Singapore Expats

I want to sue the government!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
checkmate

I want to sue the government!

Post by checkmate » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 2:37 am

Does anyone know, or possibly have had experience in sueing a government before? Reason I ask, is that I need to sue the US Government for something major that happened to me in the past. I don't want to get into details here but is something like this possible from Singapore or do I need to go to America to accomplish my feat? I know many people may say that I would never stand a chance at going against a government but it's just one part of the government that I want to go after. Nonetheless, I need a really good lawyer who has balls of steel so can anyone recommend one or two? If I can't do it from here, guess I have to leave for awhile. Any advice? Thanks.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: I want to sue the government!

Post by ksl » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 3:53 am

checkmate wrote:Does anyone know, or possibly have had experience in sueing a government before? Reason I ask, is that I need to sue the US Government for something major that happened to me in the past. I don't want to get into details here but is something like this possible from Singapore or do I need to go to America to accomplish my feat? I know many people may say that I would never stand a chance at going against a government but it's just one part of the government that I want to go after. Nonetheless, I need a really good lawyer who has balls of steel so can anyone recommend one or two? If I can't do it from here, guess I have to leave for awhile. Any advice? Thanks.
well to be honest, i think you should look at the court of human rights, this, i believe can be taken up outside of the states.

Very costly affair i would think outside of Europe, in some cases in Europe you may qualify for free asistance, depending on income and of course the evidence. Also many in UK for example, take on cases no win no fee. But the evidence is of course the ball park, if they feel they cannot win, they would not take the case.

In Asia, I think many would take on the case, just to take your money, with no light at the end of the tunnel, your just throwing money away, and people will take it! no problem!!!

Many times i have considered taking the UK to court! best of luck

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 6:55 am

Government at all levels in the United States is shielded from many types of lawsuits as a matter of law. For example, you can't sue because your car was banged up by driving through an unrepaired pothole. Only recently was it possible to sue a city for an unlawful death caused by a policeman.

Your first line of action would be to determine if the lawsuit you want to bring is even actionable under the limitation of liability afforded most governments. If it is not, you would have to pursue overturning the law, possibly all the way to the Supreme Court, before you could file your suit. This happens very very rarely but it does happen.

You could start by doing a google search for american law firms that handle government lawsuits and contacting them online. Contact several... you'd be surprised how ignorant lawyers can be... or maybe you wouldn't.

wapeka

suing the us gove..whatever for?????

Post by wapeka » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 9:51 pm

why do you want to sue the us governemtn? if you can let us know even a little bit or may be even a hint i would be of help to you.

sizzlinghot909

wapeka what are u talking about

Post by sizzlinghot909 » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 3:48 am

wapeka what on earth are you saying? don't you know that you can never sue the american government. it is the most powerful nation in the world with an equally strong government? lol you had me worried for a while hahaha.

Shadou

Post by Shadou » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 2:15 pm

Sizzlinghot909,

I beg to differ with you. You and anyone else can sue anyone that they want, including the US Government. There is no such laws preventing you from doing such a thing. As long as you have a good lawyer and a ton of money, you can go for it. I have heard of numerous cases that have gone up against the government and a majority of them have won. When people talk about suing the government they may be talking about one portion of it and not the government as a whole.