Singapore Expats Forum

Finally.....SG is the real #1

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 9:46 pm

No $30 for both of us(our 2 and 1/2 year old daughter hardly eats anything)
My definition of fine dining is where you sit and place order and someone comes and serves you. The restaurants we frequent are mostly on Syed Alwi road. Mostly Bombay Cafe, Raj, Anjappar, Balaji Bhavan and Kailash Parbat.

We also frequent the Anand Bhavan at Changi Airport T2 and the restaurants in Singapore expo area and riverwalk tandoor when we are in clark quay.

My wife is also a great cook, but weekend dinners we strictly eat out just to give a break for my wife and also we are foodies and what else can you do in Singapore ;)

The secret of how we do it under $30? We dont order the starters and desserts etc, just the main course.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri, 06 Sep 2013

Postby pisceangirl » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:02 pm

Wd40 wrote:No $30 for both of us(our 2 and 1/2 year old daughter hardly eats anything)
My definition of fine dining is where you sit and place order and someone comes and serves you. The restaurants we frequent are mostly on Syed Alwi road. Mostly Bombay Cafe, Raj, Anjappar, Balaji Bhavan and Kailash Parbat.

We also frequent the Anand Bhavan at Changi Airport T2 and the restaurants in Singapore expo area and riverwalk tandoor when we are in clark quay.

My wife is also a great cook, but weekend dinners we strictly eat out just to give a break for my wife and also we are foodies and what else can you do in Singapore ;)

The secret of how we do it under $30? We dont order the starters and desserts etc, just the main course.


Under 30$ possible, provided Mains include a single dish and breads/Rice serving for 2 people and no drinks (for all the restaurants you've listed above except Anand Bhavan which is relatively cheaper).

Good to know you believe in giving the wife a break- that's one redeeming quality! :P ...and I go off topic!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:29 pm

pisceangirl wrote:
Wd40 wrote:No $30 for both of us(our 2 and 1/2 year old daughter hardly eats anything)
My definition of fine dining is where you sit and place order and someone comes and serves you. The restaurants we frequent are mostly on Syed Alwi road. Mostly Bombay Cafe, Raj, Anjappar, Balaji Bhavan and Kailash Parbat.

We also frequent the Anand Bhavan at Changi Airport T2 and the restaurants in Singapore expo area and riverwalk tandoor when we are in clark quay.

My wife is also a great cook, but weekend dinners we strictly eat out just to give a break for my wife and also we are foodies and what else can you do in Singapore ;)

The secret of how we do it under $30? We dont order the starters and desserts etc, just the main course.


Under 30$ possible, provided Mains include a single dish and breads/Rice serving for 2 people and no drinks (for all the restaurants you've listed above except Anand Bhavan which is relatively cheaper).

Good to know you believe in giving the wife a break- that's one redeeming quality! :P ...and I go off topic!


We are not big eaters. Yeah 1 dish(usually paneer) and 4 roti/naan or 2 fulls meals/Biryani, Drinks we order 1 and share between us. My theory is we rather eat out more often than have just 1 or 2 grand feasts in a month.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri, 06 Sep 2013

Postby pisceangirl » Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:46 pm

There you go- you have your own eating habits and preferences to thank and not "Indian fine dining in Singapore is cheap". I do not say this with an intent to offend you but I find some if your declarations quite amusing!

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:09 am

My idea of Indian Fine Dining is a S$5 all-you-can-eat Thali in Little India, among a seemingly endless sea of construction workers on their day off.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:12 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, while the denim may be produced there, the jeans are still cut like small hotels. I tried a bunch on last January (2013) in Kerala, and good denim but cut like small hotels. Couldn't wear 'em.


Try Bangalore next time, there are many stores selling American sizes nowadays.
:cool:


Diesel store in UB City had some of the best prices on Diesel jeans I've seen anywhere. It also helped I was there in August at the height of the "rupee is worth shit" hysteria.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:16 am

pisceangirl wrote:There you go- you have your own eating habits and preferences to thank and not "Indian fine dining in Singapore is cheap". I do not say this with an intent to offend you but I find some if your declarations quite amusing!


With your own eating habits, compare restaurants of other cuisines; Bali Thai or Swensens for example. When I last saw the price menus from outside a single dish costs like $15. So the minimum there is already $40 for 2 with taxes et el.

We frequent pasta mania a lot and its cheap and good.
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:17 am

pisceangirl wrote: I do not say this with an intent to offend you but I find some if your declarations quite amusing!


You're not the only one, trust me. I might stop visiting if wd40 wasn't posting anymore.

Back on topic, the wsj article about the survey mentioned this doesn't factor in income taxes or real estate prices.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014 ... od=WSJBlog

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:20 am

I love the photo in this article. How appropriate:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEAB-3677

Image

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:29 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, while the denim may be produced there, the jeans are still cut like small hotels. I tried a bunch on last January (2013) in Kerala, and good denim but cut like small hotels. Couldn't wear 'em.


Try Bangalore next time, there are many stores selling American sizes nowadays.
:cool:


Diesel store in UB City had some of the best prices on Diesel jeans I've seen anywhere. It also helped I was there in August at the height of the "rupee is worth shit" hysteria.


Yeah, the BBC article points out that Mumbai and Delhi are the cheapest cities in the world, wow! I am surprised too:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26412821

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 8:36 am

Wd40 wrote:I come home for lunch so save money on weekdays and then weekends both saturday and sunday we have dinner outside. Indian fine dining doesn't cost a lot in Singapore, thank god! Max we spend like $30 every outing.


I tried Saffron Bistro in Boat Quay and that fine dining experience cost $100 for two. Good thing it was only for experience. Now I know I can get similar/better standards for $30.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 8:55 am

Boat Quay most of the restaurants are over priced. We only go to Riverwalk Tandoor which is in the same building where MoM is. Buffet there is like ~$22 per person. Ala carte is cheaper.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 9:06 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, while the denim may be produced there, the jeans are still cut like small hotels. I tried a bunch on last January (2013) in Kerala, and good denim but cut like small hotels. Couldn't wear 'em.


Try Bangalore next time, there are many stores selling American sizes nowadays.
:cool:


Diesel store in UB City had some of the best prices on Diesel jeans I've seen anywhere. It also helped I was there in August at the height of the "rupee is worth shit" hysteria.


you get 50% off those prices in UB city in several other warehouse stores, in fact you can go direct to the factory and buy them off from a store inside the factory.. it was amazing. i did that for Wrangler and Lee
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 9:48 am

the lynx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I come home for lunch so save money on weekdays and then weekends both saturday and sunday we have dinner outside. Indian fine dining doesn't cost a lot in Singapore, thank god! Max we spend like $30 every outing.


I tried Saffron Bistro in Boat Quay and that fine dining experience cost $100 for two. Good thing it was only for experience. Now I know I can get similar/better standards for $30.


I don't think 30$ can get you anything even for Indian food, maybe 2 entrees at most.
Try say Maharajah's on cuppage or Kashmir on Racecourse Road for eg. a typical dinner there runs into approx 60-80$ for 2 incl. 2 glasses of wine.

another aspect is BYOB places are almost non existent here. what irks me most about all the dining options here are they all cater to some level of exclusivity which is needless even in something as basic as Pizza...!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu, 28 Aug 2008

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 05 Mar 2014 9:51 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:For me eating outside seems to be burning the biggest hole in my pocket especially if you don't like the hawker food. Theres a choice of fine dine in restaurants or bad hawker food, there are no normal places, Something as basic as a taco or a burrito or a shawarma roll is treated like Gods gift to mankind here.


There is a food court in my office building. My colleague grab a burrito, a salad and a soft drink and it cost $25. That's a lot of money given the amount of food and it is takeaway food from a food court.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests