Singapore Expats

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:04 pm

Barnsley wrote:
I read that UK & France at least run all passports through this database.
only if the airline ssr requires it they get checked from what I know
the lynx wrote:.

Smells more like espionage than terrorist to me.
regular human smuggling operation it seems like ... for me

when I arrived in Singapore years ago I was asked if i want to sell my passport and claim it was lost so some bloke who may have over stayed and stuck I Singapore can use my passport to get out

those were the days over staying generally meant caning ... I didn't take up on that offer ...

PNGMK. airbus fbw logics preceded the Indian IT revolution, or so I thought ... it was the finest French technology at work I was told ...

nothing Indian I think

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:06 pm

zzm9980 wrote:.

That said, everyone that uses India knows it and I'd be shocked if development by Airbus or Boeing for anything more significant than the inflight entertainment system was sent to India.
double ouch .... to PNGMK

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:11 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Dude, I've built control systems for twenty years. Indian educated engineers are exactly the sort who would argue that a positive yoke input should have a negative elevator output. We're all upset with this tragedy though and I habe a horrible feeling it will be western 'clean skin' terrorists behind it.
Keep digging your hole deeper. More unsubstantiated BS.
My anecdotal and off topic observations: Having been involved in security audits of hundreds of software projects involving teams based all over the world, including India (and give of the "top-rated" big vendors) and dozens of onsite audits at said Indian vendors, the quality of the software coming out of India is absolute shit compared to the other places I've looked at.

That said, everyone that uses India knows it and I'd be shocked if development by Airbus or Boeing for anything more significant than the inflight entertainment system was sent to India.

Tell me about it! our company had offshored a huge portion of diagnostic bug fixing to several bigwig Indian IT services companies like Infosys and Wipro.. what we got was a pathetic % of bugs fixed.
In the end we had to sever ties with these companies and set up a development center of own so we could manage it better, It kind of cleaned up a lot of the mess created earlier.
Now back on the subject of avionics there are some avionics companies which are based out of India and they do R&D in more areas than just inflight entertainment. Samtel and Honeywell are 2 cmpanies that come to mind.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:19 pm

Is the Black Box old technology? Seems unable to stream live data?

The government can trace you to the nearest one metre if they want to yet 230 people and a plane gets "lost".

Am I missing something?

sunbox

Post by sunbox » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:Dude, I've built control systems for twenty years. Indian educated engineers are exactly the sort who would argue that a positive yoke input should have a negative elevator output. We're all upset with this tragedy though and I habe a horrible feeling it will be western 'clean skin' terrorists behind it.
BillyB wrote:
PNGMK wrote: Indians have good reason to mistrust Airbuses - they probably wrote the s/w!- I believe it was over India that the control software in an airbus decided to pitch down to a yoke up input and caused the plane to crash. I can't find the link tho.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accidents_ ... 320_family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_72

The QF72 flight is the definitive proof of a s/w error in the airbus.
I find your comments towards Malaysia and Indians insensitive, ignorant and racist. You should be ashamed of yourself as an experienced poster on this board.
I am sure you might be having an account in your own private bank where coders are not from India, Smart Phones specially made for you, an exclusive credit card company which does not use Indian coders, Apartment where live must have been built by workers chosen by you from specif country and you sure might not be using Microsoft product (CEO is Indian) or Pepsico products and definitely your laptop is not having USB as it was developed by an India.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:42 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Keep digging your hole deeper. More unsubstantiated BS.
I see you have the hate on. I wonder how many control systems you've worked on? How many times you've had to re-educate a programmer who is convinced his logic is correct when it's simply illogical?

My comment was in support of WD40's comment that he wouldn't want to fly on Airbus - I'm the same but perhaps not because of his Indian perspective but because I am concerned about unknown software glitches in the control system and this is a valid concern. I'd rather be on a aircraft that has cables and pulleys connecting the controls to the rudder/ailerons etc. Just google 'glass out airbus' and imagine how scary that is!

As for BB getting upset about my comments about MY - so far I see no reason to retract them; I stand by my comment that there will be mischief and ineffectiveness in the MY government or MY immigration involved in this. I note today there are reports that the Minister himself wants answers as to how the airport immigration officers allowed the two incorrectly documented passengers on board. MY citizens should be shouting about this and I'm sure they will soon.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:49 pm

martincymru wrote:Is the Black Box old technology? Seems unable to stream live data?

The government can trace you to the nearest one metre if they want to yet 230 people and a plane gets "lost".

Am I missing something?
you are missing a book - 101- black box Technology on aircraft
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 2:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
x9200 wrote:It's kind of shocking with these stolen passports. It would seem pretty easy to implement some kind of system based on the Interpol databases.

With over 40m passports on the database can you imagine how long, when you get to an immigration counter, it would take to cross check your number against the database? It's hard enough if the database was stored on your local network but no doubt this would be cloud based or at least offsite.
Select from a table of 40 million entries? A tenth of the time than it took me to type that question. That data could be kept locally and updated daily, probably good enough for Immigration purposes.
Exactly. Syncing it even once a week would probably be good enough.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 2:18 pm

PNGMK wrote:
My comment was in support of WD40's comment that he wouldn't want to fly on Airbus - I'm the same but perhaps not because of his Indian perspective but because I am concerned about unknown software glitches in the control system and this is a valid concern. I'd rather be on a aircraft that has cables and pulleys connecting the controls to the rudder/ailerons etc. Just google 'glass out airbus' and imagine how scary that is! .
and the 777 is purely pulley and cable? I am not an engineer of planes but worked with. couple of ACMIs

I beg to differ on your fear of Airbus ... and FBW

PS, do avoid flying as almost all planes flying today have some form of FBW

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 2:27 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Actually, my thought was they were stolen and just being used for illegal immigration to the west. What's the point of blowing up a jet if you're not going to tell everyone you (or your group) did it?
Unless it was a case of something going terrible wrong. Telling "Our people can not even properly mix chemicals" is probably unwanted type of publicity even for the terrorists.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 3:21 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1. Not exactly a Christian point of view.
All references to religion on any internet chat room are strictly offensive to
us atheists. New gahmen ruling issued today.
[-X
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 3:57 pm

Travailes wrote:All references to religion on any internet chat room are strictly offensive to us atheists.
Why?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 4:23 pm

IIRC, Air France also had similar incident. AF477 also disappeared off radar at Atlantic Ocean and only after a couple of days of search and rescue when they found the aircraft. All passengers and crews were confirmed dead (though only few bodies were found).

Black box was only recovered after two years from the ocean bed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 6:18 pm

there's this video flight path of the plane turning red at 1:35. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... 70-3221009

also China has territorial disputes in the area. so i'll add that to the conspiracies.

Also read that a pakistani group linked to terrorist groups where apprehended before in Thailand for the passport scam.

although China is not a likely target for the terrorists.What if its a terrorist group practicing a new plan (checking response time, etc.)

anyway i just feel sad for the families. can't imagine waiting for a plane that's not coming

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 7:45 pm

The rumour going round Hong Kong was that China shot it down. Which I don't believe. But to add to the mill...

It does seem odd that it was terrorism if nobody is stepping up to claim it. Usually they're pretty quick on that front.

It could just turn out to be human smuggling+drug runners+ horrifically bad luck for all involved. With a measure of imcompetence on Malaysia's part thrown in.

Makes me wonder - how many people are traveling on fake passports each and every day??