Singapore Expats

Saint Jack, only Hollywood movie completely shot in Spore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 8:45 pm

PNGMK, go for a bit of a stroll around some of the old malls, Katong, Siglap and such. The higher floors especially still have that barely lit old-school look-and-feel of way back Singapore. Obligatory TCM practice, various abandoned offices and Indian tailor uncle on stool all included.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:JR8, just right click on the link "Direct download link (.avi file)" and click save link as..
Thanks, but I'm lost already. No idea where these options are. (Yes I know, :roll: )

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:33 pm

Directly under the left side of the screen on the webpage in orange font you will see the words "Direct download link (.avi)" right click on that mustard orange font then select "save file as...." and save it to your desktop. It may take upwards of an hour to download the file as it's 1.1 GB in size, unless you have a fast connection.

You need to download "VLC video" if you don't have it. It' free, it's good, and it's safe. Click the following link and the software will start to download in 5 seconds. http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.1.2/win32 ... -win32.exe Install it after the download and you are good to go.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Saint Jack, only Hollywood movie completely shot in Spor

Post by Brah » Sun, 15 Feb 2015 5:19 pm

I have posted about this movie in this forum before. They started to sell the DVD a few years back after the ban on it was lifed, but I expected the version here to be cut so didn't buy it.

Years ago and before they started selling it here I watched an uncut version with a friend from the UK who had brought it over. It had some pretty interesting on-location footage of places we have all seen - The Fullerton, Clarke Quay, and a lot of quite old architecture. It showed a different world than we know. I seem to remember a particularly attractive actress in the film as well.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 15 Feb 2015 6:13 pm

Brah wrote:I have posted about this movie in this forum before. They started to sell the DVD a few years back after the ban on it was lifed, but I expected the version here to be cut so didn't buy it.

Years ago and before they started selling it here I watched an uncut version with a friend from the UK who had brought it over. It had some pretty interesting on-location footage of places we have all seen - The Fullerton, Clarke Quay, and a lot of quite old architecture. It showed a different world than we know. I seem to remember a particularly attractive actress in the film as well.
The only sex I saw in the version online was a bit of full frontal female nudity.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 15 Feb 2015 9:20 pm

The Fullerton Hotel was previously the main Singapore GPO, until it was closed in 1994/5.

I've previously described what it was like. Huge, open from the ground floor to the roof in one vast atrium hall. Quite spectacular, in an original and unspoilt architectural lay-out, per it's original design.

The other striking thing is how you got a sense of stepping into a colonial-era 2nd-world government administrative office of some kind (you could have been in Calcutta, or similar). The huge crowds, maybe 20 separate queues, and general noise and chaos all around.

I'm glad I got to experience both then, and later now as it is... as it is it's internally completely unrecognisable.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Feb 2015 11:26 pm

After it was the GPO but before it became a hotel, it housed IRAS. I know as I made a number of trips down there thanks to my company's Australian lady boss who jumped ship back to Australia and left me with her leaky sinking company ship. I actually had to wind up the company without being an officer of the company, only the GM. Quite an education, truth be known.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers