Singapore Expats

Reg Notice of assesment clearance from IRAS

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
varma18

Reg Notice of assesment clearance from IRAS

Post by varma18 » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 2:11 pm

Hi,
I worked in singapore in 2011 for 6 months and went back to my home country afterwards and I did not pay tax during that time.And I came to Singapore again in 2013 and working in another company.
This time I have registered in IRAS using Singpass ID. I found 2 letters in correspondence/Notice which contains Notice of assesment clearance with some tax amount. My account summary is showing zero and no dues pending.Do I need to pay tax amount of 2011 now?
If I don't pay that tax amount what are the consequences.

If I have to pay,how I can pay that amount now and any penalty I need to pay.

Please let me know,I am in confusion.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Feb 2014 3:13 pm

Your previous employer is automatically opted in as the Tax Agent for the IRAS. It is up to them to file an IR-21 (Tax Clearance) and to pay the taxes due and then to deduct it from your final pay cheque. You should have received your final pay voucher and it should show the same amount as having been deducted there. If not, then you stiffed your employer. Did you leave your previous employment properly? e.g., did you give at lease one month's notice to your previous employer? Or, did you do a runner, like taking leave and then just didn't come back?

I have to ask, as an HR Manager I've seen all types.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

varma18

Post by varma18 » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 11:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Your previous employer is automatically opted in as the Tax Agent for the IRAS. It is up to them to file an IR-21 (Tax Clearance) and to pay the taxes due and then to deduct it from your final pay cheque. You should have received your final pay voucher and it should show the same amount as having been deducted there. If not, then you stiffed your employer. Did you leave your previous employment properly? e.g., did you give at lease one month's notice to your previous employer? Or, did you do a runner, like taking leave and then just didn't come back?

I have to ask, as an HR Manager I've seen all types.
Thanks for your reply.
I have worked in the same company after going to home country for one and half year.Then I resigned properly by serving complete notice period.
I remember none of my colleagues paid taxes during that time.

Please confirm that I don't need to worry about this tax since it was taken care by old company then as per the above process you described.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 11:33 pm

Without actually seeing the Tax Assessment notice that should be in your online account I couldn't really say, but it should indicate somewhere on the assessment letter that your employer will be paying your taxes and that the notice is just for your record, or something of that nature. If it is showing no tax due, then you are in the clear and the employer paid the taxes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 2:34 pm

varma18 wrote:
Please confirm that I don't need to worry about this tax since it was taken care by old company then as per the above process you described.
Log in to the IRAS "My Tax Portal" with your Singpass. Click "View Account Summary" on the left. Do you see an outstanding balance? If you do and click on the amount, you'll see a breakdown showing assessed taxes and payments made by both you and any employers.

varma18

Post by varma18 » Wed, 26 Feb 2014 9:27 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
varma18 wrote:

I clicked on "View Account Summary",it is showing zero.

Log in to the IRAS "My Tax Portal" with your Singpass. Click "View Account Summary" on the left. Do you see an outstanding balance? If you do and click on the amount, you'll see a breakdown showing assessed taxes and payments made by both you and any employers.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 6:03 am

Then IRAS does not think you owe them anything.