Singapore Expats

Singapore Airshow 2014

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
jk21
Regular
Regular

Singapore Airshow 2014

Post by jk21 » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:21 am

We would like to see some of the airshow with the kids, but we don't want to visit the actual exhibition. Kids are interested but young enough that the larger expo is more that we want to take on this year.

Back home we lived near another airshow site and for the couple of days leading up to the event, the pilots were doing practice runs which let us neighbors "putting up" with the noise get a preview of the flight path so we could plan where to watch the show without attending the larger event.

Can you share any insight where to watch some of the show, expecting that we won't have prime seats and will see only part of the flight path. Thinking about parking near western edge of East Coast Parkway and then biking towards Changi.

Thanks for any advice.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Singapore Airshow 2014

Post by Travailes » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:21 am

jk21 wrote:We would like to see some of the airshow with the kids, but we don't want to visit the actual exhibition. Kids are interested but young enough that the larger expo is more that we want to take on this year.

Back home we lived near another airshow site and for the couple of days leading up to the event, the pilots were doing practice runs which let us neighbors "putting up" with the noise get a preview of the flight path so we could plan where to watch the show without attending the larger event.

Can you share any insight where to watch some of the show, expecting that we won't have prime seats and will see only part of the flight path. Thinking about parking near western edge of East Coast Parkway and then biking towards Changi.

Thanks for any advice.
You know tickets are only $22 an adult - $9 for kids inclusive of a free transfer from Expo to the site ? It's New Year - go on push the boat out !!!
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 6:47 am

It is not about the $ but the type of experience and what is better enjoyed by the kids...congestion and queuing and overload of noise in a large exhibit space or the freedom of riding my bike and seeing the cool planes while sitting on the rocks or the sand. It is about what they will enjoy more.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 8:47 am

We went a few years back (and are going again this weekend) and I can tell you that you'll likely miss most of the action from any other location.

The planes tend to zip by full throttle and cover huge distances in the time it takes to blink. You've got to know which direction they're coming from, announced during the performance, to be able to fully capture their manoeuvres. And most of the manoeuvres will be roughly overhead, fairly low obviously.

By the way, you can't go by ear, because planes are peeling off and screaming in with full-on after-burner back-to-back, so it's hard to pick up audible cues on where the next plane will come from. You really need to hear it from the PA system.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:53 pm

Seeing tiny little planes from a beach is not what the kids need. They need to get right up close and personal with the planes. I've taken my kids a number of times when they were small (5, 6 or so) and the only problem I ever had was most wife getting lost! :lol: Put them in a military plane on static display and they will talk about it for months if not years. Granted, inside, the displays, while interesting are nothing to walking around these birds close up. Especially some of the bad boys of the chopper class and fighter jets. In fact, two of those kids we used to take are now at the airshow in a different capacity as they work full time for ST Aerospace and Cessna (two of my nieces). Of course, they're at the corporate displays as eye candy, but who cares. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers