Singapore Expats

Where can I buy a Rolex?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 9:53 pm

I always ask myself whether a watch is supposed to be accurate, durable and reliable or whether it's supposed to be a status symbol like a lady's handbag.

Having said that I have a few nice watches (nothing worth as much as a luxury car though) that I rarely use due to practical reasons like not wanting to dive into the pool or take a shower in one. Bit of a waste imo.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:18 pm

I actually reckon I could get a $20k watch, and then when out wear a tennis sweat-band over it.

I'm happy I have it. I'm happy I'd not be 'shouting anything'. No one is going to mug me and chop my arm off either.

But more seriously. What's the 'kin point of working your nuts off to make it, and then when you do, decide that you kinda morally can't spend or enjoy any of it? I do NOT want to leave what I have to anyone (beyond ensuring my wife is OK). What - someone who's done eff all, a virtual stranger, has a greater call on lavishing my £ than I have myself? ... :???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:01 am

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Just playing the devil's advocate:

Well if one could afford, why not? It is his business with his money.

(Not that I would spend thousands on a watch)
How much would you (or say the average woman since I know you better :D) spend on jewelry or a fancy handbag? One month's salary? Half a month's?

'Nuff said
I bought good-quality knock-offs of a few of those in Shanghai that were near perfect. I got it down to about 600 RMB for three of them - ~$120sgd. All of the wife's friends were impressed with the quality.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:09 am

aster wrote:I always ask myself whether a watch is supposed to be accurate, durable and reliable or whether it's supposed to be a status symbol like a lady's handbag.
Status symbol/fashion. If you wanted accuracy, you'd use a smart phone that syncs to mobile networks. For Durability/Reliability/Accuracy you'd get a Japanese quartz watch.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:58 am

zzm9980 wrote:For Durability/Reliability/Accuracy you'd get a Japanese quartz watch.
Which is exactly what I wear, with a lightweight titanium case.

I believe that when a watch stops working you simply need to replace the battery. And if - after that - it still doesn't work, you ought to discard it...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 7:30 am

aster wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:For Durability/Reliability/Accuracy you'd get a Japanese quartz watch.

I believe that when a watch stops working you simply need to replace the battery. And if - after that - it still doesn't work, you ought to discard it...
I have a Citizen eco-drive which suffices:

* hardly needs to replace a battery (because ordinary batteries conk out at the most inconvenient time) since light charges it far better than ordinary solar watches
* sapphire glass (I tend to inadvertently bang watches against things and scratch the glass)
* metal band so if I need to dress up, it "matches"

The only criterion missing is the band being made of titanium; it would be nice if it were since it would light weight and very scratch resistant. But when I bought this, the titanium watches looked so tacky and very expensive so I settled with steel.

< 300 bucks, yo.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 8:17 am

I have not used watches for well over 20 years at this point. Never really needed one even when all the gadgetary electronics were still not around in the current abundance - clocks were always everywhere, at home, cars on the streets.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 9:06 am

I have two Casios. One for water sports, one for everything else.

The Casio's Baby-G has served me well for 7 years now. Although the straps now looked like it has seen the best days of my swimming and lifeguarding life, who really cares about how it looks as long as you can go down into water and be able to tell time. Unless I pick up diving seriously, I am OK with it not being diver-friendly.

The other Casio "for everything else" is from the old Beside range. Probably it has been 10 years since it left that watch shop. First owned by my sister, I happily took over it when she got bored of it and wanted to get rid of it 5 years later for something "with better status symbol". Dressy enough to be worn with a dress and yet practical enough to be worn with casual wear or when travelling.

Both of these watches probably costed less than SGD250 back then.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 9:21 am

aster wrote:
Ooh titanium, that frightfully posh, $$$, and high-class!! :P :wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:17 pm

x9200 wrote:I have not used watches for well over 20 years at this point. Never really needed one even when all the gadgetary electronics were still not around in the current abundance - clocks were always everywhere, at home, cars on the streets.
I kinda like having somewhere constant to tell the time, in spite and despite of having gadgets with me. It may be a personality quirk but I like the simplicity of a wristwatch. I don't want a stopwatch, alarm or GPS with one.

JR8 wrote:
aster wrote:
Titanium ain't exactly renowned for being posh and renowned.. It's more about being tough and lightweight...

...and it helps if the wearer likes matte-but-metallic finishes. It's functional first; being metallic just happened to be a happy consequence.
Last edited by nakatago on Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:19 pm

If I were to make a frivolous watch purchase right now, I'd get this:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/ ... f-the-moon

Looks awesome, but too casual to be an all-purpose watch. Quite expensive by my budget, but well within bonus or tax-refund range... My god it's so sexy........

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:21 pm

JR8 wrote:
aster wrote:
A titanium Citizen or Seiko is well under S$1000. Victronix makes some decent ones around $1k too. Not the S$1k watch I'd buy, but they're not bad looking.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:22 pm

zzm9980 wrote:If I were to make a frivolous watch purchase right now, I'd get this:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/ ... f-the-moon

Looks awesome, but too casual to be an all-purpose watch. Quite expensive by my budget, but well within bonus or tax-refund range... My god it's so sexy........
I like it too except for the canvass bracelet. In humid Singapore, that thing won't last a day without soaking up and stinking in sweat, even with the leather backing.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:48 pm

JR8 wrote:
aster wrote:
Yup, comes with an ultra-posh silicone band (and I have the poshier, orange version). :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 1:06 pm

nakatago wrote: Titanium ain't exactly renowned for being posh and renowned.. It's more about being tough and lightweight...

...and it helps if the wearer likes matte-but-metallic finishes. It's functional first; being metallic just happened to be a happy consequence.

Are Titanium watches cheap/everyday?

They weren't last time I noticed. Maybe times have changed...