Singapore Expats

Catholics & Christian in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 6:32 pm

morenangpinay wrote:christians are born again christians
Not according to some I've talked to, apparently.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Catholics & Christian in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 6:47 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
You said she's getting married in "a church." Is it a Catholic church or is it a non-denominal or unitarian church? If in a Catholic church, have they made marital arrangements and spoke with a priest?
I have been to few Catholic churches here ... Church of nativity, St Ignatius, star of the sea, St Lourdes ,.. plus plus

after each service without fail the father will announce that the church considers marriage between a Catholic and non Catholic as illegal and both must produce the confirmation to baptise their child ...

though I know few Catholic married to non Catholic who managed to get their kid baptized .. in Singapore :) :)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 6:55 pm

So the Catholics are not Christians is a South East Asian thing?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 7:08 pm

nakatago wrote:
rdueej wrote:then does this mean that religions are only human constructs
Yes.

If you think about it, an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent entity will find all this trivial and petty. Even if you don't want to think about that, think about the size of our planet compared to our solar system, then our galaxy, then to the rest of the universe.

We terrans are pretty insignificant to the rest of the cosmos. Makes condemning one another* in the name of the same god look really silly as the rest of the cosmos chugs along.

*Catholics vs Protestants, Muslims vs Christians, Sunnis vs Shiites, Jews vs Christians, Muslims vs Jews--and those are just the Abrahamic religions
I agree with you, I was just trying to be diplomatic to avoid offending anyone. In my view, religion has grown by providing answers to questions unresolvable within the current extents of human knowledge. The beneficial side-effect of which has been the ability to exercise immense control over the masses (divide and conquer).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 7:36 pm

Barnsley wrote:So the Catholics are not Christians is a South East Asian thing?
Nope, world wide in my experience.

As a born-again Christian who worships in a protestant church I consider Catholics to be Christians (i.e. literally followers of Christ) but not necessarily saved unless I know they have made an adult declaration of faith. Being christened a baby or worshiping statues of Mary or making tithe doesn't work. You need to actually accept Christ as a conscious decision. I have a few saved Catholic friends.

As per the Word itself:

Romans 10:9 (New International Version)

9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:26 pm

ecureilx wrote:
though I know few Catholic married to non Catholic who managed to get their kid baptized .. in Singapore :) :)
My wife married an agnostic who had been married and divorced twice before. Both of my children were baptized here in Singapore in the Catholic Church and have been raised as blinkered Catholics all their lives (25 & 30 today for my daughter).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:29 pm

Hell, if there is any, is right here, right now. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:48 pm

Barnsley wrote:
x9200 wrote:Every Catholic is a Christian but not every Christian is a Catholic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity
So where does the disconnect here come from.

I am still very surprised that the girl in office believes catholics are not christians and her catholic husband to be is of the same belief
x9200 and nakatago are of course correct.

This disconnect can only come from simple ignorance, and, blindly following the blind.

But funny what your coworker says. Having come in contact over the past few years here with Protestants, Baptists and Catholics, it was pretty eye-opening to learn how anti-Catholic the other denominations are, and how non-anti-other-denominations the Catholics are.

I've heard some rather amusing and misguided fallacies about Catholics from other Christians here. Amazing how some concoct their own interpretations and how those proliferate.

This has been my experience, YMMV.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 2:21 am

Born Catholic here (though non practicing) - Catholics were the 1st Christians. Not all Christians are Catholics of course. I think this can be changed with a simple terminology change - it's called Catholic Christian vs. Protestant Christian ("CC's" and "PC's"!)

Having Catholic as one category, and Christian as another category is just plain wrong. It's PROTESTANT, not CHRISTIAN.

There's a wide spectrum of "Protestant" faiths - those that practically adhere to Catholic ritual with distinct stances (ex: Episcopal/Presbyterian/Anglican), to those somewhere in the middle (Methodists), those that are more evangelical in nature (Baptists, Born-Again Christians, etc), and the other fringe Christians (Iglesia Ni Cristo for the Pilipinos, Jehovah's Witnesses which are banned in Singapore, and the Mormons).

Then you have the 'orthodox' traditional Christian churches that broke into their sub-groups soon after or at the same time of the Catholic Church creation - i.e. the Coptic Christians, the Eastern Orthodox Christians, the Armenian Church, etc... They are clearly Christian, but not necessarily Protestant... So I guess that answers my question :shock: Catholics vs "Other" Christians

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 3:36 pm

Catholics were not the first Christians: Ethiopian, Coptic, Armenian and a few others became distinct in 431a.D. Neither is there just Catholic and Protestant. The church has split several times - one of the biggest was the so-called Shism (1054a.D.) into Orthodox and Latin branches, with the latter dividing into nowaday's Catholic and Protestant lines during the Reformation (1517a.D.). The Protestants continually split further into sects, some of them obscure, until today.
It is more appropriate (and also better for mutual understanding and against discrmination) to see the Christian world as continuum of gradually changing (both over geography and time) faiths. There is no space for dogmatism here!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 4:14 pm

In one group women only give hand jobs till they get married.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late