Singapore Expats

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 10:49 am

rdueej wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: Australian authorities have announced their intention to take over the investigation, with the note that all recovered debris is to be taken to Australia.

A clear poke at the incompetence of Malaysian officials, and a clear warning to the Chinese government not to get their own incredibly corrupt/inefficient/bumbling bureaucracy into the game.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/push-to-tak ... z2xJDkOupy
Also a subtle push back on the Chinese PLA/PLN push into the Indian ocean.
I would not be surprised if this event is used as one of the reasons for an increased military presence in the region. This Pacific theatre is the major area of contention between China and the west.
It would appear to be an issue between China and any country in the Pacific Region ....

I am assuming by the "West" you mean the USA as I am pretty sure folks in Europe are not overly concerned.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:06 pm

Barnsley wrote:I am assuming by the "West" you mean the USA as I am pretty sure folks in Europe are not overly concerned.
That's because the USA has been handling and paying for their world security issues for decades. Who do you think has been protecting European shipping interests in Asia?

The militarization of China is a growing threat. Europeans have already shown their resolve with the Russian invasion of Crimea... don't want to do anything that will upset the gas flows and economics of dealing with Russia.

China increases its military capability while raising its tone about disputed islands with the Philippines, Japan, and of course, Taiwan. I predict Europe's response to an invasion would be a polite 'huff' behind a white glove, should China actually act.

What are the worth of allies that don't want to get involved? Is this the reason Europe continues to be fragmented, failing to learn the lessons of terrible wars gone by?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:57 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: Europeans have already shown their resolve with the Russian invasion of Crimea...
And you can be sure the Chinese have been taking detailed notes.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 4:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Barnsley wrote:I am assuming by the "West" you mean the USA as I am pretty sure folks in Europe are not overly concerned.
That's because the USA has been handling and paying for their world security issues for decades. Who do you think has been protecting European shipping interests in Asia?

The militarization of China is a growing threat. Europeans have already shown their resolve with the Russian invasion of Crimea... don't want to do anything that will upset the gas flows and economics of dealing with Russia.

China increases its military capability while raising its tone about disputed islands with the Philippines, Japan, and of course, Taiwan. I predict Europe's response to an invasion would be a polite 'huff' behind a white glove, should China actually act.

What are the worth of allies that don't want to get involved? Is this the reason Europe continues to be fragmented, failing to learn the lessons of terrible wars gone by?
Europe.is fragmented as its 40+ independent countries all with differing views on world events. All with differing interests
The only consensous is the political elites across the countries and I suspect they are gonna be in for a shock in the coming elections across Europe.
Its impossible to have one voice as there isnt one.

ASEAN and APAC which are the regions directly i volved affected cant even put up a united voice to tell China to ease off so why would who has no direct involvement have a united opinion?

As for the worlds.Policeman.. The US put itself out there for the role. If it doesnt want to do then it shouldnt do it. Many of the countries its protecting give it nothing but grief anyway so let them sink or swim on their own.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 9:02 pm

Barnsley wrote: I am assuming by the "West" you mean the USA as I am pretty sure folks in Europe are not overly concerned.
If anything was to erupt in the region, it is expected that EU countries and the USA would be on the same team. The US would prefer to not directly confront China, so any UN/NATO sanction or similar would have to be introduced by one of its allies (as has been done many times in the past).

As you had mentioned, with the current system in the EU, people's opinions are not necessarily reflected in state policy.
Barnsley wrote: Europe.is fragmented as its 40+ independent countries all with differing views on world events. All with differing interests
The only consensous is the political elites across the countries and I suspect they are gonna be in for a shock in the coming elections across Europe.
Its impossible to have one voice as there isnt one.
This is in fact what I find most interesting. If a referendum were to be held in each country, it looks like many would vote to leave the EU (or at least the eurozone). Only the ruling elite from each country, and blocs of well-off economies are trying to hold it all together (for no great benefit).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 9:47 pm

Also the dependance of different Europeans country on the Russian gas and market varies greatly. Not every government is willing to admit it openly and act risking the negative impacts to their counties economies.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 12:41 am

Well Anwar Ibrahim is now publicly asking some of the questions that many others have been wondering about since this all began. For example, why on earth did they continue to focus the search efforts on the South China Sea for several days after evidence demonstrated that the plane was much more likely to be somewhere on the other side of the peninsula.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ation.html
Be careful what you wish for

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 10:25 am

Mi Amigo wrote:Well Anwar Ibrahim is now publicly asking some of the questions that many others have been wondering about since this all began. For example, why on earth did they continue to focus the search efforts on the South China Sea for several days after evidence demonstrated that the plane was much more likely to be somewhere on the other side of the peninsula.

I found it more interesting his claim to have approved purchase of a sophisticated radar system. I bet most of that money went under the table.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 8:44 am

Anwar may not be a saint but it has been more than a decade since he was in a ministerial position. Maybe that system was not well maintained since? (remember, MAS opted out from Boeing's maintenance package)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 9:54 am

Mi Amigo wrote:Well Anwar Ibrahim is now publicly asking some of the questions that many others have been wondering about since this all began. For example, why on earth did they continue to focus the search efforts on the South China Sea for several days after evidence demonstrated that the plane was much more likely to be somewhere on the other side of the peninsula.

I am assuming some heads are rolling behind the scenes in Malaysia .... or some poor radar operator is carrying the can for not informing his superior.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 12:46 pm

If i was a betting man, i'd have a few quid on them finding the plane in the next 3-4 days......

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 10:16 pm

BillyB wrote:If i was a betting man, i'd have a few quid on them finding the plane in the next 3-4 days......
I might take that bet.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/w ... oblem/931/

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 8:02 am

BillyB wrote:If i was a betting man, i'd have a few quid on them finding the plane in the next 3-4 days......
You'll lose. SMS and I have both worked with systems that go underwater in deep depths. The scale is shockingly large here.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 6:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:
You'll lose. SMS and I have both worked with systems that go underwater in deep depths. The scale is shockingly large here.
I didn't say recovery of the plane or blackbox, merely a confirmed sighting.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 6:19 pm

We are talking at this moment about the area like 20km x 20km if not larger. Unless they are extremely lucky I don't see it happen within the remaining battery life time.