Singapore Expats

How to contribute to US IRA while working in Singapore

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 3:03 am

How to contribute to US IRA while working in Singapore

Post by sarkarp » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:32 pm


I'm a US citizen who got transferred to Singapore. I have sold my US residence. I have an IRA with Fidelity, but they wouldn't accept any more contributions and also won't allow me to transfer money between mutual funds because I don't have US address any more.

Does anyone have similar experience? Do you know of any company that will allow me to open an IRA account and then rollover my Fidelity IRA? I already checked with Vanguard and ING direct. They won't do it.

If I give a friend or relative's address in US as contact address for these accounts then these firms will allow me to have IRA account. But if I do that do I need to pay the state tax for the state of that address?

Similarly I cannot buy or sell funds in the WROS account either.

Any suggestion?


P Sarkar

User avatar
Posts: 757
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Tropical cosmopolitan island

Post by maneo » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:45 am

You might try checking with OptionsXpress.

They did not seem to mind me having an overseas address.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests