Singapore Expats

Buy a bicycle bag for airline luggage

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Buy a bicycle bag for airline luggage

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 2:21 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know a bike shop in Singapore that sells a luggage bag for bicycles? I'm just shipping a bike one time, so I want the cheapest one possible. Only place I've found so far is T3 in Siglap, and they wanted over S$500 for the cheapest one. That's almost half what the bike cost three years ago. :(

x9200

Re: Buy a bicycle bag for airline luggage

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 3:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know a bike shop in Singapore that sells a luggage bag for bicycles? I'm just shipping a bike one time, so I want the cheapest one possible. Only place I've found so far is T3 in Siglap, and they wanted over S$500 for the cheapest one. That's almost half what the bike cost three years ago. :(
Do you need a bag?
Bubble-wrap (2m width x 30m long ca $60), 2 reels of scotch tape and voila.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 3:41 pm

Go to a bike shop and ask if they have a spare original cardboard box that they receive the bikes in from the manufacturer. Its probably in the skip behind the shop.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 3:43 pm

Disassemble and box it?

That's how bicycles are delivered to stores anyways. You could finagle with the handle bars, the pedals and the front wheel to reduce the width.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 4:26 pm

Can you dismantle your bike? Why don't you buy one of those big china bag (I dont know the exact name but its the big square plastic bag thingy that some people use to transport huge amount of clothes). You can dismantle your bike, stuff cardboard or bubble wraps around it to provide some form of cushioning.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 7:25 pm

I've shipped using the box approach. Got the box (for free) from Treknology up by the Tanglin Mall. I should think any bike shop would be happy to get rid of a box, they throw them out after all.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 7:54 pm

So I'm going on British Airways, and they have specific instructions on using a bike bag and what parts of the bike should be dis-assembled and in what way. At least in order to avoid any extra baggage fees.

Anyway, it may be moot. I think I sold it instead. Much less than I wanted, but oh well... If the sale falls through I'll head back to the bike shop for the box, and give BA a call to see if they would take a box...