Singapore Expats Forum

Adoption fees in Singapore, twins case

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kamaratka

Adoption fees in Singapore, twins case

Postby Kamaratka » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:51 pm

We were approached by a local agency, a case of a woman expecting twins. They asked us to pay double, that means SGD 28000 per child (56000 in total). They emphasized that the twins are Chinese, and that it was such a good deal, because Chinese babies could go up for SGD 32000 in Singapore. They vehemently claimed that they were giving us such a good discount. They also mentioned many times that mother insists on getting more money from it, hence double fees...
We were disturbed by the hard sell approach, but anyway, what do you think about this? Is it fair/common to ask double fee for twins?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 1:05 pm

I am shocked. Is this legal on international ground?
I found the below and together with your story it sounds like human trafficking.
http://goo.gl/YuQDlz

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Re: Adoption fees in Singapore, twins case

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 3:16 pm

Kamaratka wrote:We were approached by a local agency, a case of a woman expecting twins. They asked us to pay double, that means SGD 28000 per child (56000 in total). They emphasized that the twins are Chinese, and that it was such a good deal, because Chinese babies could go up for SGD 32000 in Singapore. They vehemently claimed that they were giving us such a good discount. They also mentioned many times that mother insists on getting more money from it, hence double fees...
We were disturbed by the hard sell approach, but anyway, what do you think about this? Is it fair/common to ask double fee for twins?

The fees MUST be supported by documentation, if not MCYS/Family Court etc will not allow it to proceed.

There are only a few expenses a mother giving up her child can claim;

1. Maternity leave (compensation for not working - for example 9 months at 3000 per month).
2. Confinement leave (as above).
3. Actual medical / hospital expenses.
4. TCM / herbal expenses
5. Carer expenses.

Where you may be getting stiffed is the actual agency fee - this is variable depending on your negotiation skills. Also if there are multiple agencies involved (i.e. agency a found the kids but you're locating them through agency b) then you'll have multiple fees.

I don't see any area where the mother can claim extra under item 1 or 2 except of course her expenses maybe higher. You should insist on a detailed breakdown regardless as MFS/MCYS/FC will NOT allow the adoption to proceed unless this can be provided (the agency will try to fob you off with a single line receipt - don't accept).

The other poster should shut the hell up unless he has actually adopted in Singapore. Singapore is rated as a very good country for adoption and the FC does a fantastic job at preventing baby farming.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 4:35 pm

PNGMK, easy man, I simply know that in many countries the fees are actually close to zero. What I did not think about was the case if someone agrees to carry it out over full pregnancy period (instead of aborting the pregnancy for example). This would justify some costs. But if somebody conceives with giving away for adoption in mind to earn some money, well that still looks like trafficking to me.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:40 pm

x9200 wrote:PNGMK, easy man, I simply know that in many countries the fees are actually close to zero. What I did not think about was the case if someone agrees to carry it out over full pregnancy period (instead of aborting the pregnancy for example). This would justify some costs. But if somebody conceives with giving away for adoption in mind to earn some money, well that still looks like trafficking to me.

It's not and opinions like yours (with no basis in legality) are what push countries to ban adoptions which results in kids ending up in foster care where in some countries over 50% of those kids end up as street kids.

Consider:

1. A mother or family who doesn't want the child - do you really force her to keep it? Any parent should be able to give a child up without made either a criminal or sneared at. No mother should be forced to abort because in her country she's accused of being a baby farmer if she carries the child full term and then doesn't want to take it home.

2. Any child given up deserves the best home possible - do you think that accusing the child of being the off spring of a baby farmer helps that child if that child is pushed into an orphanage anyways?
Last edited by PNGMK on Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:42 pm

A friend of mine, who had actually adopted here, confirmed that it's really making the impression of human trafficking in many cases (although he paid much less than you).
Please also note that having legally adopted here does NOT mean your home country will accept it. My friend's adopted daughter is, after several years of bureaucratic proceedings, still not his daughter in the eyes of his European home country!

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:45 pm

beppi wrote:A friend of mine, who had actually adopted here, confirmed that it's really making the impression of human trafficking in many cases (although he paid much less than you).
Please also note that having legally adopted here does NOT mean your home country will accept it. My friend's adopted daughter is, after several years of bureaucratic proceedings, still not his daughter in the eyes of his European home country!

.....and that's why the Singapore FC now asks for proof that you can indeed provide your adopted child (intended) citizenship in your home country.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 8:01 pm

^^^ Very good idea!
(Wouldn't apply in my friend's case, though: His wife, and now the new child, are Singaporean.)

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 8:33 pm

PNGMK wrote:
x9200 wrote:PNGMK, easy man, I simply know that in many countries the fees are actually close to zero. What I did not think about was the case if someone agrees to carry it out over full pregnancy period (instead of aborting the pregnancy for example). This would justify some costs. But if somebody conceives with giving away for adoption in mind to earn some money, well that still looks like trafficking to me.

It's not and opinions like yours (with no basis in legality) are what push countries to ban adoptions which results in kids ending up in foster care where in some countries over 50% of those kids end up as street kids.

Consider:

1. A mother or family who doesn't want the child - do you really force her to keep it? Any parent should be able to give a child up without made either a criminal or sneared at. No mother should be forced to abort because in her country she's accused of being a baby farmer if she carries the child full term and then doesn't want to take it home.

2. Any child given up deserves the best home possible - do you think that accusing the child of being the off spring of a baby farmer helps that child if that child is pushed into an orphanage anyways?

You clearly did not understand what I wrote. I am talking about the situation when somebody tries to make money by delivering babies. Say, you want to adopt a baby and a lady knocks your door and say she would conceive and deliver it for you if you pay her.
Besides, it is already illegal to pay many types of fees with an unwanted pregnancy -> adoption. This is just from the States:

http://www.crisispregnancy.com/birth-mo ... rents.html