Singapore Expats

Motorcycle COE quota drastically reduced

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:36 am

x9200 wrote:There are a lot of Malays and Indians and the girls do not count. If this is not the low end how it is possible that many construction site has swarms of m.bikes parked around? Hardly any other setting yields in similar observation. Management and engineers rides all these 100-150cc Hondas, Yamahas etc?

C'mon.
Young and passionate riders are easy to be distinguished from that crowd. They contribute maybe in 30% max and they ride a different class of motorbikes like b-class Kawasakies, Bajajs, etc ... all what they think has a look or elements of the unrestricted class.
I ride a Bajaj :) BTW, those construction site workers, majority ride Malaysia registered bikes. What I am trying to say is Singaporeans who ride the Honda Wave and Yamaha Spark are not the low end of the society as cost of maintaining a bike is similar to riding an MRT. I would say they are the "brave" end of the society and those that value the independence of own transport than safety.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 7:12 am

Wd40 wrote:I ride a Bajaj :) BTW, those construction site workers, majority ride Malaysia registered bikes. What I am trying to say is Singaporeans who ride the Honda Wave and Yamaha Spark are not the low end of the society as cost of maintaining a bike is similar to riding an MRT. I would say they are the "brave" end of the society and those that value the independence of own transport than safety.
Could be the brave end but it is still the low end (I did not say the lowest). For the mentioned earlier students it is also hardly the case. I am staying a lot within NTU/NUS campuses and there are some for sure, but it's a clear minority. Probably more students drive BMWs and such than motorbikes.
Hard to believe all the hondas/yamahas are from Malaysia.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 8:48 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Wd40 as well. University students will be driving cages (usually nicer models to boot) with some exceptions. The enthusiasts, however, will be driving more upmarket bikes of the same cc or larger capacity bikes.

Most 'nice' girls don't want to hike their skirts over the back end of a bike and therefore it doesn't behoove a young male to ride a pea-shooter unless that's all he can afford. Most of the lower end riders in Singapore ride bikes because that is the only transport they can afford and it's also a way for the lower educated male to ensure that he can always find a job - dispatch, delivery, etc where own transport is required). Those who can afford to ride BIG bikes do so as a statement of independence and know that bikes over, say 750 cc up (bigger is better in this case) is a babe magnet just the opposite of same girls who would scoff at climbing on the back of 175cc peashooter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 8:55 am

Side effect of driving bikes off the road may well be less organ donors!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:03 am

It's a negligible number. Total motorcycles related fatalities are ~100 per year.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 10:36 am

PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Is this all to make the low end of the society less mobile?
Force them on to the MRT!
You gotta wonder. I figure some minister had his car dinged by a bike and is seeking revenge. Aholes.
My thought exactly. Or some Minister's Tai Tai driving CTE in her 5-Series getting stuck in the middle of one of those motorbike swarms that you often see in the late afternoon.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:35 pm

This is interesting.

when my bike was new (2012) the COE was less than half of what it would be today (give or take).

In other words, since I bought the bike in November, before the latest rises, I could probably sell it for more than I bought it for.

Madness.

(not that I am EVER going to sell that bike, it will come with me to wherever I go next - unless the COE go to something stupid like 10,000SGD obviously)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 3:28 pm

stuckmojo wrote:This is interesting.

when my bike was new (2012) the COE was less than half of what it would be today (give or take).

In other words, since I bought the bike in November, before the latest rises, I could probably sell it for more than I bought it for.

Madness.

(not that I am EVER going to sell that bike, it will come with me to wherever I go next - unless the COE go to something stupid like 10,000SGD obviously)
This is very common with cars. I've met more than a few people who bought cars here, drove them a few years, and then sold for more than the original price. This of course is completely dependent on the COE pricing, and can go either way.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah, I remember when I came here in 2009. COE was like 10k odd and people who bought it then can sell it now after 5 years for a profit! :o

I met a person who bought a Mazda 3 and a condo at bayshore park as soon as he came to Singapore in 2009. Thats probably the best financial decision anybody could have made, ever.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 9:34 pm

I suspect the contraction in motorbike COE's is that the LTA is cannabilizing the category for the small car "A?" category on a 2:1 ratio....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 8:22 am

Current COE S$4,489.
Now this is already insane.

I completely fail to understand the purpose. This way they will have:
1) more people using already overcrowded public transportation
2) more older motorbikes on the streets

and nothing to gain in exchange, that would make any visible positive impact on anything.

I wonder if this has long term something to do with the PR to stay further away from the neighbouring countries having on the streets only high-end motorcycles.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:01 am

x9200 wrote:Current COE S$4,489.
Now this is already insane.

I completely fail to understand the purpose. This way they will have:
1) more people using already overcrowded public transportation
2) more older motorbikes on the streets

and nothing to gain in exchange, that would make any visible positive impact on anything.

I wonder if this has long term something to do with the PR to stay further away from the neighbouring countries having on the streets only high-end motorcycles.
I'm still convinced it's the hopelessly incompetent LTA stealing motorbike quotas to prop up the falling quota in the car categories.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:12 am

I sold my Bajaj Pulsar 200 with 4 years COE remaining just 2 days ago for $2700. It was excellent condition mechanically, but the paintwork had faded. The rise in COE prices hasn't yet trickled into the used bikes market, if I had waited for couple of months, probably I would have got a better price. But I can't wait that long.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:49 pm

How many bikes here belong to Malaysians over for work compared to those which belong to Sg residents?

I suspect they don't want to turn Sg into another KL, not that I ever see that happening. The locals like their cars too much.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 19 Apr 2014 9:07 am

bgd wrote:How many bikes here belong to Malaysians over for work compared to those which belong to Sg residents?

I suspect they don't want to turn Sg into another KL, not that I ever see that happening. The locals like their cars too much.
A lot of J* plates but mostly just going up and down the BKE/PIE to work and back home to JB. Not really noticeable in other parts of Singapore.