Singapore Expats Forum

Taxis

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:59 am

Fortan wrote:There should be a law stating that Taxi drivers can't refuse a passenger at any given time. If your shift is over, return immediately.


There is a law which prohibits this. How to enforce?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:07 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Fortan wrote:There should be a law stating that Taxi drivers can't refuse a passenger at any given time. If your shift is over, return immediately.


There is a law which prohibits this. How to enforce?


On the spot fines for taxi drivers caught in possession of A4 size signs reading 'Woodland only' etc ?

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:28 pm

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Fortan wrote:There should be a law stating that Taxi drivers can't refuse a passenger at any given time. If your shift is over, return immediately.


There is a law which prohibits this. How to enforce?


On the spot fines for taxi drivers caught in possession of A4 size signs reading 'Woodland only' etc ?

The process is already automated: they show the destination they're going on a display on top, so you wait and hope...

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 1:11 pm

Where to report the culprits that does it then? I would be more than happy to start shooting them on video every single day :)

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 1:27 pm

Worse is when a bunch of green ones is passing by not bothering to take you at all. Is there any other country in the world where being a taxi driver is considered to be an elite job? It feels like you need to beg them to do you a favor and do their job every time.

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 1:30 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Worse is when a bunch of green ones is passing by not bothering to take you at all. Is there any other country in the world where being a taxi driver is considered to be an elite job? It feels like you need to beg them to do you a favor and do their job every time.


I used to live in Bangkok.... The taxi drivers there are much worse than here, not to mention KL... KL probably more the stinky taxis that gets to me :P

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 1:53 pm

Fortan wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Worse is when a bunch of green ones is passing by not bothering to take you at all. Is there any other country in the world where being a taxi driver is considered to be an elite job? It feels like you need to beg them to do you a favor and do their job every time.


I used to live in Bangkok.... The taxi drivers there are much worse than here, not to mention KL... KL probably more the stinky taxis that gets to me :P

They just don't like using metres in Bangkok, they're still very cheap and it takes no more than a few seconds to flag one down (I'm talking abt taxis, if tuktuks are always swarming around you even when you don't need).

KL - yes, even though it is forbidden to take passengers without metres, some kind of a natural disaster happened KL whenever I'm there, and all taxi meters in all cabs are broken at the same time (if you're with Malay-looking bf/gf, you can hide while she flags down the taxi - twice cheaper!)

There is a problem in Singapore: all taxis are just rented out to their drivers. The drivers can do what they want: if they don't want to take passengers or want to go only to their desired location, not a problem - they just need to pay rent (SGD 130-150) by the end of the day. That's it! Some of them even sleep in those taxis. There is no ethics, no code of conduct, nothing! Those are just dudes who got taxi license and rented out a cab, not some corporation's staff members. Everything boils down to how much and how fast they want to earn, and they're not poor guys - they can choose freely while you can't!

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:08 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Fortan wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Worse is when a bunch of green ones is passing by not bothering to take you at all. Is there any other country in the world where being a taxi driver is considered to be an elite job? It feels like you need to beg them to do you a favor and do their job every time.


I used to live in Bangkok.... The taxi drivers there are much worse than here, not to mention KL... KL probably more the stinky taxis that gets to me :P

They just don't like using metres in Bangkok, they're still very cheap and it takes no more than a few seconds to flag one down (I'm talking abt taxis, if tuktuks are always swarming around you even when you don't need).

KL - yes, even though it is forbidden to take passengers without metres, some kind of a natural disaster happened KL whenever I'm there, and all taxi meters in all cabs are broken at the same time (if you're with Malay-looking bf/gf, you can hide while she flags down the taxi - twice cheaper!)

There is a problem in Singapore: all taxis are just rented out to their drivers. The drivers can do what they want: if they don't want to take passengers or want to go only to their desired location, not a problem - they just need to pay rent (SGD 130-150) by the end of the day. That's it! Some of them even sleep in those taxis. There is no ethics, no code of conduct, nothing! Those are just dudes who got taxi license and rented out a cab, not some corporation's staff members. Everything boils down to how much and how fast they want to earn, and they're not poor guys - they can choose freely while you can't!


I have tried - and hundreds of times - to get into the backseat of a taxi in Bangkok and tell the driver (in Thai) where to go... and he has refused to take me anywhere....

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:12 pm

Fortan wrote:I have tried - and hundreds of times - to get into the backseat of a taxi in Bangkok and tell the driver (in Thai) where to go... and he has refused to take me anywhere....

Taking me with "hurrah!" and also they're VERY hungry for chat! :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34259
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:17 pm

They are just afraid you are going to turn green :mrgreen: and pull their arms out. :devil:

User avatar
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2013

Postby Fortan » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 3:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are just afraid you are going to turn green :mrgreen: and pull their arms out. :devil:

:o :D

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:31 am

bgd wrote:And I'm on crutches because of those dangerous things called stairs, nothing to do with the motorbike. :)


Stairs and beer don't mix bgd!

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue, 05 Aug 2008

Postby Primrose Hill » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:49 am

There's nothing like a London black cab

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:54 am

Primrose Hill wrote:There's nothing like a London black cab


Hmmm, London yes, black no. Karma-cabs are way more karmic ...
http://www.karmakabs.com/index.html#place

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:58 am

Saint wrote:Stairs and beer don't mix bgd!


I really wish I had a good story but it was a simply missing the last step and no alcohol involved.

So more of the same today, no taxis available. Tried Premier Taxis and it was exactly the same with them. Surely if you are a Taxi company you display your booking number prominently? Not these guys, buried deep within the site.

Anyway after 45 mins eventually got one and made my appointment.

3 more weeks and I can ride the motorbike again. I can't wait.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests