Singapore Expats

Finally.....SG is the real #1

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 7:56 am

I was in Tokyo 2 years ago. The prices for everything was astronomical at that time, I was paying 19k yen for a hotel room near akasaka district at that time.
food was amazing!!! Almost any small hole in the wall place made the most delicious food even if it wasn't Japanese food. I had some amazing paella in Tokyo and for the 2 times I had Indian, it was made for the Japanese palate so I chose to eat more Japanese food instead.
food on average used to cost me 5000yen per meal, service was amazing, I went to a metal pub once and there was just me and and my friend, the bartender entertained both of us till 4am playing what ever song we asked him.
great to know that prices are on the slide there so I can plan a visit there soon.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 8:30 am

I echo the same sentiments for Tokyo. The city may be expensive* but I never once felt that I was being ripped off. Or that food was horrible.

Even the usually universally maligned convenience store food was good (karaage + onigiri at 11 pm from an off-Tokyo commercial area makes overtime feel OK). Ditto for chain eateries like Matsuya which is miles ahead in quality vs casual dining in Singapore.

To get good food in Singapore either you have to go to really expensive restaurants with highly-skilled and highly-trained chefs or you have to go hunt for hawker centres run by people who love cooking.

And the latter are getting rarer by the day, as most of them are being driven out of business by greedy landlords or just simply disappearing as the cooks grow old and they weren't able to train successors.

*My circles have managed to avoid taxis by making sure we catch the last train home. And practically the whole city and surrounding prefectures are conveniently accessible by train. If you live in a place that you absolutely need a cab, you probably make a living such that cab fare being expensive isn't an issue for you.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 8:47 am

Heading down to Myer today to get a perspective of how much household goods cost here.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 8:54 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Heading down to Myer today to get a perspective of how much household goods cost here.
FYI, most department stores have websites and online shopping so you can comparison shop easily and just head to the store if you're ready to buy already but don't want to wait for shipping.

Look around: Myer, Target, K-Mart, Big-W...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 9:17 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Sloc wrote:I was in Tokyo for more than 2 weeks in January, and I was shocked at the prices. I expected Tokyo to be much more expensive than Singapore (C'mon it's Tokyo we're talking about), but except for taxis, almost everything for daily living was cheaper than or comparable to Singapore :o

Food prices were about 60 - 70% of Singapore prices for the same quality and quantity in full-service restaurants. Actually, if you want to get technical about it, for the same quality, you'd probably have to pay 200% more in Singapore.
That was my impression of Tokyo as well. Taxis are expensive, the subway is a lot more than MRT, but everything else was reasonable compared to Singapore. Even (especially?) rent and realestate anywhere outside central Tokyo (say, the Yamanote line).
We had a late sushi dinner in one family owned small sushi restaurant in Ueno and it was the most expensive sushi we ever had but it was also the best we ever had so far.
And I agree, nothing can beat the service quality in Japan. The natural courtesy is just in their blood.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 10:58 am

CNA is now trying to defend this on Linked In now:

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/arti ... st-small_3

But its kind of disappointing article, it contains almost nothing. It looks more like fishing for comments from users.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 7:23 pm

Well, I'm not here because of the above posts about Japan as some might expect, was checking in to see what was being posted about MH370 and found this thread.

Having said that what raja said about the cost of housing in Akasaka is of little relevance as it's not really a place to live unless you're on a business trip and the company is paying - it's a business and entertainment district with probably a few millionaires living there.

Japan is cheaper than Singapore in many regards, including food and rent (better lunches for less), and the quality and cost of clothing are cheaper than here, for example I bought quality English shoes there for 1/3 of what they cost here.

While I would tend the agree the report was somewhat skewed, I can't agree with a lot of what is posted in this thread. C'mon people, this place is unnecessarily expensive. Food, rent, stuff in drug stores, basic things, books, clothes.

We haven't been able to save money here. Food at the median level may be cheap but awful in taste and quality and healthiness. Food courts are awful places to have a meal unless it's an outing to do just that. Rent is stoopid. It's too far from many places to visit and expensive and time-consuming to get there. It's way dumbed-down compared with other major cities, lacking in arts, style, sophistication, creativity, and basic civility and well-rounded-ness.

One could live at similar income levels in Hawaii but hey, that's Hawaii. it's worth it.

Unless you are an expat and/or PR and even then, it's really too expensive for foreigners now, especially the vast majority on local packages. On top of that, some are double-taxed.

All the anti-foreigner stuff aside, it makes no economic sense to be here anymore. Hasn't for years.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 9:11 pm

Brah, you are welcome here! Please keep coming often and post :)

Its interesting that you mention that stuff is more expensive here. The locals are known to be shopaholics and buy stuff that they dont need. Expats are known to be more conservative? So if expats find stuff expensive, what about the locals then?

I think varies from people to people as to what part of the cost actually bites them the most. In our case, we are not really after top brands for ourselves, besides, stuff like shoes how often do you need to buy them? Most of the stuff that we buy is for our little daughter, we didnt really find stuff like clothes to be so prohibitively expensive. Places like Kiddy Palace are expensive but large stores like BHG and John Little often have deals and we mostly shop in them.

I was looking at children's education. In Australia for foreigners on 457 employer sponsored visa the kindergarten fees is like ~5000 AUD a year. Thats quite expensive! Here we spend like $3000. I think International Schools (like AIS) here are much more expensive than those in other places and that might have significantly weighted into the cost in the survey. The survey was for a family of 4 so that kind of explains it.

The survey says that it took domestic help into account. Domestic help is much much much much cheaper here. In Australia I heard baby sitters make more money($19-25 per hour) than even IT support personnel :o I really would like to see how each of the items were weighted in the survey.

JetFixation

Post by JetFixation » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 10:54 pm

I was a little surprised to see Singapore as number one on the list. But I guess it really depends on your style of living. If you don't drive here, I think taxis and the metro are pretty affordable.

Last month I was in Tromoso and Oslo, and the prices of food, drinks and transportation are insane!

Is Singapore really more expensive to live in than Oslo and Zurich?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:48 pm

JetFixation wrote:I was a little surprised to see Singapore as number one on the list. But I guess it really depends on your style of living. If you don't drive here, I think taxis and the metro are pretty affordable.

Last month I was in Tromoso and Oslo, and the prices of food, drinks and transportation are insane!

If you rent and buy a car, yes.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 3:15 pm

Wd40 wrote:It looks more like fishing for comments from users.

More than half the comments are from people that don't live in Singapore and a lot of those, then, from people that have only visited OR never even been.

It's a waste of Server Storage.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JetFixation

Post by JetFixation » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 3:53 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JetFixation wrote:I was a little surprised to see Singapore as number one on the list. But I guess it really depends on your style of living. If you don't drive here, I think taxis and the metro are pretty affordable.

I guess thats the killer part.

But I looked up the rentals in Manhattan, not Upper East / West but around Soho, Greenwich, and the prices there are around 2700+ USD for a 50 sqm apartment which seams a lot worse.

Ok the cars will still be cheaper there but then the parking is insane!

Truth still stands that it's way more expensive now than it was just a few years ago.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 7:18 am

JetFixation wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

I guess thats the killer part.

But I looked up the rentals in Manhattan, not Upper East / West but around Soho, Greenwich, and the prices there are around 2700+ USD for a 50 sqm apartment which seams a lot worse.

Ok the cars will still be cheaper there but then the parking is insane!

Truth still stands that it's way more expensive now than it was just a few years ago.
For NYC (and most locations, even HK!) you don't have to live in Manhattan. You can live farther out in Brooklyn or Queens in a decent place and save a ton of money. In Singapore, you have no choices. condos in Woodlands will still cost you what that place in Manhattan you found costs.

And really, you should compare Manhattan to River Valley/Orchard/Newton to get a fairer price comparison.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 9:05 am

zzm9980 wrote: In Singapore, you have no choices.
This.

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:01 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: food on average used to cost me 5000yen per meal, service was amazing
:o
I had excellent meals for < 2500, and usually below 1500 yen in the Kasumigaseki area which is the govt district in central Tokyo.

You can get damn good Japanese food in the range of approx 800-1200 yen (e.g. soba noodles + a side dish + green tea) in most places. The quality is incomparably better than what you'd get in Singapore.

I paid $12 for a small dollop of greasy, salty pig slop..er I mean ..'Thai food' at an eatery near Dhoby Ghaut today for lunch. I am still recovering... :mad: