Singapore Expats Forum

22 F Kiwi, question on the social scene

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
ness024

22 F Kiwi, question on the social scene

Postby ness024 » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 7:52 am

Hi Guys

I am thinking of moving to Singapore this year, hoping to get a teaching job over there. My only concern is that I may struggle to make new friends over there. I was just wondering how easy/difficult people on here have found meeting new people?

Van

Ronny90

Postby Ronny90 » Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:10 pm

I think it depends on few factors:

1. Your working environment: perhaps you can meet more people through your colleagues.

2. Hobbies: Maybe you have some sort of hobby, e.g. sports etc. that requires you to meet people which helps.

But I feel trying to meet and know locals are a bit harder. If you can find a group of expats or something it would definitely help!

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 24 Feb 2014 8:05 am

Ronny90 is quite right.

But to give my 2 cents on your question...

If you read from the majority of the newbie posters here, it seems to be quite difficult to find new friends, although frankly I've met some of my best friends because of this forum...it took a couple of tries and drunken nights, but I found them.

Social scene wise, you can't just go to a bar, talk with a bunch of strangers and just be friends like *snap* that. Maybe you can have a laugh for the night, but for the long term....well, it happens, but it's quite rare.

Hobbies groups would be a better choice to make friends, but for that I'd recommend using Meetup.com to do it.

And the expat community here is quite transient. One day that best friend forever you've just made is here, next week s/he is gone to another country forever...the expats that have been here for quite some time has experienced this too many times, and so will not...ehm...open their hearts to new people so easily...

Let us know if you do get here!
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

lids27

Postby lids27 » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 10:22 am

Singapore's a great place to meet new people from all over the world.
There's a great mix of young people from different races, cultures, religions, etc here.
I've been here 17 years so far and I've seen Singapore evolve over the years. In the past foreigners used to be clustered in certain areas. I was one of the few 'gewilo' staying in a HDB estate back then.. fast forward to today and I see many more such faces popping up in such estates. I've made new friends in the estate by just saying 'hello'. Some races are not as open as others but on the whole I feel that the people here are a great bunch.

Welcome to Singapore :)

4d3L

Postby 4d3L » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 9:17 pm

Just be open and enjoy the local culture. Locals here are generally friendly, just like when I was in NZ, most of the kiwis are friendly. Everywhere is the same, if you are nice then people will be nice to you too :)

To really experience the local scene, chat up locals or make friends with local colleagues / colleagues who have been in SG sometime now.

You will also 'gel in' easily with the expats community here. Then again, if you are only happy to mix with the expats then...

(1) get use to them 'coming and going'. most are here about 2 -3 years then relocate to work somewhere else
(2) mainly expats activities can be expensive.