Singapore Expats

Finally.....SG is the real #1

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 11:54 am

Good News ... LKY school has announced that whilst Singapore is number one expensive for expat folks its only number 60 for locals....

Thats that sorted then.

:cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:58 pm

Barnsley wrote:Good News ... LKY school has announced that whilst Singapore is number one expensive for expat folks its only number 60 for locals....

Thats that sorted then.

:cool:
I don't believe the gap is that huge. Probably, number 60 for locals who have their housing issues sorted out.

JetFixation

Post by JetFixation » Sat, 05 Apr 2014 1:53 am

stuckmojo wrote:
JetFixation wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Breakfast @ T3 airport : 12$ for a donut, croissant latte from dunkin donuts lol
latte tastes like hot water, at least provide some quality ?

That's not so bad considering that at OSL airport 3 slices of medium sized Pizzas from Pizzahut + 1 medium Pepsi costs $35 SGD!

I'm currently in Budapest now and the Mcd is about the same price as in Sg.
895 Forint for a Quater Pounder (approx $5+)
I hope you just checked the price out of curiosity and not ate at a McDonalds in Budapest. Please do reassure me.

Haha why? I should I be worried about horse meat in the burger?

I had an awesome Wagyu yakiniku meal in Tokyo today but every once in a while I do enjoy a simple McD burger =)

You definitely get much better quality and value vs restaurants in Singapore for sure. Perhaps 50% cheaper.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 3:06 pm

So here it is, your 'No Sh1t Sherlock' moment of the day......
Buying a product from Apple, Zara and IKEA could cost more in Singapore compared to 10 other cities, according to a study by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI).

According to the study -- which analyses price differences for 647 items from the three global brands across the 11 cities --"Singapore's prices are found to be relatively high in most instances".
Among the cities included in the study are London, Paris, New York, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
Story clipped piece by piece from CNA.
MAS added that for most of the items which are more expensive in Singapore, the price premiums do not exceed 20 per cent.
20%..... well that's okay then. I thought we were talking 25-30% :roll:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 3:11 pm

MAS has a directive to find "some" way to down play anything that shows them up with egg in their faces. Minimize the damages. But it's too late, as TRS or TOC will make a Big Mac Meal out of it on their sites. :P :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 3:23 pm

Given a supposed 'strength' of the SGD and a very low 7% GST compared with VAT levels in Europe there is really no excuse why IKEA is more expensive in Singapore than London or Paris.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 9:33 pm

Captive market. They can get away with it.

Check out the price of a Krisy Kreme here! $2.95 for a bad doughnut.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:08 pm

It's also more expensive to ship bulky goods here perhaps? Economies of scale, even if those items are made in China they sell so many more in Europe or the US that each individual item is cheaper.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:14 am

movingtospore wrote:Captive market. They can get away with it.

Check out the price of a Krisy Kreme here! $2.95 for a bad doughnut.
Have to agree with you here on both points - I was shocked at the price, and the taste was no way as good as ones I had in their country of origin. Plus the choices were somewhat limited, I struggled to find one I wanted and wasn't sickly-sweet.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:30 am

zzm9980 wrote:It's also more expensive to ship bulky goods here perhaps? Economies of scale, even if those items are made in China they sell so many more in Europe or the US that each individual item is cheaper.

Freight, as a cost, is not high when budgeting per container.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 07 May 2014 9:54 am

A report today from SIA Engineering states that whilst Full Year revenue increased 2.7% there were increased expenses of 4.3%.

The 1.6% dip in profits were attributed to.......yes you guessed it, mainly higher staff costs, subcontracting and material costs.

It's hardly just the beginning. SIA and its contractors need a lot of foreign workers and talent but they are getting harder to find and keep. This gives rise to then more subcontracting, either locally or overseas that also increase costs and lowers GDP if/when relocated overseas.

A bit of a vicious cycle and as the UK is seeing now, what goes around comes around as manufacturing is really picking up and more work is brought 'back' from the Far East. The same is true in the US so as their economies pick up there are a few countries out here that will suffer.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE