Singapore Expats

Changes in EP - Categories dropped

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Changes in EP - Categories dropped

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 2:35 pm

Once again, the EP scheme is being changed: link

This time, the categories are being dropped. No more Q1, P2 and P1 passes, it's all simply EP now. Sounds like a good idea too, though it makes the whole thing a bit less transparent. Checking on MoM website, I found something strange regarding the SAT:
Employers are encouraged to use the online Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to check if the applicant meets the requirements. This tool gives you a preliminary indication of whether the applicant qualifies.

The SAT is accurate. If the SAT indicates that the candidate is not eligible, you should not send the Employment Pass application as it will be rejected. If the SAT indicates that the candidate is eligible, 9 out of 10 of such applications will be approved. The rejections that occur even when the SAT says yes are due to factors that the SAT cannot consider, such as poor company profiles and applicants with adverse records.
Does that mean that 90% of EP applications for eligible persons are being approved? I would find that a bit strange. Not sure if that text is new or not.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 2:49 pm

Interesting. I just did my own evaluation. This is the 1st time I am doing it. Basically you need to enter number of years of experience, occupation, your education, year of passing, date of birth. They have a very comprehensive list of colleges. My college in a remote corner of India, yet it was in the list.

I entered software engineer, 10 year of exp, Bachelor of Engineering, age 34, and salary of $6500(this is the lowest I am willing to accept to work in Singapore) and here's the result:
Result

Based on the information you have provided, the individual is likely to qualify for both Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass.

This does not represent an approval and the result does not take into account:

1) The Employer's Profile (e.g lack of quota for S Passes) and
2) Candidate's Antecedent (e.g previous offence)
These will be evaluated when you make the actual application.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 3:46 pm

WD40, this is exactly what I've been telling everybody on this board since the beginning. The online assessment is only a gauge to apply and be considered, but it is NOT a rubber stamp to say if you meet all on there, you are in like Flint. It still doesn't mean you will be successful. At least now they are also saying what we've always said.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 3:52 pm

I took the assessment when I renewed my EP last month, it took about 4 weeks to renew and I was sitting on my thumb and was a bit worried that it took so long, so i went to the MoM website and took that test and it said I was qualified but that doesn't really mean anything to be honest, just a guideline of sorts.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 4:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:WD40, this is exactly what I've been telling everybody on this board since the beginning. The online assessment is only a gauge to apply and be considered, but it is NOT a rubber stamp to say if you meet all on there, you are in like Flint. It still doesn't mean you will be successful. At least now they are also saying what we've always said.
True, but on their website, they are now claiming a 90% success chance for applicants that are eligible. I am pretty sure that wording won't stay there for very long... :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 5:21 pm

I only use the MOM links. Not third party interpretations. You should too. I edited your post to show the MOM link so it didn't look like you were pushing a commercial link. ;-) But, yeah, you can bet that 9 in 10 won't stay there for long.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 5:37 pm

SMS, I'm ok if you edit the link. I only published the other link previously because it had at least a little background story. I haven't seen an MoM press release on it yet.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 5:43 pm

Although they have removed the naming of categorizations, you can still see that there are 3 categories and they are explicitly based on salary this time compared to earlier when a person could be on Q1 and earn 8K(although not very common)

The categories now are:
3.3k - 4k
4k-8k
8k+

The 1st category 3.3k - 4k cannot even bring their spouse. Isn't this something new? I thought people earning like $3500(Q1 pass holders) could bring their spouse earlier, although not kids. Now it seems spouse and kids are clubbed together. This seems to be the biggest change and could impact a lot of people at the low end who are like just married, dont have kids.

Also that theory of "giving someone a lower pass inspite of getting a higher salary to reduce the collateral damage" now gets thrown out of the window, because now salary alone determines whether you can bring your dependents or not and not the type of pass.

This link shows the original categorizations back before GE 2011

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/guide/asia ... apore.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 6:10 pm

It's also good to note that S pass holders making more than 4K will be treated like the 4~8K EP holders in allowing spouses and children to accompany.
Passes for family members (S Passes)

S Pass applicants whose fixed monthly salary is at least $4,000 a month may apply for the Dependant's Pass (DP) for their family members. The DP application and supporting documents may be submitted together with the S Pass application or separately.

S Pass holders who earn less than $4,000 per month are not allowed to bring in their dependants, i.e. spouses (legally married) and children.

However, if the children of such S Pass holders wish to study in mainstream public schools in Singapore, they will have to pass the Admission Exercise for International Students (AEIS) or Supplementary Admission Exercise for International Students (S-AEIS). For more information on the tests including registration details and test dates, please visit the Ministry of Education's website.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:31 pm

WD40, that is the reason I don't like links to non-government sites. They don't update their info regularly and this leave wrong all over the place. These types of sites are irresponsible, to say the least.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 9:36 am

I found it bit strange that there are people earning 8k (or more than barrier salary) and on a S-Pass. I know quite a few of my friends and colleagues who had to change from EP to S-Pass when they got a salary cut on their contract renewal.
If reducing the salary means change of pass then wouldnt that rule apply when going the other way?
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:05 am

Note that S Pass has only a min salary limit. It doesnt have a maximum salary limit. S Pass is not necessarily a pass meant for low salary earners.
On the contrary this is what MoM site says:
Older applicants would have to command higher salaries to qualify, commensurate with the work experience and quality they are expected to bring
According to the MoM site S Pass is for mid-skill professionals. Its similar to EP but with more restrictions tied to it because probably this pass holder directly compete with the locals and hence MoM wants to make sure that this pass holders numbers are kept in check by having the quota system.

If a previous EP P1 holder has been converted to S pass, then that person has to be very worried. His role/industry is mid-skilled and and not really up to the salary level that he is commanding and also also its a way to push the employer to employ more locals in that role so that the ratio is maintained.

Just curious, what industry are these people who have been downgraded to S Pass. Among my circle of Banking IT, I haven't heard about it. Its only in this forum that I have come across it.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:21 am

Most industries have it happen. The financial and IT sectors not so much. Shipyards, Construction industries, Hospitality/Services industries. The list goes on. You should get out more......

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 9:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most industries have it happen. The financial and IT sectors not so much. Shipyards, Construction industries, Hospitality/Services industries. The list goes on. You should get out more......
Yup.

The ones I got to know were from IT but Non-Banking.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.