Singapore Expats

Where can I buy a Rolex?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 9:42 am

If one will engage in a hobby that involves collecting things, one could at least learn some proper photography for it.

Indulging in the finer things in life and showing them off doesn't have to be skeevy:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=rolex

Speaking of which, SMS, do you have a photo gallery of your belt buckles?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:01 am

Ouch. I was trying NOT to get into that. :oops:

I do but I don't. I don't have them in an online holding area but I have them all linked to a Spreadsheet and also in Filemaker as well. (currently roughly 75% of the collection is in the US and 25% is here in Singapore).

Actually, I was trying this past week to figure out if there was some way I could use cloud storage like Dropbox (which I have but only the free amount). I was looking at Google Drive last night at home as I'd like to have them in the cloud as I often update the spreadsheet & database while at work, but it seems that there is an issue with access when there are docs stored on a network but the basic minimum storage size is there IF I don't have to convert the spreadsheet to the Google sheet. I'm assuming I can just store my own files there, right? (Dropbox free doesn't have enough capacity to handle the files/photo's/databases without purchasing additional space. Google Drive does if I can just access my own files without creating "google docs".
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:02 am

By the way, you've got a nice collection there. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, I was trying this past week to figure out if there was some way I could use cloud storage like Dropbox (which I have but only the free amount). I was looking at Google Drive last night at home as I'd like to have them in the cloud as I often update the spreadsheet & database while at work, but it seems that there is an issue with access when there are docs stored on a network but the basic minimum storage size is there IF I don't have to convert the spreadsheet to the Google sheet. I'm assuming I can just store my own files there, right? (Dropbox free doesn't have enough capacity to handle the files/photo's/databases without purchasing additional space. Google Drive does if I can just access my own files without creating "google docs".
Google drive should let you upload your files; I've uploaded plenty of stuff there. I'm not sure though about being able to edit your excel files in-situ.

Either way, it would be a good idea to keep something like that in the cloud with constantly-refreshed copy in your computer. You get it backed up and it's accessible anywhere you can get an internet connection.

And what would the NSA benefit from looking through your collection? They're collecting so much data, they're drowning in it. I say, let's give them even more (irrelevant) data and mess with the signal-to-noise ratio.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:00 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I do not have the privilege of owning expensive toys. So try this as my hobby: running, swimming and triathlons.
Hobbies people ridicule don't all have to cost money. I can think of another one: "I"? :P
I may be wrong but regardless how expensive the hobby is, reasonable people avoid presenting themselves in the same pictures with their collection, unless it is required by the press or something similar. And we are talking about Rolexes, what sort of hobby is this? Am I wrong assuming that most of these people own 2-3 pcs max? Is this a collection or can really be called a hobby? If they bought it because they liked it (the look, design, reliability) I don't get the need to show it to the world with the owner inside the picture. If I like something that much I want to share my joy with the whole world, I post a picture of this thing not myself and this would be already very thick if the thing is expensive unless this is a closed forum of equally reach people.

I could better understand this kind of urge if this required a significant effort making the whole collection unique but sorry, what is it that unique for some probably semi-random, even most expensive watches if again the whole collection is limited to 2-3 pcs?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:28 pm

x9200 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I do not have the privilege of owning expensive toys. So try this as my hobby: running, swimming and triathlons.
Hobbies people ridicule don't all have to cost money. I can think of another one: "I"? :P
I may be wrong but regardless how expensive the hobby is, reasonable people avoid presenting themselves in the same pictures with their collection, unless it is required by the press or something similar. And we are talking about Rolexes, what sort of hobby is this? Am I wrong assuming that most of these people own 2-3 pcs max? Is this a collection or can really be called a hobby? If they bought it because they liked it (the look, design, reliability) I don't get the need to show it to the world with the owner inside the picture. If I like something that much I want to share my joy with the whole world, I post a picture of this thing not myself and this would be already very thick if the thing is expensive unless this is a closed forum of equally reach people.

I could better understand this kind of urge if this required a significant effort making the whole collection unique but sorry, what is it that unique for some probably semi-random, even most expensive watches if again the whole collection is limited to 2-3 pcs?

I don't really follow your point.

My defense basically started because OSOD implied anyone who owns an expensive watch is a retard. Other people came to agree, and I'm not sure if they were actually agreeing with what he said or just with the specific photos he posted (from a 4chan type site no less).

If you're specifically criticizing the people he posted photos of that were consciosly being douche-bags about their watches, then I agree and am not defending them. But quite a few of them weren't, and those were just photos that some keyboard warrior on the Internet somewhere thought the subject looked nerdy/like a loser and they happened to be wearing a watch.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:43 pm

Oh, ok, but I haven't understood his point as "you have Rolex" = "you are a retard". If this was the case then I am with you.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 12:49 am

x9200 wrote:Oh, ok, but I haven't understood his point as "you have Rolex" = "you are a retard". If this was the case then I am with you.
OP asks where to buy a Rolex at a discount in Singapore. His reply:
PNGMK wrote:Why you want to look like a 'tard?

The link below shows some posers from a Rolex forum... they ALL like like morons to me.

http://f2bb.com/bbs/show_topic/418283
Not sure how else he could have meant it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 7:21 am

Duno, maybe I'm giving him too much credit but he said "look like", not "are" plus a bunch of photos with many people showing off their Rolexes.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 9:01 am

After reading this, I realised we have been alluding to two different things here. I personally have no issue on whatever sort of hobbies one chooses to indulge in.

My "oh gawd my eyes" comment was actually on how tasteless the photos were. Period.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:23 am

the lynx wrote: My "oh gawd my eyes" comment was actually on how tasteless the photos were. Period.
But interesting none the less. Just goes to show how varied the world is out there.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 1:55 pm

My brother is just about to buy himself a Rolex as his 50th Birthday gift I can't wait to see if he posts a picture in Facebook. I will of course tease him mercilessly :wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 6:28 pm

Maybe it's just coincidence or maybe the email I use for this forum has rogue cookies (note: it's not gmail) but this landed in my spam folder:
High Quality Luxury Replicas That Are An EXACT Replica
Even a Jewler Can't Tell Our Replicas apart from the real thing

COMPARE MSRP VS Our Price On A Handful Of Our High End Replicas

Rolex Submariner 2 Toned MSRP $11,700.00 VS Our Rolex Submariner 2 Toned (Replica) $129
Rolex Explorer MSRP $6,325.00 VS Our Rolex Explorer (Replica) $89
Rolex Day Date MSRP $31,350.00 VS Our Roloex Day Date (Replica) $109
Breitling Avenger MSRP $12,440.00 VS Our Breitling Avenger(Replica) $119
Louis Vuitton Thats Love Canvas Tote MSRP $1720 VS Our Louis Vuitton Thats Love Canvas Tote (Replica) $179

SAVE Thousands and make Him Or Her VERY HAPPY THIS YEAR!

Get Yourself one as well and save an ADDITIONAL 15% !

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 8:28 pm

I dont know about Rolex but last weekend I wanted to buy a watch for my wife and we headed to Mustafa and searched for lots of watches and finally found that the Indian watch manufacturer Titan actually has the best design. It cost only $90 but the was better than any of the Swiss watches there. Here's the watch.

http://365bazaar.in/index.php?route=pro ... ct_id=3991

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:31 pm

Wd40 wrote:I dont know about Rolex but last weekend I wanted to buy a watch for my wife and we headed to Mustafa and searched for lots of watches and finally found that the Indian watch manufacturer Titan actually has the best design. It cost only $90 but the was better than any of the Swiss watches there. Here's the watch.

http://365bazaar.in/index.php?route=pro ... ct_id=3991
Bolded the key word in your assertion.

I've seen plenty of Titans and actually owned one. I can assure you it's not "better" than any semi-decent Swiss watch. Just better than the ones at Mustafa, maybe.