Singapore Expats

Tax question on changing jobs

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Tax question on changing jobs

Post by The Ref » Sun, 02 Mar 2014 6:38 pm

I changed jobs in March, and as is normal my previous company cleared my tax before I received my last few cents.

When I log in to the IRAS "My Tax Portal" it does not show that previous employer (they did "opt in" or whatever to the auto filing) only the current one.

Is this because the tax was cleared so it is no longer deemed to be taxable? I was expecting to see income from both companies and a payment, mainly as the amount calculated on the first 2 months of the year may have been incorrect.

I will contact the companies tax consultants but I would like any guidance before I do so I can ask the right questions.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Bump

Post by The Ref » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 9:42 pm

I am giving this a bump in the hope someone has the answer.

It would be easier than talking to IRAS.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Bump

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:20 pm

The Ref wrote:I am giving this a bump in the hope someone has the answer.

It would be easier than talking to IRAS.
IRAS are actually very helpful. You might be layering your home countries shitty tax department experiences over the actual reality of the Singapore tax dept.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Tax question on changing jobs

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 11 Mar 2014 11:22 pm

The Ref wrote:I changed jobs in March, and as is normal my previous company cleared my tax before I received my last few cents.

When I log in to the IRAS "My Tax Portal" it does not show that previous employer (they did "opt in" or whatever to the auto filing) only the current one.

Is this because the tax was cleared so it is no longer deemed to be taxable? I was expecting to see income from both companies and a payment, mainly as the amount calculated on the first 2 months of the year may have been incorrect.

I will contact the companies tax consultants but I would like any guidance before I do so I can ask the right questions.
Thats wierd. I would have expected the previous company's filings there even before the current one. Did you look in the "View Employment Income Record" section?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

confusing

Post by The Ref » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 9:43 pm

My last company said it shouldn't be there as the tax had already been cleared. It is interesting though if that is the case I might end up paying less tax for the year that I would have had to otherwise as the first payment worked on that rate, and the second on its rate, but the combined income may have been a higher rate.
I will ring IRAS tomorrow and feedback for others in the future.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: confusing

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:27 pm

The Ref wrote:My last company said it shouldn't be there as the tax had already been cleared. It is interesting though if that is the case I might end up paying less tax for the year that I would have had to otherwise as the first payment worked on that rate, and the second on its rate, but the combined income may have been a higher rate.
I will ring IRAS tomorrow and feedback for others in the future.
I find that odd. You should have a history. I would highly recommend that you contact IRAS and get this sorted. As PNGMK said, they really are quite helpful.