Singapore Expats

Developing and Selling Software in SIngapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Shadowhawk

Developing and Selling Software in SIngapore

Post by Shadowhawk » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:44 am

In the past few weeks, I've been helping my girlfriend and her family do a few calculations to help them save some tax for their company. After doing these calculations, we realized that there was value that would have otherwise been missed and that there isn't much information or software out there tackling the problem we looked at. Hence, we're thinking about developing a software and selling it.

If you've had any experience developing and selling software in Singapore, I'd really appreciate your advice. Specifically, I'm pondering the following questions:

What government authorities would I have to check in with before selling this software? IDA?

I am already working (i.e., receiving an EP) for a company we established that has a principal activity of business strategy and evaluation. Does that need to be changed to encompass developing and selling software?

What are the legal/licensing implications of developing and selling an Excel spreadsheet/code versus a software developed in, say, C++ and compiled as a standalone application? I'm fairly certain that there will be no implications going the Excel route since the end user would need a copy of Excel to run the software anyway.

How important is securing the software? Should I be expecting software copiers trying to duplicate the software the minute it's released meaning, or is this relatively rare and something I can guard against with basic protections? The market is SME business owners, so it's not something that would be marketed or be exposed to the general public.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:30 pm

You cannot run a company to make money outside of your EP, the EP means the only work you can do in Singapore is that of the work you are employed for.

How much research have you don't into the market for this software?
nutnut

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:43 pm

Yes, the EP system in Sg constrains entrepreneurship. Not sure whether the govt realises or cares.

Shadowhawk

Post by Shadowhawk » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 1:49 pm

Sorry, I did fail to clarify that I wouldn't be developing and selling the software on my own, but instead through the company that I'm already working for (it's a small company that hasn't ventured into this area before). I understand that income outside of that from your EP job is illegal.

Beyond the value that this software brings to her family's company, and her observation from speaking with other SME owners that they could use this kind of software, and our inability to find something out there that already does the same thing, we haven't done much else.