Singapore Expats

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 6:55 pm

The plane lost contact near Ca Mau province airspace as it was preparing to transfer to Ho Chi Minh City air traffic control.

If a crash is confirmed, it would be only the second fatal crash in the history of the Boeing 777, a popular wide-body model. A Boeing 777-200 operated by South Korea's Asiana Airlines skidded off the runway in San Francisco in 2013, killing three.

Indonesia-based aviation analyst Gerry Soejatman said the clock was ticking on a "24-hour golden window" for search and rescue efforts.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asi ... 25124.html
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 7:02 pm

I'm gonna be on a 777 in a weeks time.. I'm not afraid.. :cool:

I'm shitting bricks [-o<

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:46 pm

Our trip to Sydney was also on 777 both ways on FlyScoot. But I would trust this flight more than the A320s that I have been flying using Tiger and Jetstar for short hauls in the region.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:09 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm gonna be on a 777 in a weeks time.. I'm not afraid.. :cool:

I'm shitting bricks [-o<
Me too :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:56 am

A Honda was in a car accident the other day. We should all be afraid of Hondas too.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 7:42 am

zzm9980 wrote:A Honda was in a car accident the other day. We should all be afraid of Hondas too.
was the Honda in the car or was the car a Honda?

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:09 pm

Another story coming out of this story is that two of the passengers onboard were carrying stolen passports, one from Italy, one from Austria. Both reportedly stolen in Thailand a while back. Someone flying under a false identity can't be up to any good. But on the other hand, if it were a terrorist attack, some group would've claimed responsibility.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/world ... .html?_r=0

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 1:01 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Another story coming out of this story is that two of the passengers onboard were carrying stolen passports, one from Italy, one from Austria. Both reportedly stolen in Thailand a while back. Someone flying under a false identity can't be up to any good. But on the other hand, if it were a terrorist attack, some group would've claimed responsibility.

Interesting! So is it a coincidence that 2 people stole passports and then the plane crashed and did this thing came to light because the plane crashed? I wonder if the plane had not crashed would their crime not have come to light at all? I wonder how many people travel on flights with fake passports, in that case.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 1:16 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:Another story coming out of this story is that two of the passengers onboard were carrying stolen passports, one from Italy, one from Austria. Both reportedly stolen in Thailand a while back. Someone flying under a false identity can't be up to any good. But on the other hand, if it were a terrorist attack, some group would've claimed responsibility.

I read about that, so that doesn't rule out a terrorist/hijack angle. There was another news source that reported oil slick trace somewhere along the flight path.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/m ... t-239-dead

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 2:06 pm

Hmmm both passengers with stolen passports have consecutive ticket numbers..
looks more and more intriguing.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 2:12 pm

first known picture of the oil slick reported

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 3:33 pm

Wd40 wrote:

Interesting! So is it a coincidence that 2 people stole passports and then the plane crashed and did this thing came to light because the plane crashed? I wonder if the plane had not crashed would their crime not have come to light at all? I wonder how many people travel on flights with fake passports, in that case.
From what I recall reading, the airline provided a list of passengers to various governments to notify them their citizens were on board the flight. (Maybe this was done as a courtesy, I don't know). When the Austrian and Italian governments were notified of the names of their citizens, they sent someone to the person's house to notify their families. The people who were presumed to be on the plane were at home and said both said their passports were stolen a while back in Thailand and they since got replacement passports.

I'm guessing if the plane wouldn't have crashed, this wouldn't have come to light. Now, this isn't to say that these people traveling on stolen passports were the reason the plane crashed.

There's obviously a difference between a stolen passport that's real and a fake/doctored passport. If the passport is real, it's probably much easier to get away with. On the other hand, I would think these people would've had to have paid cash for their ticket, unless they obtained a credit card in the other person's name.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 3:42 pm

The NYT also alludes to a possible turn around event.

If you look at the flight track transponder info;

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS3 ... /WMKK/ZBAA

The transponder pings (once a minute) just disappear after the flight has leveled off and reached cruising altitude, (and the seat belt signs go off) - there is no indication of a slow down or altitude drop. How do you explain this? Either the plan exploded, the transponder was turned off or there was a major electrical fault. If the plane was still flying, but going down, and power was still running - there'd have been a least one more tick - the time to hit sea level from that altitude is over a minute I believe.

Personally I believe there was mischief on board.

The oil slicks could be from other events.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 3:48 pm

A flight steward friend I was chatting with mentioned that pilots resort to offloading jet fuel when attempting to crash land to reduce explosion impact. With over 40 ships and aircraft from different countries on the search mission I think by the end of today we should have some answers today.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 3:59 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
Wd40 wrote:

From what I recall reading, the airline provided a list of passengers to various governments to notify them their citizens were on board the flight. (Maybe this was done as a courtesy, I don't know). When the Austrian and Italian governments were notified of the names of their citizens, they sent someone to the person's house to notify their families. The people who were presumed to be on the plane were at home and said both said their passports were stolen a while back in Thailand and they since got replacement passports.

I'm guessing if the plane wouldn't have crashed, this wouldn't have come to light. Now, this isn't to say that these people traveling on stolen passports were the reason the plane crashed.

There's obviously a difference between a stolen passport that's real and a fake/doctored passport. If the passport is real, it's probably much easier to get away with. On the other hand, I would think these people would've had to have paid cash for their ticket, unless they obtained a credit card in the other person's name.
They used stolen passports and then bribed their way past the passport q onto the plane.... IMO. Alternatively the MY govt 'let them go' to become China's problem.

When I first heard about this crash I told my wife; "Now the world will see just how utterly hopeless the MY govt is and how inefficient it actually is" - so far I'm not disappointed.