Singapore Expats

Public Transport Etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:37 pm

The driver just thought you were trying to assimilate by blocking the door. That's why they make those red buttons to push so you can let the driver know you are wanting to alight at the next stop. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Re: Public Transport Etiquette

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:46 pm

MartinSmith wrote: - Sitting next to other people on a bus: Some people seem to have a phobia about this. They'll do anything to avoid sitting next to someone else and will only do so as a last resort.

- Sitting on the seat nearest the aisle on a bus when the seat nearest the window is free: Can someone explain this one? Do people feel claustrophobic in the seat nearest the window? Worse yet is when someone reserves the window seat for their bag of shopping.
Well, it will be speculation as I hardly use public transport but my guess is these two phenomena are partly related.
1. There is a lower chance somebody will sit next to you if you take the aisle seat (it is more trouble to get to the window seat if somebody already occupies the aisle seat
2. There is less trouble to leave the bus seating in the aisle seat.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:48 pm

The thing is, the red button was pushed. Not by me, just someone pushed it right away when the bus moved from the previous stop and then either changed his mind or something else. I often see people push those with no purpose (nasty habit?). So, as I notice, drivers also tend to pay less attention to those buttons sometimes.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 2:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The driver just thought you were trying to assimilate by blocking the door. That's why they make those red buttons to push so you can let the driver know you are wanting to alight at the next stop. :P
The driver though Sergei was actually outside, at the bus stop, and tried to avoid taking him aboard.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:17 pm

Well, after a quite embarrassing molest incident that happened to me in one of the bus last year, I joined the "not sitting next to other" club, at least I will tried to choose (based on gender, age and appearance - sorry guys, just to be safe than sorry again). I'd rather stand on the whole journey or change bus if I feel it's not safe for me. :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:17 pm

:o :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MartinSmith

Post by MartinSmith » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:23 pm

iloverice wrote:Well, after a quite embarrassing molest incident that happened to me in one of the bus last year, I joined the "not sitting next to other" club, at least I will tried to choose (based on gender, age and appearance - sorry guys, just to be safe than sorry again). I'd rather stand on the whole journey or change bus if I feel it's not safe for me. :(
Wow, sorry to hear that iloverice. I don't think anyone would blame you for being choosy when it comes to who you sit beside on the bus after such an incident.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:31 pm

iloverice wrote:Well, after a quite embarrassing molest incident that happened to me in one of the bus last year, I joined the "not sitting next to other" club, at least I will tried to choose (based on gender, age and appearance - sorry guys, just to be safe than sorry again). I'd rather stand on the whole journey or change bus if I feel it's not safe for me. :(
What exactly happened?

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear about that. What happened and what did you do about it?

Also, you could still be molested when you're standing in a bus right? Or am I missing something here? :???:

Oops sorry I missed that you said changing bus was an option also! :shock:

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:52 pm

I sit peacefully until the aunty next to me alight and one uncle sat next to me. He started to ask many questions, and since I'm friendly in nature, the conversation was ok at the beginning, then after he asked are you from China? --- his hand started to be super friendly. :x
I wanted to shout but I didn't want the people on the bus to STOMP me, so I just go off immediately. After that - my motto: avoid - avoid - avoid.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:56 pm

Such a sick uncle is not something common in Singapore. I don't think it is a good reason to avoid buses. It may never happen to you in life anymore. And if it does, he can't do anything in bus anyway - just act decisively, he'll back off.

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 3:57 pm

iloverice wrote:I sit peacefully until the aunty next to me alight and one uncle sat next to me. He started to ask many questions, and since I'm friendly in nature, the conversation was ok at the beginning, then after he asked are you from China? --- his hand started to be super friendly. :x
I wanted to shout but I didn't want the people on the bus to STOMP me, so I just go off immediately. After that - my motto: avoid - avoid - avoid.
So sorry to hear about this. But don't you think your silence might have encouraged the "Uncle" to try this on other girls/women? Most molesters bank on the fact that victims will not report an issue for fear of embarrassment.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 4:12 pm

Sergei82 wrote:The thing is, the red button was pushed. Not by me, just someone pushed it right away when the bus moved from the previous stop and then either changed his mind or something else. I often see people push those with no purpose (nasty habit?). So, as I notice, drivers also tend to pay less attention to those buttons sometimes.
The best ratio I have seen/heard was nine "dingdongs" for three passengers alighting.

I would make it so the button exploded if someone had pressed one elsewhere on the bus.

With traffic lights and lifts I would have a message blasted out over speakers saying.... button has already been pressed moron.... your face has been sent to the secret police and you will.be terminated shortly... please pass the message on not press buttons pointlessly as it annoys others.
this message would be given in all.languages
Life is short, paddle harder!!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 4:17 pm

same experience as iloverice. have to be careful on the bus. sometimes i change seats.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Mon, 17 Feb 2014 4:24 pm

pisceangirl wrote:
iloverice wrote:I sit peacefully until the aunty next to me alight and one uncle sat next to me. He started to ask many questions, and since I'm friendly in nature, the conversation was ok at the beginning, then after he asked are you from China? --- his hand started to be super friendly. :x
So sorry to hear about this. But don't you think your silence might have encouraged the "Uncle" to try this on other girls/women? Most molesters bank on the fact that victims will not report an issue for fear of embarrassment.
I used to be the type of person who will fight back on this kind of thing, but being here in SG for many years, maybe - maybe if I shout frantically or smack the uncle, I will be thrown to jail instantly.