Singapore Expats

Applying Singapore PR through Agents

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dbashyam

Applying Singapore PR through Agents

Post by dbashyam » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 2:41 pm

Dear Friends,

I just wanted to understand what difference does it make if we apply individually else if we apply through agents?

I see lots of ads stating their success rate and how they apply their application differs. But, my question is does is differ from how an individual applies? Does spending money is really worth?

Thanks for any suggestion/advice/comments.
Bash

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 3:20 pm

Frankly speaking, it's a mistake to file using an agent. If you are not smart enough to file with the extremely easy to understand forms, then you don't deserve PR. Another thing, As the PR application is solely a form filling exercise, then what do you need an agent for? They cannot lie, they can only type in the information that you give them. Also, they do not have any "ins" to ICA at all. In fact, once upon a time, I was told, socially, by a senior member of ICA (who actually interviewed me for PR 15 years earlier) that they tend to look sideways at agency filed applications, thinking that maybe the applicant is trying to hide something. So, my advice, fill it out yourself. Save the money and when/if you obtain PR. You take take all of us oldies here on the forum out on the P*ss down on one of the quays one night in celebration. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 3:40 pm

The paper work for Singapore PR is like not even 5% compared to the amount of paperwork needed for other countries.

I was reading upon the Australian PR process and it sent shivers down my spine. The 1st step is to get IELTS done and score well and not just that; the spouse also needs to do IELTS or get a letter from her university stating that the course was in English. Imagine going back to my home country and a rural place where my wife did her engineering just to get this letter. I am not even sure if the university provides such a letter. This is just the beginning and then there are plenty of other steps/hurdles.

Now compare this to Singapore PR, I didnt need to get any new document from anywhere, everything needed was already with me, except for the employer letter.

But on the other hand all the effort you put to get the Australian PR, is worth it since you eventually will get it or can predict with reasonable amount of certainty whether you will get it or not.

SGlover

Post by SGlover » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 2:17 pm

SMS – are you sure form is extremely easy?
Obviously the longer you stay in country the better for result but don’t you think there are few self-contradictions? Like authority says you can apply PR the moment you get Employment pass whereas form says must produce last 6 months salary slips….

If apply right after getting EP, how to produce 3 years compulsory IRAX taxes??

There are few other things too but wish to have exprts input on this first...

Again obviously the longer you stay in country the better for result but don’t you think there are self-contradictions?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 3:39 pm

Let's put it this way. The closer you get to PR, the more narrow the application will be. If you come into Singapore ready to invest 20Million in a business here, or you are the co-founder of Facebook, Obviously they are not going to cut their nose off to spite their face. So rather than say you MUST wait 2 years or 6 months, they leave it general so that THEY give out the PR if THEY want. Even if you wait two years, have two male offspring, a PhD and a desireable niche field of expertise, they can STILL reject you.

However, the realities of life are that while you CAN apply as soon as you get EP, the odds, if you are an employee are, for all intents and purposes, NIL. If you are an employee at the top of the food chain, you might get it in 6 months but again, a lot comes into play. If they think you are here to abuse PR, then no matter how well qualified you are, you still might not get it. The application is very easy to fill out. The requirement to apply for PR are simple. If you meet those requirements, it's just like the requirements for an EP. They are the requirements JUST TO APPLY. Doesn't mean it's an automatic given. Too many politics to go into, but suffice it to say, you don't need an agent or lawyer as there is nothing on the application that is subject to interpretation. Been there, done that.

But this is just my thoughts. You want to apply, please go ahead. You want to use a agent. Feel free to do so. The reason most agencies have good track records is that they will advise those who what to use them, that their odds suck or otherwise, and try to talk you out of applying as it will just bring down their success ratios. You want to use an agent? Tell the agent you will use him on Salvage Terms. No success, no payment. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers