Singapore Expats Forum

PR rejected, seeking for advices to appeal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MJMJ

PR rejected, seeking for advices to appeal

Postby MJMJ » Tue, 18 Feb 2014 8:52 pm

Hi guys,

My PR application was rejected recently, after 11 months waiting. Quite disappointed but life has to move on. As my friends around me with similar conditions all get approved recently, I want to try my luck to appeal. Hope you guys can kindly give me some advices.

About me, China Chinese, male, 27, single, EP holder, came to SG in 2008. Started as an NUS PhD student but quit after 2 years, obtained a Master's degree from NUS instead in 2011.

Started to work in a local bank as a relationship manager (sales role) in 2012. Basic salary 2500 +300 allowance + sales commission. In 2013 got promoted to senior RM and salary increased to 3000 basic + 380 allowance + sales com. (I updated my status change including the latest sales com promptly last year).

And now it gets rejected.

New stuff I can provide to justify was some awards i won last year (just awarded to top guys, so I think at least it can count as an supporting doc), and I got my basic pay increased for another 200, which becomes 3200+ 380 allowance + sales com.

Basically this is my situation. What I want to enquire is:
1. How do you guys think about my chance to get the appeal successful? Or you think there is no point to do it?
2. How can i make an appeal? By just sending in an Email? Or, as I heard it will be helpful to find a councillor who will help to write a letter to ICA. Would that be practical?

Thanks in advance!

vaikrit

Postby vaikrit » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 9:15 am

What was written on the rejection letter? Was it "... you can continue to reside in Singapore on your current valid pass..." OR "... you may apply again after XX months/year"

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Wed, 19 Feb 2014 9:37 am

This salary is impossible even for entry level even for local banks. That were probably the thoughts of MOM officers.

neolaw

Postby neolaw » Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:20 pm

Sorry for hijacking your topic. I have a similar situation here.

Myanmar, bamar (burmese), 30, single male

In 2007, Joined nus for a masters but quitted after 1 semester when offered to join nus phd programme with scholarship (no bond).

Work at nus with spass for 7 months in 2012 - 13. Got phd then worked in a small startup with ep in 2013. Took vacation and worked in an institute under astar (3 months at the time of application).

Rejected with no mention of when to retry.

I'm going to get married with another burmese pr (working) end of year.

Good idea to try next year?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 08 Jul 2014 7:50 am

neolaw wrote:Sorry for hijacking your topic. I have a similar situation here.

Myanmar, bamar (burmese), 30, single male

In 2007, Joined nus for a masters but quitted after 1 semester when offered to join nus phd programme with scholarship (no bond).

Work at nus with spass for 7 months in 2012 - 13. Got phd then worked in a small startup with ep in 2013. Took vacation and worked in an institute under astar (3 months at the time of application).

Rejected with no mention of when to retry.

I'm going to get married with another burmese pr (working) end of year.

Good idea to try next year?

Better than sooner. How much money do you make? How many tax filings have you had? Your work experience is short and spotty. None of that helps.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 08 Jul 2014 8:46 am

neolaw wrote:Myanmar, bamar (burmese), 30, single male

I'm amused by the fact he had to point out that he is a bamar. I didn't know PR chances depends on whether a Myanmar national is a Burmese, Kachin, Chin or Shan.

Anyway, you need at least three years of tax assessment. If you have these, you're probably ok.

But yeah, best to wait until you are married then apply under Family Ties Scheme since she is a PR already.

neolaw

Postby neolaw » Tue, 08 Jul 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for the replies

I made less than 20k in 2012 (so paid no tax. Received noa)
I made more than 60k in 2013 (so paid the tax)
I will make similar amount this year.

I'm going to get married in November (original plan is to become pr before marriage)

I think family ties is for citizen spouses.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also i heard something about quota being reset on jan. Is that true? The theory is better chance in January than in may or December

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Postby midlet2013 » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:24 pm

I dont think Quota Reset in Jan does not makes any sense. I guess its just a myth people say when they get rejected in the second half of the year.

Altho I applied in April and got in Feb. Does it mean that I could not get in the first year quote but got the next year when it got RESET.

Even if reset were the case, why reject. Just keep it pending till the next year.

Family ties work for PR also. My wife was a PR when I applied. Honestly, I did not think about the differences between Family-based vs PTS. I went and applied on my own.

A few months after I got PR, I got a letter about NS waiver since I got PR under PTS. So I was glad I applied on my own.

I think u shd get married n apply again. I mean ur well qualified and ur wife is a PR. that will make it look better than an individual applying for PR alone.

neolaw wrote:Thanks for the replies

I'm going to get married in November (original plan is to become pr before marriage)

Also i heard something about quota being reset on jan. Is that true? The theory is better chance in January than in may or December

kingleeny

Postby kingleeny » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 3:52 pm

vaikrit wrote:What was written on the rejection letter? Was it "... you can continue to reside in Singapore on your current valid pass..." OR "... you may apply again after XX months/year"

Mine was a rejection letter stating I can reside in Singapore during my current valid pass. It had nothing about applying later. I have descent account size in Singapore $3 Million + and Business owner. What is the difference between the 2 statements.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 3:59 pm

midlet2013 wrote:I dont think Quota Reset in Jan does not makes any sense. I guess its just a myth people say when they get rejected in the second half of the year.

Altho I applied in April and got in Feb. Does it mean that I could not get in the first year quote but got the next year when it got RESET.

Even if reset were the case, why reject. Just keep it pending till the next year.

Family ties work for PR also. My wife was a PR when I applied. Honestly, I did not think about the differences between Family-based vs PTS. I went and applied on my own.

A few months after I got PR, I got a letter about NS waiver since I got PR under PTS. So I was glad I applied on my own.

I think u shd get married n apply again. I mean ur well qualified and ur wife is a PR. that will make it look better than an individual applying for PR alone.

neolaw wrote:Thanks for the replies

Reset was coined by somebody who doesn't have a clue as to what they are talking about and most probably got it from somebody else who also didn't have a clue.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 4:05 pm

kingleeny wrote:
vaikrit wrote:What was written on the rejection letter? Was it "... you can continue to reside in Singapore on your current valid pass..." OR "... you may apply again after XX months/year"

Mine was a rejection letter stating I can reside in Singapore during my current valid pass. It had nothing about applying later. I have descent account size in Singapore $3 Million + and Business owner. What is the difference between the 2 statements.

Quite simply, it means they are not interested in you becoming a PR here. You are welcome to stay and work on your current employment pass at the status quo but PR isn't going to happen. Therefore, if you are here to only make some money, you are good, but if you are looking to immigrate somewhere, then Singapore is not going to be that destination. The other letter is saying that you have a chance but you will have to wait out the currently acceptable waiting time before they will process your application further (again, this is still not a guarantee that you will be ultimately accepted for PR or for SC at some future date as well).

As far as a decent bank account, they could care less. It could be your parents money. There are plenty of business owners here who are 'scraping by' so that doesn't really hold any water either. This especially if the business is small, e.g., one or two man operation and/or not employing Singaporeans or a disproportionately small number of locals.

kingleeny

Postby kingleeny » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 6:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
kingleeny wrote:

Quite simply, it means they are not interested in you becoming a PR here. You are welcome to stay and work on your current employment pass at the status quo but PR isn't going to happen. Therefore, if you are here to only make some money, you are good, but if you are looking to immigrate somewhere, then Singapore is not going to be that destination. The other letter is saying that you have a chance but you will have to wait out the currently acceptable waiting time before they will process your application further (again, this is still not a guarantee that you will be ultimately accepted for PR or for SC at some future date as well).

As far as a decent bank account, they could care less. It could be your parents money. There are plenty of business owners here who are 'scraping by' so that doesn't really hold any water either. This especially if the business is small, e.g., one or two man operation and/or not employing Singaporeans or a disproportionately small number of locals.

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that I shouldn't try applying again anytime soon. The business I own is an Investment Management Company. I have private investments into local businesses that employees 6 Singaporeans/PRs. My recommendation came from powerful CEO or CFO of major financial corporations. I have been in this line of business for over 28 years. I feel that I am pretty skilled at my position. Does this even compromise when I renew my own EP that I own the business of?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 6:51 pm

We don't know the inner working of ICA but we know that certain format rejection letter are the kiss of death regarding PR. In our years here, we have only heard of one case where this was turned around, but the anecdotal evidence was third or forth hand so we don't know the veracity of the information. But all of our 1st hand knowledge here and second degree knowledge as been negative. Are you European or from the Subcontinent perchance? Both of these areas have been having some problems as of late getting PR approvals. But for different reasons. Abuses in one area and a general why bother especially in the financial arena as they will go wherever the money goes so don't look like the type who will ultimately sink permanent roots here. Unfortunately, we cannot say for sure, but just what we have been seeing. We've had a number of P1 types recently who have been rejected while looking on the surface like they might be decent candidates.

myprhui

Postby myprhui » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:57 am

There is definitely some kind of quota going on in ICA but these quotas are definitely related to the ethnic ratios in Singapore with Han Chinese being the majority race. I am not sure how you can reset that.

I can understand why they are targeting the Subcontinent but why the Europeans? I believe Euro guys are still a minority here and how many of them are actually applying for PRs?

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 1:23 pm

kingleeny wrote:Mine was a rejection letter stating I can reside in Singapore during my current valid pass. It had nothing about applying later. I have descent account size in Singapore $3 Million + and Business owner. What is the difference between the 2 statements.

since 2012, i think, the government has stopped caring about the size of your bank account. further, they categorize HNWIs as people with 20m $, not 3 or 4 mil.

additionally, i assume your business doesn't generate too many jobs (of the right sort, anyway) or adds valu to the economy.

if your company was of a decent size and the "appropriate" sort, you will be courted as opposed to being asked.

why not look into the singapore investor programme and see if you qualify for PR through it?

50m turnover for an investment management company should be easy-as.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam