Singapore Expats

Finally.....SG is the real #1

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 3:33 am

Wd40 wrote:I was talking about majority of Indian FT workers here. Many of them who share a room in an HDB or rent out a room to a stranger and
So you're their representative and have their interests in mind and heart?

Being so intouch with the community and making so many broad sweeping declarations about everything, it's a shock you're not in politics.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 3:36 am

BillyB wrote:I presume the sample criteria includes owning a house and car, which will skew the results, and ignores taxation as a variable?

I can't see how living here is deemed more expensive than London and Sydney when you take taxation into consideration.

Maybe I missed something?
Property ownership cost and income taxation were specifically excluded, thus the results. Low income taxes would have benefited Singapore in the results. property prices are high here, but London, Hong Kong, etc are worse and I'm sure the results would have shown that.

My guess is taxes were excluded as the survey is skewed towards Americans (NYC being the base) and Americans don't equally benefit from the lower income tax rates. Even then every country's tax regime for overseas income sees a bit different.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 3:38 am

RoastBeefBaron wrote:I just cannot wrap my head around Singapore being labelled the most expensive city. Try spending a week in Perth (my home city) and see how far your AUD goes.

I'm trying to avoid the squabbling, but as for Indian restaurants, there are a few very cheap ones (such as Gandhi's), although these seem to be few and far between. Brinda's, the delivery company, is also relatively reasonably-priced. That said, I can't really seem to find any cheap North Indian food.
A week as a tourist and living somewhere are different things entirely. How much is rent in Perth? How much do you earn? How much is a car? That's what this survey looks at.

And an expat giving up a car and "willing to ride MRT" doesn't factor in.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 8:37 am

Almost on the 5th page of this thread and not a peep from JR8? He didn't pull a Hoffa, did he?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 8:56 am

Good question, he hasn't posted since 14 Feb. Valentines Day? Maybe he forgot the day and his missus done him in! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 9:57 am

This report has certainly got the Govt on the defensive though hasn't it....

After so many years of never ending control over everything , I really dont think they are prepared for "negative" reports such as this. Unlike politicians who are from countries that have negative stuff daily the responses from the Govt benches here dont appear to be delivered with any kind of belief.

Even if you don't agree with the policies of some in your "home" countries at least they are delivered with a degree of conviction.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 9:58 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I was talking about majority of Indian FT workers here. Many of them who share a room in an HDB or rent out a room to a stranger and
So you're their representative and have their interests in mind and heart?

Being so intouch with the community and making so many broad sweeping declarations about everything, it's a shock you're not in politics.
Don't give the man any ideas-pleeeeeeaaaseeeeeee! :D

-----
On a separate note, I was going through some of the reactions(online) to the survey- all it seems to have done is incited even more xenophobic and anti government comments!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:01 am

RoastBeefBaron wrote:I just cannot wrap my head around Singapore being labelled the most expensive city. Try spending a week in Perth (my home city) and see how far your AUD goes.

I'm trying to avoid the squabbling, but as for Indian restaurants, there are a few very cheap ones (such as Gandhi's), although these seem to be few and far between. Brinda's, the delivery company, is also relatively reasonably-priced. That said, I can't really seem to find any cheap North Indian food.
I agree. Perth is very expensive but you can afford a car and rent there...

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good question, he hasn't posted since 14 Feb. Valentines Day? Maybe he forgot the day and his missus done him in! :lol:
Lol!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:18 pm

Barnsley wrote:This report has certainly got the Govt on the defensive though hasn't it....

Indeed it did, and it's hilarious to watch.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 07 Mar 2014 3:00 pm

have a look at this menu from a pub in Sydney.. I can't somehow picture this menu in Singapore. :D

http://www.pjsparramatta.com.au//upImag ... Page_1.jpg
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 08 Mar 2014 12:13 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:

have a look at this menu from a pub in Sydney.. I can't somehow picture this menu in Singapore. :D

http://www.pjsparramatta.com.au//upImag ... Page_1.jpg
Last word of the second to last line of that menu. I assure you 110% that word does not exist in Singaporean English vocabulary. It is not taught in the schools.

Sloc

Post by Sloc » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:09 am

I was in Tokyo for more than 2 weeks in January, and I was shocked at the prices. I expected Tokyo to be much more expensive than Singapore (C'mon it's Tokyo we're talking about), but except for taxis, almost everything for daily living was cheaper than or comparable to Singapore :o

Food prices were about 60 - 70% of Singapore prices for the same quality and quantity in full-service restaurants. Actually, if you want to get technical about it, for the same quality, you'd probably have to pay 200% more in Singapore. The quality of food in Tokyo that I had was consistently superb, whether from a hole in the wall or a restaurant in Shinjuku, and the service was equally excellent in all the places. None of that f*ed up attitude you get from the 'service' :roll: staff at restaurants in Singapore.

I am sure there are lousy places to eat in Tokyo too, but luckily, I never came across any, despite eating western, indian, korean, thai, and plenty of authentic (!) Japanese food from a wide spectrum of eateries.
The Indian and thai was heavily Japanized, so the taste was slightly different from the 'authentic' stuff, but still the quality was damn good. In any case, Singapore is not in the same league as Tokyo when it comes to food.

Shopping, except for the really high-end stuff in places like Ginza, is actually cheaper than Singapore for groceries, electronics, clothes and accessories, cosmetics, general health products etc. Eg. I bought a pair of decent Shure headphones from BIC Camera in Shinjuku for < 60% of the Singapore price!!. Even in Mistukoshi in Ginza, I did not keel over from sticker shock; the prices, although high, for the luxury items, actually seemed quite reasonable compared to Singapore.:lol:

Accommodation was taken care of by the office, so I am not sure how hotel prices compare to Singapore, but after speaking with some Japanese colleagues, I believe even the housing rentals are comparable to or slightly cheaper than Singapore if you don't mind a 20 min train commute (similar to Jurong East <--> CBD) to Tokyo.

And Japan is just such a bloody awesome place, that even if it cost the same (or a bit more) than Singapore, you wouldn't mind it. You never get the feeling that you are always overpaying and getting ripped off like you do for almost everything in Singapore* eg. $20 for an inedible f*ing burnt dough frisbee that tries to pass itself off as a pizza in pastamania.

* Except for cheap Indian food in LI. I do agree that Komala Vilas and Ananda Bhavan is reaonably cheap and of good quality for a quick Indian veg meal.There is no equivalent for Indian food in Tokyo. But then again, these are not in the 'fine dining' category by any stretch of the imagination.
Also, I was more interested in eating real japanese food in tokyo than Indian food, so never missed it for a moment.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 1:06 am

Sloc wrote:I was in Tokyo for more than 2 weeks in January, and I was shocked at the prices. I expected Tokyo to be much more expensive than Singapore (C'mon it's Tokyo we're talking about), but except for taxis, almost everything for daily living was cheaper than or comparable to Singapore :o

Food prices were about 60 - 70% of Singapore prices for the same quality and quantity in full-service restaurants. Actually, if you want to get technical about it, for the same quality, you'd probably have to pay 200% more in Singapore.
That was my impression of Tokyo as well. Taxis are expensive, the subway is a lot more than MRT, but everything else was reasonable compared to Singapore. Even (especially?) rent and realestate anywhere outside central Tokyo (say, the Yamanote line).

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 09 Mar 2014 1:10 am

Sloc wrote:I was in Tokyo for more than 2 weeks in January, and I was shocked at the prices. I expected Tokyo to be much more expensive than Singapore (C'mon it's Tokyo we're talking about), but except for taxis, almost everything for daily living was cheaper than or comparable to Singapore :o

Food prices were about 60 - 70% of Singapore prices for the same quality and quantity in full-service restaurants. Actually, if you want to get technical about it, for the same quality, you'd probably have to pay 200% more in Singapore. The quality of food in Tokyo that I had was consistently superb, whether from a hole in the wall or a restaurant in Shinjuku, and the service was equally excellent in all the places. None of that f*ed up attitude you get from the 'service' :roll: staff at restaurants in Singapore.

I am sure there are lousy places to eat in Tokyo too, but luckily, I never came across any, despite eating western, indian, korean, thai, and plenty of authentic (!) Japanese food from a wide spectrum of eateries.
The Indian and thai was heavily Japanized, so the taste was slightly different from the 'authentic' stuff, but still the quality was damn good. In any case, Singapore is not in the same league as Tokyo when it comes to food.

Shopping, except for the really high-end stuff in places like Ginza, is actually cheaper than Singapore for groceries, electronics, clothes and accessories, cosmetics, general health products etc. Eg. I bought a pair of decent Shure headphones from BIC Camera in Shinjuku for < 60% of the Singapore price!!. Even in Mistukoshi in Ginza, I did not keel over from sticker shock; the prices, although high, for the luxury items, actually seemed quite reasonable compared to Singapore.:lol:

Accommodation was taken care of by the office, so I am not sure how hotel prices compare to Singapore, but after speaking with some Japanese colleagues, I believe even the housing rentals are comparable to or slightly cheaper than Singapore if you don't mind a 20 min train commute (similar to Jurong East <--> CBD) to Tokyo.

And Japan is just such a bloody awesome place, that even if it cost the same (or a bit more) than Singapore, you wouldn't mind it. You never get the feeling that you are always overpaying and getting ripped off like you do for almost everything in Singapore* eg. $20 for an inedible f*ing burnt dough frisbee that tries to pass itself off as a pizza in pastamania.

* Except for cheap Indian food in LI. I do agree that Komala Vilas and Ananda Bhavan is reaonably cheap and of good quality for a quick Indian veg meal.There is no equivalent for Indian food in Tokyo. But then again, these are not in the 'fine dining' category by any stretch of the imagination.
Also, I was more interested in eating real japanese food in tokyo than Indian food, so never missed it for a moment.
I particularly liked this part :D I agree, after living a while in Singapore and going to a beautiful place like Japan, you really understand what you have been missing.

Thanks for the detailed review, so there is life after Singapore afterall :)