Singapore Expats

Do I have a chance in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
triangle

Do I have a chance in Singapore?

Post by triangle » Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:43 pm

Hello to everyone!

Currently I'm searching for a job in Singapore and mostly I am replying with my resume on the job adds published at Jobstreet, Jobsdb and LinkedIn. However I just want to know what my chances are?

To have a clear picture - something about me:

-28 years old, from Europe
-Finished MBA in Asia, Taiwan
-Have another Master in Political Science (public policy and management)
-7 years of experience in Costumer service (3 years as a Group Manager)
-Fluent in English, good Chinese, poor German
-lived and traveled through Asia

Until now I have only received answers that my background is impressive but nothing more.

Thanks

MosesPotatoes

Post by MosesPotatoes » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:28 am

Depends if you are a permanent resident or holding a Dependent's Pass. Its hard for someone to get a job as a foreigner from what I've experienced so far. You'll have better chances if you are a permanent resident

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Do I have a chance in Singapore?

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:58 am

triangle wrote:Hello to everyone!

Currently I'm searching for a job in Singapore and mostly I am replying with my resume on the job adds published at Jobstreet, Jobsdb and LinkedIn. However I just want to know what my chances are?

To have a clear picture - something about me:

-28 years old, from Europe
-Finished MBA in Asia, Taiwan
-Have another Master in Political Science (public policy and management)
-7 years of experience in Costumer service (3 years as a Group Manager)
-Fluent in English, good Chinese, poor German
-lived and traveled through Asia

Until now I have only received answers that my background is impressive but nothing more.

Thanks

More information such as where you are from in Europe and where you live right now, and what your salary expectations would help.

Based on what I see, your chances are very low. At 28, you have two MBA's with no work experience related to them, and you've not stated what it is you'd like to do. I do not see anything, based upon what you have written, that would cause a HR person to pull your resume out for further review.

triangle

Post by triangle » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you for your answer,

I'm from Croatia, so beside Croatian I speak fluently Serbian and Bosnian as well. Currently I live in Taiwan and I had part time working experience in Taiwan as well.

During 7 years I had worked in almost every unit of telecommunication MNC customer department, last 3 years I was working as a Group Manager and I played significant role in post merger optimization of process in CRM. I have learned what I know by working and prior to MBA program. Of course that I'm looking forward to find a job in CS because I have experience and thorough understanding of CRM.

Prior to customer service I had worked as a production supervisor in manufacturing SME, all together 8 years of experience

Anyway I'm not Permanent resident, neither I have Dependent's Pass. I would be happy with salary of 3000 US$.

Thanks in advance!

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 1:35 pm

Not to be too much of a negative nelly, but if by telecommunications customer service you mean you've worked in the call center area of your MNC, you may have difficulty finding work in Singapore (despite your Masters degrees). Your skills may be seen as easily duplicated by a Singapore PR or Citizen. If you haven't already checked, you may want to contact your former MNC employer to see if they're open to re-hiring you and transferring you to Singapore either now or later.

Good luck in your search!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 2:49 pm

triangle wrote:Thank you for your answer,

I'm from Croatia, so beside Croatian I speak fluently Serbian and Bosnian as well. Currently I live in Taiwan and I had part time working experience in Taiwan as well.

During 7 years I had worked in almost every unit of telecommunication MNC customer department, last 3 years I was working as a Group Manager and I played significant role in post merger optimization of process in CRM. I have learned what I know by working and prior to MBA program. Of course that I'm looking forward to find a job in CS because I have experience and thorough understanding of CRM.

Prior to customer service I had worked as a production supervisor in manufacturing SME, all together 8 years of experience

Anyway I'm not Permanent resident, neither I have Dependent's Pass. I would be happy with salary of 3000 US$.
Not to be harsh, but the differences between Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian are very small; I would generally present it as the same language. :twisted:

If you are planning to work in a call center environment in an MNC, Singapore is probably not a good destination. Even the local telcos are outsourcing their call centers to the Philippines and other cheap destinations. On the manufacturing side, China is probably a much better destination (with job opportunities for overseeing production for non-Asians).

With your background, I am not entirely sure why you would want to move to Singapore to work. Especially on a USD 3K salary.

triangle

Post by triangle » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 3:13 pm

...about the languages; exactly, that is why I didn't noted those languages in the first place, first post.

It doesn't have to be telecom contact center necessary, it could be any customer service of another service company. As the matter of fact I have seen just few telecom contact center job adds in last few months but there are other industries and usually my references are exceeding those which are required.

3000 US because I'm not gonna live alone and it would be unreasonable to ask more (there are exceptions) since that I'm non resident expat or am I wrong?

Thanks

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 3:40 pm

I would say it's definitely tough but not impossible. Key thing is attitude and expectations. You're salary idea seems realistic and you have a range of strengths and qualifications. I think you should be able to get your foot in the door somewhere, and once you have a job, it then becomes easier to find a better one. LinkedIn and ideally "real" networking are a much better chance than online adverts. So just to give a slightly more upbeat outlook, although as I said at the outset it will never be easy.....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 9:54 pm

triangle wrote:During 7 years I had worked in almost every unit of telecommunication MNC customer department, last 3 years I was working as a Group Manager and I played significant role in post merger optimization of process in CRM.
The way MNC's do this kind of thing these days, Singapore just isn't in the picture. They do global demand management and process design out of headquarters which are located in Europe, UK, or the US.

Or, they buy their services from suppliers which may have a co-located head office but actually have services fulfilled in Malaysia, Philippines or India.

If you are into telcoms, then clearly you need to look at all the big providers in the area... BT, Verizon, and C&W come to mind... as well as sub providers and the local telcos.