Singapore Expats

Potential Move to Singapore - Have a few questions

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
houmack

Potential Move to Singapore - Have a few questions

Post by houmack » Tue, 04 Feb 2014 10:55 pm

Hey Folks,

I'm looking at a potential relocation to Singapore from Canada and have a couple of questions. Apologies if these have been asked in the past. I did a couple of quick searches and didn't really come up with the answers.

My concerns is mainly around my dog. I'd be be moving myself, my wife, and my 5 month old along with our 80lbs Rhodigian Ridgeback dog. I want to start doing some research to see what area's I need to look at for apartments/condos/houses that would make it easier for us. I'd be working downtown.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appriciated. What area's to consider, what websites to use that allow me to filter by dog friendly rentals, etc.

Thank you in advance.

H

Search By

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:25 am

Based upon what I've just read about your dog, you really should contact the AVA to ensure that they will let your dog in, even though it is not on the prohibited list.

http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/ava/apps/fcd_faq ... SnCg%3d%3d#

My guess is also that if they do let your dog in, it will need to be muzzled whenever it is in a public place.

http://www.ava.gov.sg/NR/rdonlyres/A17F ... an2014.pdf

houmack

Post by houmack » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 1:21 am

Thanks. I'll look into this for sure. I hope it's not the case. Even though the Rhodigian Ridgeback is a lion hunter, they're very tame dogs.

Do most apartments/condo's allow dogs? or do i need to look for specific condo's?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 9:52 am

I think you need to considers two aspects.

1) Legal requirements and any restrictions (as Eagle links)

2) Local/cultural acceptance.

re: 1) on a skim-read didn't see any specific restriction on the import of a ridgeback. Over and above the usual quarantine/vaccinations etc.

re: 2) This has been discussed before, esp relating to large dogs.
- In Asia, historically, people have not had to resources to keep a large dog 'as a pet'. I.e. if the family live off a bowl of rice a day, they won't have the budget for half a pound of meat for a dog.
- Large dogs have probably been working dogs. Probably guard dogs.
- There's the whole issue of Muslims and dogs too.

So via culture and history many of them start from a position of ignorance; unfortunately for you.

I think you would find a significant amount of property that a landlord won't let to you, based upon their ignorance re: your dog. You could perhaps offer to add say an extra weeks rent deposit specifically as a bond against dog caused damage (?).

As a last thought, I'm not sure how condo rules might deal with this, if at all. There might be building management restrictions on the type of any dog that can be kept. Not sure.

If you do see a dog here (and it's not common) odds are 9 out of 10 it's going to be a she-tzu, or other handbag dog. Such is the cultural gulf.

I don't want to be negative at all, just trying to help you see the hurdle you're facing. A mate of mine back home has 3 ridgies, so I know what characterful and well-behaved dogs they are...

p.s. just noticed your latter point. Even cats are banned from HDBs, so I can't imagine they're be open to dogs. That leaves you (and others in your position) looking at condos. Regarding whether there are any pet-friendly ones, I've not heard that discussed before.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:07 am

IMO you really need a landed property (i.e. a house or terrace) or perhaps a ground floor condo.

That will be expensive.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:18 am

What's the issue with Muslims and dogs??? I noticed Malays prefer cats, but I didn't think it is bcuz of Islam vs dogs issues...

Btw, explanation of why dogs preferred in HDB compared to cats is plain dumb and incomprehensible for me. Cats are BY FAR much cleaner than dogs (its in their instinct).

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:44 am

Sergei82 wrote:What's the issue with Muslims and dogs??? I noticed Malays prefer cats, but I didn't think it is bcuz of Islam vs dogs issues...

Btw, explanation of why dogs preferred in HDB compared to cats is plain dumb and incomprehensible for me. Cats are BY FAR much cleaner than dogs (its in their instinct).
Specifically with Malays and Dogs the issue is a poor interpretation of the PM (PBUH) command about dogs being unclean. I have plenty of friends in other countries who are muslims and have pet dogs (although in all fairness they tend to keep them outside but so do I).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:45 am

Sergei82 wrote:What's the issue with Muslims and dogs??? I noticed Malays prefer cats, but I didn't think it is bcuz of Islam vs dogs issues...
Google on 'islam dogs malaysia' if you want some in-depth version.

But basically, their nose and saliva is considered 'haram', i.e. 'unclean'. So in some respects muslims won't run in terror of the dog itself, but perhaps more that it might bound up and want a big wet nuzzle.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:48 am

It's Islam. Apparently the saliva of a dog is impure however you can keep a working (hunting) dog and although it will get saliva on whatever it kills that does not make the meat impure and you can still eat it.

Go figure :o

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:00 am

Sergei82 wrote:Btw, explanation of why dogs preferred in HDB compared to cats is plain dumb and incomprehensible for me. Cats are BY FAR much cleaner than dogs (its in their instinct).
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10326p.nsf ... enDocument

Their explanation is not based on the cleanless and I think it's pretty reasonable:

Cats

Flat owners are not allowed to keep cats in HDB flats, as it is generally difficult to confine cats within the flat premises. Nuisance caused by cats such as shedding of their fur, defecating/urinating in public areas or even the caterwauling sounds that they make can cause a lot of disturbance, which affects the environment and disrupts neighbourliness in our housing estates.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:37 am

Steve1960 wrote:

It's Islam. Apparently the saliva of a dog is impure however you can keep a working (hunting) dog and although it will get saliva on whatever it kills that does not make the meat impure and you can still eat it.

Go figure :o
Maybe because you'll clean and cook the meat. You're not going to clean and/or cook your hand or your face when a dog slobbers all over you?

I know it's cool to bash religions, but this is far from the silliest 'rule' that's come out of a religion.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:41 am

zzm9980 wrote:Maybe because you'll clean and cook the meat. You're not going to clean and/or cook your hand or your face when a dog slobbers all over you?

I know it's cool to bash religions, but this is far from the silliest 'rule' that's come out of a religion.
That's why it makes much more sense for them NOT to have dogs in the first place, or to hire a kafir to handle the working dogs.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:42 am

zzm9980 wrote:[
Maybe because you'll clean and cook the meat. You're not going to clean and/or cook your hand or your face when a dog slobbers all over you?

I wasn't religion bashing as such and I agree there are a lot siller things across all religions. Actually I believe under Islam you have to wash yourself 7 times if slobbered on by a dog.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:55 am

Of course it is difficult when you habitually leave doors and windows open (local Chinese; some Koreans are doing it as well - I saw when I was living in Seoul). Same for dogs: try to confine them like this! I like oprivacy and dun wanna fell like living on the street, so there is no way for my cat to get out.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:08 pm

This is you Sergei, but I bet the HDB rules have been created for some more typical inhabitants of this country and many of them will not provide any proper care of their pets. They will not do regular veterinary checks, they will allow them to roam freely and breed as they wish. As cats are more independent animals this problem will be more with them, not the dogs.