Singapore Expats Forum

Will UK electronics work in Singapore?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
jmee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 04 Mar 2014

Will UK electronics work in Singapore?

Postby jmee » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:43 pm

I want to bring a curling iron (Babyliss ProCurl automatic curling iron) from the UK to use while vacationing in Singapore. Besides possibly needing an outlet adapter, should it work OK? I read online that the voltage/hertz was the same, but I know you can't always trust the internet.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:00 pm

All your electrical and electronic devices will work in Singapore. You don't even have to change the three pin plugs as they are the same as well.

jmee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 04 Mar 2014

Postby jmee » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:09 pm

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the quick response! :D

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 7:35 am

Why is this Internet more trust worthy than the other Internet? :?

:wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:08 am

bgd wrote:Why is this Internet more trust worthy than the other Internet? :?

:wink:


This internet has straighter ones and rounder zeroes. This makes them flow better on wires/cables leading to better quality internet.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 1:01 pm

As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.

jmee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 04 Mar 2014

Postby jmee » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 2:29 pm

bgd wrote:Why is this Internet more trust worthy than the other Internet? :?

:wink:


Ah, what I meant is asking if actual people living in Singapore if UK electronics work there that know for sure (albeit through the internet) is more reliable than a third party website that lists that both voltages are supposed to be the same. ;)

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 3:06 pm

They will work, but, there is something you must know about the telly's new capability. They will be far less capable since the tv programming in Singapore SUCKS!

Starhub is about the best you will get and even when you spend $100 a month on that it's still pretty dire, when you get here, get a decent fibre connection from ViewQwest or MyRepublic (the speeds are awesome) and get a Netflix and Hulu account.

Other than that, everything else will be fine.
nutnut

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 3:14 pm

PNGMK wrote:As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.


I did the reverse I took a coffee maker and a tv back to India and it works great too. I'm guessing most electrical goods have some amount of tolerance to minor variations in current,voltage and frequencies.

In the early 80's -90's it was not uncommon for the power to fail into single phase and the voltage would drop to 180v :-| and I've seen tv's back home able to tolerate those low levels somehow.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 4:43 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
PNGMK wrote:As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.


I did the reverse I took a coffee maker and a tv back to India and it works great too. I'm guessing most electrical goods have some amount of tolerance to minor variations in current,voltage and frequencies.

In the early 80's -90's it was not uncommon for the power to fail into single phase and the voltage would drop to 180v :-| and I've seen tv's back home able to tolerate those low levels somehow.


Your irony/sarcasm gene is broken as well.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 5:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
PNGMK wrote:As I said about Indian electronics... they'll stand around smoking and grumbling but eventually will work.


I did the reverse I took a coffee maker and a tv back to India and it works great too. I'm guessing most electrical goods have some amount of tolerance to minor variations in current,voltage and frequencies.

In the early 80's -90's it was not uncommon for the power to fail into single phase and the voltage would drop to 180v :-| and I've seen tv's back home able to tolerate those low levels somehow.


Your irony/sarcasm gene is broken as well.


haha sorry man didn't see that one coming! I was distracted at work... That's my excuse :p
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests