Singapore Expats Forum

Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Mar 2015 6:32 pm

They just reduced the motorcycle quota even further to 289. Now, the COE is almost 6k. Just great. What these guys are trying to achieve? Push more low income workers to use public transportation making it more crowded and the citizens even more happy?

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1468
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by bgd » Tue, 03 Mar 2015 6:40 pm

x9200 wrote:They just reduced the motorcycle quota even further to 289. Now, the COE is almost 6k. Just great. What these guys are trying to achieve? Push more low income workers to use public transportation making it more crowded and the citizens even more happy?
Singapore is first world. Too many bikes is not a good look. ](*,)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 36336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Mar 2015 8:02 pm

bgd wrote:
x9200 wrote:They just reduced the motorcycle quota even further to 289. Now, the COE is almost 6k. Just great. What these guys are trying to achieve? Push more low income workers to use public transportation making it more crowded and the citizens even more happy?
Singapore is first world. Too many bikes is not a good look. ](*,)
Especially the hoards of shoddy bikes that stream in and out of the country every day in the peak hours traffic like swarms of angry hornets across the Woodlands Causeway.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by x9200 » Wed, 04 Mar 2015 10:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
bgd wrote:
x9200 wrote:They just reduced the motorcycle quota even further to 289. Now, the COE is almost 6k. Just great. What these guys are trying to achieve? Push more low income workers to use public transportation making it more crowded and the citizens even more happy?
Singapore is first world. Too many bikes is not a good look. ](*,)
Especially the hoards of shoddy bikes that stream in and out of the country every day in the peak hours traffic like swarms of angry hornets across the Woodlands Causeway.
I was initially thinking it was about the image but yes, these streaming hoards would stay here regardless the COE and secondly, it is not like shoddy, SG woned bikes are any common in the top touristic areas.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:34 pm

Is there anybody who see any logic in what the gov does and what appear as systematic eradication of the Singapore motorcycle related industry and the riders? I am talking about the new ARF rules introduced this year adding a lot of tax to the more expensive models.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/e ... oters.html

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 1:55 pm

x9200 wrote:Is there anybody who see any logic in what the gov does and what appear as systematic eradication of the Singapore motorcycle related industry and the riders? I am talking about the new ARF rules introduced this year adding a lot of tax to the more expensive models.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/e ... oters.html

No idea. I was amazed to learn that a significant proportion of the motorcycle COE's from scrapped bikes were ending up in the 'Open' COE class (Cat E).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 5:47 pm

I read that too... 10% of the quota. Why somebody would be willing to pay that much?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 9:39 pm

The ARF example is ludicrous. A $12,000 bike is not high end in Singapore, and the poor sod who uses something larger than a 125cc buzzer pays more than $5000 in tax.

This must be all about revenue... they are going after the Harley, BMW, and Goldwing riders... they will kill sales of these bikes which are already in the $35K and up.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 5:17 am

If they were after this sort of revenue then the economy had to be in a really bad condition.
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaw ... y_make.pdf
https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltaw ... by_COE.pdf

The quota erlier reduced, it seemed it was about keeping the No of the bikes within some arbitrary limits. With this new ARF... no idea. It defies any apparent logic including, it must be also against the road safety. The folks who ride big bikes in Singapore on daily basis are among the most experienced and safe riders taking pride in riding such bikes but not necessarily rich enough to afford such dramatic hike. These are not some spoiled expat financial advisors compensating to their middle age crises.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 9:29 am

Most of my biking friends believe the LTA (and I guess the PAP) are anti biking. Why I don't know - motorcycles are efficient users of road space, parking space and fuel.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:51 am

Rode this bike for almost 8 years in Singapore... my primary transportation. 1522 cc flat six. Taxi drivers would roll down their window and ask, "How much you pay?"

Image

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:21 am

SE - you have an attractive pillion.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3975
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 2:30 pm

I was considering buying a bike again as my office is shifting to the city. But looking at the COE, never mind.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 2:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:I was considering buying a bike again as my office is shifting to the city. But looking at the COE, never mind.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
It's not that much if you finance the bike. And of course if you move then sell for the value left.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1468
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Post by bgd » Thu, 20 Apr 2017 2:45 pm

My COE is up in August, I won't be renewing. Don't really need 2 bikes. :cry:

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Certificate of Entitlement (COE)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests