Singapore Expats

Hotspot for Pre-Paid SIngTel, M1 & StarHub SIM?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
tks

Hotspot for Pre-Paid SIngTel, M1 & StarHub SIM?

Post by tks » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:16 pm

I am guessing this is the best place to ask this question.

Anyone knows if the hotspot (tethering) function has been enabled or disabled for Pre-Paid SIM cards for SingTel, M1 & StarHub?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hotspot for Pre-Paid SIngTel, M1 & StarHub SIM?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:44 pm

tks wrote:I am guessing this is the best place to ask this question.

Anyone knows if the hotspot (tethering) function has been enabled or disabled for Pre-Paid SIM cards for SingTel, M1 & StarHub?
you mean if you have data on your sim you want to share?

that is nothing to do with your sim. it is all to do with your phone's os

to answer your query in case you are lost, it is enabled ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 4:32 am

ecureilx wrote:
tks wrote:I am guessing this is the best place to ask this question.

you mean if you have data on your sim you want to share?

that is nothing to do with your sim. it is all to do with your phone's os

to answer your query in case you are lost, it is enabled ...
You're incorrect on the first part. Phone carriers can set a policy on the SIM to disable the tethering function if the SIM is inserted into a device which supports such "functionality". US Carriers often do this. If you try to turn it on, you're given a pop-up prompting you to call customer service and enable it. This doesn't work in all phones though. An example: AT&T in the US will not allow you to enable tethering on a SIM card that has the unlimited international data option also enabled. But if you put it in certain older Android phones, it will still work.

On the second part of the question: Singaporean telecos do not set the SIM to prevent you from turning on the mobile hotspot.

tks

Post by tks » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 9:02 am

Hi ecureilx

No, I am not lost at all.

Hi zzm9980

You are absolutely right in that some telcos disable the tethering function on the phone, hence my query. We are of course assuming that we are using phones that support this function e.g iPhone.

I have a local post-paid StarHub line, and I am aware that all the local telcos do not disable the tethering function on the post-paid lines. But I am not sure about the pre-paid lines. I read that SingTel disables the tethering function for pre-paid SIM cards. Not sure about the rest.

I just need to verify this for friends visiting, so that I can advise them correctly.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 9:24 am

tks wrote:Hi ecureilx

No, I am not lost at all.

Hi zzm9980

You are absolutely right in that some telcos disable the tethering function on the phone, hence my query. We are of course assuming that we are using phones that support this function e.g iPhone.

I have a local post-paid StarHub line, and I am aware that all the local telcos do not disable the tethering function on the post-paid lines. But I am not sure about the pre-paid lines. I read that SingTel disables the tethering function for pre-paid SIM cards. Not sure about the rest.

I just need to verify this for friends visiting, so that I can advise them correctly.
I've used it with M1 and SingTel pre-paid cards in an iPad Mini. If they're concerned about pre-paid data primarily, I suggest M1 as they're the only pre-paid card that will give you LTE (assuming your device supports it).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 9:38 am

zzm9980 wrote:
You're incorrect on the first part. Phone carriers can set a policy on the SIM to disable the tethering function if the SIM is inserted into a device which supports such "functionality". US Carriers often do this. If you try to turn it on, you're given a pop-up prompting you to call customer service and enable it. This doesn't work in all phones though. An example: AT&T in the US will not allow you to enable tethering on a SIM card that has the unlimited international data option also enabled. But if you put it in certain older Android phones, it will still work.

On the second part of the question: Singaporean telecos do not set the SIM to prevent you from turning on the mobile hotspot.
interesting to know .., btw, I have used pre paid in Malaysia and Philippines ... digi, Maxis, TM, smart, globe,, ..none of them stopped me from making my Huawei on Android becoming a hot spot ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:53 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

interesting to know .., btw, I have used pre paid in Malaysia and Philippines ... digi, Maxis, TM, smart, globe,, ..none of them stopped me from making my Huawei on Android becoming a hot spot ...
It's very unlikely to happen unless they're offering unlimited data on that prepaid card; some do for X days/hours.

tks

Post by tks » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:57 am

Hi zzm9800

Do you mean to say that you have tried M1 and SingTel pre-paid and the hotspot function was not disabled? The data connection speed is not important. There is a large group coming, and some of them will purchase the pre-paid SIM (with voice and data) while the rest will likely just share the connection. Hence, the hotspot function becomes important.

Hi ecureilx

In Australia, Optus used to disable hotspot function. I recently went to Australia and used Vodafone pre-paid. Hotspot function was not disabled.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1915020

tks

Post by tks » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:45 pm

Guys,

I called customer service for all 3 telcos and this is what I am told the position as of today:

SingTel: Hotspot function "not available" on pre-paid. Read: DISABLED

StarHub: Hotspot function available on pre-paid.

M1: Hotspot function "not supported" on pre-paid. read: DISABLED

Note: Nano SIM (for iphone 5/5s) available from airport for SingTel and M1. For StarHub, nano SIM only available from StarHub shop.

Hope incoming travellers find the above information useful.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 4:39 pm

OP...

I use a prepaid SIM by M1 on my 4S, and even the data plan is also prepaid. (Plan is called Sunsurf)

I can use it as a hotspot...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 5:14 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
It's very unlikely to happen unless they're offering unlimited data on that prepaid card; some do for X days/hours.
hotspot worked regardless I was on unli or not ... before I figured unli is cheaper sometimes :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 5:22 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
hotspot worked regardless I was on unli or not ... before I figured unli is cheaper sometimes :)
What on earth is "unli"?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 5:49 pm

"unli"mited? 8-)
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

tks

Post by tks » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 6:03 pm

Akimbo wrote:OP...

I use a prepaid SIM by M1 on my 4S, and even the data plan is also prepaid. (Plan is called Sunsurf)

I can use it as a hotspot...
Were you actually able to use the pre-paid SIM on your mobile phone and enable hotspot on your mobile phone. I called M1 again and a different customer service officer confirmed that hotspot (or tethering) is not supported on M1 prepaid SIM cards.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about using the card on a pocket WiFi device or non-standard mobile phones like jail broken iPhones. That is of course possible.

If what you reported is true, then M1 is officially saying no when the answer is yes.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 7:58 pm

Akimbo wrote:"unli"mited? 8-)

yessss

unlimited

tks: customer service people answer from scripts ... did you ask the cs person if they have done it ....

fret not.