Singapore Expats

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:One thing has been puzzling me since this whole thing broke. The pilot, with 30+ years flying experience with MAS built a whole flight simulator in his home. Why? With his tenure at MAS, I reckon they would have let him use their simulators any time he wanted. )
unlike your time now sim time isn't free ... heck even potential pilots joining most airlines have to pay to use simulator .. to prove their currency

it has become so bad ... just like flight stewards in India paying to fly ... so are there enough pilots ... some airlines have found charging for sim time as a revenue stream ..
I agree with SMS. I also think, horribly, that the pilot (whether the original or a hijacker) climbed to 45,000 (well above the normal 777 limit) feet to kill everyone on board who wasn't wearing a mask via O2 starvation.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The US may well be on to something.....

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ng/284414/
A FB contact posted these today, they seem pretty sensible:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/ ... est-clues/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/ ... -be-found/

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 1:48 pm

So a Malaysian officer says it was hijacked though I want to hear it officially otherwise they will come out tomorrow and deny it again

Maybe the turning off and on again of the transponderwas a clue from the pilot that the authorities should not take everything at face value?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 2:18 pm

morenangpinay wrote:So a Malaysian officer says it was hijacked though I want to hear it officially otherwise they will come out tomorrow and deny it again

Maybe the turning off and on again of the transponderwas a clue from the pilot that the authorities should not take everything at face value?
Where did it say the TXR was turned off and on? The two transponders that could be controlled from inside the aircraft both went off - 14 minutes apart from each other!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 3:26 pm

PNGMK wrote:[]

I agree with SMS. I also think, horribly, that the pilot (whether the original or a hijacker) climbed to 45,000 (well above the normal 777 limit) feet to kill everyone on board who wasn't wearing a mask via O2 starvation.
how? unless a window was opened to bleed pressurization inside the plane???

scratches in my head

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 3:45 pm

PNGMK wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:So a Malaysian officer says it was hijacked though I want to hear it officially otherwise they will come out tomorrow and deny it again

Where did it say the TXR was turned off and on? The two transponders that could be controlled from inside the aircraft both went off - 14 minutes apart from each other!

Oh! Okay thought the one transponder was turned on and off.my No need to be dramatic with the exclamation point

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 8:50 pm

Just got back from Sydney 7 hour flight on a 777.. needless to say the atmosphere in the plane was tense most of the time.. everyone around me seemed palpably happy that the plane landed in Singapore without any dramas. I was one of those too, it's easy to say aah look the Boeing is safe, but when incidents like this happen and you are on a long flight one must find a way to relieve stress. I am grateful for those gin and tonics that soothed my nerves!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:51 pm

The latest update is that the plane could be near Australia :o
http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-mal ... 34ubg.html

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:15 pm

Wd40 wrote:The latest update is that the plane could be near Australia :o
most intriguing saga... Could there still be some very slim chance they're alive ?!?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 15 Mar 2014 11:39 pm

Beeroclock wrote:
Wd40 wrote:The latest update is that the plane could be near Australia :o
most intriguing saga... Could there still be some very slim chance they're alive ?!?
same question I asked before ... where could you land a 777 at dark hours ... (8 am Malaysia is still like 5 am plus in the western side ...) and where could you hide it?

unless it was a major operation, with a lot of planning ...

and why aren't the hijackers making any demands or gloating about it?

btw, the largest planes stolen were an IL 76 that escaped while under Taliban custody,- the crew flew it away to safety ... and the other one was a 727 stolen by a solo pilot ... and disappeared ....

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 8:08 am

I'm just curious to know who foots the bill for this search and rescue mission? The costs must run into millions of dollars already
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 9:02 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm just curious to know who foots the bill for this search and rescue mission? The costs must run into millions of dollars already
unlike in us of a. in this side of the world I don't think people will sue for the cost of search ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 9:08 am

On today's 'Squirrel's Conjecture's'...
ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm just curious to know who foots the bill for this search and rescue mission? The costs must run into millions of dollars already
unlike in us of a. in this side of the world I don't think people will sue for the cost of search ...
Why would anyone sue for the cost even in the US? That kind of stuff is pretty much limited to when a single person does something stupid like climbs a mountain at a dangerous time of the year when it's closed for safety reasons, and the climber calls in their own search and rescue because they get lost or stranded.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 9:43 am

zzm9980 wrote: Why would anyone sue for the cost even in the US? That kind of stuff is pretty much limited to when a single person does something stupid like climbs a mountain at a dangerous time of the year when it's closed for safety reasons, and the climber calls in their own search and rescue because they get lost or stranded.
I see us coast guard often publishing cost of search.

I presumed someone possibly paid for it end of the day ... sorry if I misread it ...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 9:46 am

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Why would anyone sue for the cost even in the US? That kind of stuff is pretty much limited to when a single person does something stupid like climbs a mountain at a dangerous time of the year when it's closed for safety reasons, and the climber calls in their own search and rescue because they get lost or stranded.
I see us coast guard often publishing cost of search.

I presumed someone possibly paid for it end of the day ... sorry if I misread it ...
Yes, if you take a boat out and do something irresponsibly, they'll make you pay for the search and rescue. Say, small sail boat into a giant hurricane when they had red warning flags up. They won't charge someone for the cost of a downed airliner.