Singapore Expats

What is the average utilities bill between two people?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 3:57 pm

I have 6 adults, one child and a senile old lady who tends to leave the taps running unless someone follows her around all day long. Add to that the washer runs virtually every day one or two loads. It adds up. I solved some of the old lady's problem though with the installation of pressure taps in the bathrooms, but haven't found a similar solution for the kitchen sink tap yet. Sadly, none in the family ever learned to wash the dishes without the tap running! most are pretty good, but the old lady will take 3 minutes to wash a spoon!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 4:06 pm

I think our washer contributes a lot to my bill. Had bought a cheap top-loader when it was just the two of us washing every other day. Nowadays it's more towards non-stop mode, so probably warrants a review towards a more efficient front loader.......

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 4:42 pm

bgd wrote:$120 on average here. In a 3 bed condo, never use aircon and don't have a dryer.
Same here, big old 3-bed apartment, 3 adults, one baby, no aircon ever used, but lots of laundry (due to baby) - we dry it in the sun.

Cressida

Post by Cressida » Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:15 am

All your replies have been super useful. Thanks ever so much!

I especially love the witty ones and that you pointed out about old aircons costing more.

I have put my foot down and insisted on only paying $90 a month (also factoring in our old aircon units), deducting what I overpaid for previous months.

Your quotes and comments will come in very handy indeed.

Thank you, you are all so gorgeous!