Singapore Expats

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 Missing after take off

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 6:36 pm

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 8:00 pm

I wish them the best but all what it says is like, "we found it, it is in the Indian Ocean". Technically correct.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 8:22 pm

Billy,

As there is no natural light at that depth, if you can see it, you can retrieve it using robotics (this is right up PNGMK's alley. His specialty, I believe).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 9:08 pm

BillyB wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
BillyB wrote:If i was a betting man, i'd have a few quid on them finding the plane in the next 3-4 days......
You'll lose. SMS and I have both worked with systems that go underwater in deep depths. The scale is shockingly large here.
I didn't say recovery of the plane or blackbox, merely a confirmed sighting.
It will probably be a side scan sonar image to begin with. Once they think they've found something that looks man made, they will reduce the search area and put a camera on the submersible.

It's completely dark at that depth and lights penetrate only a few meters at most.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:12 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
BillyB wrote:
PNGMK wrote: You'll lose. SMS and I have both worked with systems that go underwater in deep depths. The scale is shockingly large here.
I didn't say recovery of the plane or blackbox, merely a confirmed sighting.
It will probably be a side scan sonar image to begin with. Once they think they've found something that looks man made, they will reduce the search area and put a camera on the submersible.

It's completely dark at that depth and lights penetrate only a few meters at most.
Sidescan sonar on a towed fish, then rotating sonar on an ROV and then visuals. In my day ROV sonars were only good for about 300m but they maybe better now. Visibility will be ok but yes, no natural light. ROV's now use LED's and can put a lot more light down there than they used to and also drop remote LED lights around a wreck to light it up for photography.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 1:51 pm

BillyB wrote:If i was a betting man, i'd have a few quid on them finding the plane in the next 3-4 days......
Search for missing Malaysian jet likely to take years - U.S. official
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/ ... B220140425

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 25 Apr 2014 2:48 pm

Yeah, not my finest hour. That'll teach me for believing what i read on a so-called reputable news site!

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:06 pm

It's now in Bay of Bengal? Didn't recall the 'bomoh' said anything about that...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:29 am

...and the Japanese has pulled out from the search and rescue efforts.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 9:35 am

the lynx wrote:...and the Japanese has pulled out from the search and rescue efforts.
It took them two and a half years to find the Air France plane in the Atlantic and they knew where that crashed.

This is a five minute job and the folks in charge should have said so.

As they dont appear.to know where this particular flight went down then the reality is that it may never ne found.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 5:45 pm

Some new findings : Underwater sounds examined for links to missing Jet

A team of Australian researchers looking into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 released data on Wednesday about an unusual underwater sound recorded around the time the plane vanished, though the lead scientist acknowledged the chances it is linked to the jet are slim.

Link Here: Click me
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 1:32 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Some new findings : Underwater sounds examined for links to missing Jet

A team of Australian researchers looking into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 released data on Wednesday about an unusual underwater sound recorded around the time the plane vanished, though the lead scientist acknowledged the chances it is linked to the jet are slim.

Link Here: Click me
Whale sex

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 6:57 am

Here's another who claims to have seen it go down.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-sailor-cl ... VJQzFfMQ--
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 9:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Here's another who claims to have seen it go down.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-sailor-cl ... VJQzFfMQ--
I think the Lady Sailor and Kiwi Oil man both saw real events related to MH370. It had a large Li Ion battery shipment which caught fire I suspect. Pilot flew to a high alttitude (and turned) to put out the fire / return to base. Unfortunately Li batteries don't need O2 to burn - so they kept burning and all on board fell unconcious and the plane continued on auto pilot... until the fuel ran out.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:27 am

PNGMK wrote: I think the Lady Sailor and Kiwi Oil man both saw real events related to MH370. It had a large Li Ion battery shipment which caught fire I suspect. Pilot flew to a high alttitude (and turned) to put out the fire / return to base. Unfortunately Li batteries don't need O2 to burn - so they kept burning and all on board fell unconcious and the plane continued on auto pilot... until the fuel ran out.
I reckon that is one of the more plausible explanations I've heard.

That and alien abduction of course ;-)