our country gave her an estimated period on which she would deliver the child to be on 23rd April 2014, so we thought we could take a quick turn here, look around , shop and return, we are young couples and this is our first baby so we do not have much idea about alot of things, My wife is smallish in size and due to that we didnt have any one asking or checking if she was okay to fly whiles we was coming. We had 21hours of Flight and when we got here she started having some complication after 3days, so we went to Mount Alvania to check if everything was fine, a doctor there ,after a scan told us my wife was 36weeks plus pregnant and could have the baby anytime so we should be ready and that she cannot fly back at this time cause no airline would accept her and she wont be fit for it...

We check online to see the legal way of having a baby in singapore and we realized you need a Letter from a registered doctor stating applicant's expected date of delivery and whether there is any complication to the pregnancy
Letter from the Embassy or High Commission of applicant's country stating that her newborn child will follow the parent's nationality and a valid travel document of that country will be issued to the newborn child & also Duly completed Form 14* signed by the applicant and a local sponsor (the local sponsor must be either a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident) .

We can get everything needed by ICA and also untake for our child having our country's nattionality except the local sponsor cause its our first time here and we barely even know our way around , aside from using a map to the shopping malls.
Also on the website http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=338 its said there that it would take 6weeks to get the application processed which by then am sure my wife would have long given birth and the baby is weeks old..

We need help and directions on how to get this done the right and easy way because its a matter of life and death and an emergency!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: VISITOR ON A ONE 30DAYS ENTRY GIVING BIRTH IN SINGAPORE

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 2:17 pm

NanaK wrote:Hello Every one, My name is Nana Kwame , My wife and i flew to Singapore On the 9th of March2014 to do baby shopping and we intended to stay for 2 weeks,Our Doctor back home in our country gave her an estimated period on which she would deliver the child to be on 23rd April 2014, so we thought we could take a quick turn here, look around , shop and return, we are young couples and this is our first baby so we do not have much idea about alot of things, My wife is smallish in size and due to that we didnt have any one asking or checking if she was okay to fly whiles we was coming. We had 21hours of Flight and when we got here she started having some complication after 3days, so we went to Mount Alvania to check if everything was fine, a doctor there ,after a scan told us my wife was 36weeks plus pregnant and could have the baby anytime so we should be ready and that she cannot fly back at this time cause no airline would accept her and she wont be fit for it...

We check online to see the legal way of having a baby in singapore and we realized you need a Letter from a registered doctor stating applicant's expected date of delivery and whether there is any complication to the pregnancy
Letter from the Embassy or High Commission of applicant's country stating that her newborn child will follow the parent's nationality and a valid travel document of that country will be issued to the newborn child & also Duly completed Form 14* signed by the applicant and a local sponsor (the local sponsor must be either a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident) .

We can get everything needed by ICA and also untake for our child having our country's nattionality except the local sponsor cause its our first time here and we barely even know our way around , aside from using a map to the shopping malls.
Also on the website http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=237&secid=338 its said there that it would take 6weeks to get the application processed which by then am sure my wife would have long given birth and the baby is weeks old..

We need help and directions on how to get this done the right and easy way because its a matter of life and death and an emergency!
Hello Nana,

The link you provided is for SVP and doesn't really apply in your case, as it is for people planning to have a child in Singapore, i.e. asking for permissions before they come here. In your case, it is unplanned and you are already here. IMO, giving birth is not the issue (though it will certainly be expensive), the hospital's A&E will accept you either way, Hippocratic Oath and such.

I have to say, it was not a very good idea for your wife to fly such a long distance at such a late stage in her pregnancy. Your danger here is that it could be interpreted as an attempt to stay/overstay in SG. In any case, note that the child would not get SG citizenship.

I would strongly suggest that you speak to ICA directly and explain your situation, and ask them for the steps you need to follow. Among other things, I should think:
- You need to register the birth to get a birth certificate: link
- If the birth may happen after your 30 days are over, you need to apply for an extension of your tourist visas at ICA. Be sure to bring a doctor's letter

Also, giving birth in Singapore can easily cost several thousand S$ (I have heard the number 5000 floating around often), much more if there are complications. Nevermind of course the cost of the hotel in the meantime. That is also something you may want to think about if money is an issue; you could think about giving birth in Malaysia, which would likely cost you much less, though an equal if not greater hassle with formalities.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 3:55 pm

I agree with AngMoG's comments/advice. I'm sure first and foremost is the health of your wife and unborn child, but coming after that the financial aspect is a big one to consider. Depending on your financial situation and access to immediate cash, you might need to look at Malaysia as perhaps the only other option available since your wife can no longer fly. Giving birth in Singapore is not cheap, and God forbid if there are complications it can become terribly expensive. I remember seeing a thread on here some time ago about an indian couple who went into labour extremely prematurely (maybe 25 months* or so) in Singapore and then the baby needing to stay in NICU for 2-3 months costing perhaps $1-2k per day. Sorry I know you probably don't want to hear things like this, but better to be aware now when you still have some choices. Wishing you all the best and hope you find a suitable solution !

*edit : 25weeks not months !
Last edited by Beeroclock on Fri, 21 Mar 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 5:45 pm

go talk to your embassy/HC and see how they can help. they are bound to have local contacts/experience you can tap on.

www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=181
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 7:44 pm

Singapore anchor baby fail.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:53 am

PNGMK wrote:Singapore anchor baby fail.
? que?

op. I know enough foreigners who have delivered here, just to boast that the baby was born in Singapore, though some have longer term plan, I.e future benefits for the baby should the baby end up in Singapore one day ....

as long as you can put up the deposit required from the hospital plus guarantee, no issues

based on the country either you need to take the baby to the embassy for an emergency travel certificate post delivery for flight back home or the mission will visit you in the hospital and do the needful ... (like mine ... )

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 22 Mar 2014 2:33 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Singapore anchor baby fail.
? que?

op. I know enough foreigners who have delivered here, just to boast that the baby was born in Singapore, though some have longer term plan, I.e future benefits for the baby should the baby end up in Singapore one day ....

as long as you can put up the deposit required from the hospital plus guarantee, no issues

based on the country either you need to take the baby to the embassy for an emergency travel certificate post delivery for flight back home or the mission will visit you in the hospital and do the needful ... (like mine ... )
Tounge in cheek mate.... anyone with any common sense knows there's no such thing as a Singapore anchor baby.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 22 Mar 2014 2:39 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tounge in cheek mate.... anyone with any common sense knows there's no such thing as a Singapore anchor baby.
got that figured after I posted ...

cheers