Singapore Expats

Dragon boat fun in Singapore

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
BritishDragonsSG

Dragon boat fun in Singapore

Post by BritishDragonsSG » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 9:30 am

If you're new to Singapore or looking for a new team sport in 2014 (tis the season for New Year's Resolutions!) you may like to know about the British Dragons dragon boat team here in Singapore.

You don't have to be British - we have 16 nationalities on the team. It's a great way to meet new people and we have a huge amount of fun – the team's motto is 'party hard, paddle harder.”
1 Team, 16 Nationalities, 2 Objectives: Party Hard, Paddle Harder!

britishdragonboat.com
facebook.com/britishdragons

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:08 am

1) 3:30 pm - a good chance to get under scorching hell
2) I have both shoulder tendonitis. Mainly from lifting, not from pulling (raising my arm up is a trouble, lowering with resistance is better) - does this rowing seriously affect shoulder joint or most of the work is done by core (spinal extensors, abs, glutes)?

BritishDragonsSG

Post by BritishDragonsSG » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:15 am

Hi Sergei

For new paddlers, you're learning the technique at a relatively gentle pace, so my advice is to come try it out and see how you respond.

With regard to your shoulder, the correct technique for our stroke (different teams paddle different ways) is very much using your core and legs for power rather than your arms, though obviously we are lifting and re-entering the paddle but that movement comes from the core. We have professional coaches who work with us on correct technique and body position to avoid injuries.

We meet at 3.30 for warmups and head out around 4 - we train later in the afternoon because the sun is lower in the sky so it's actually cooler then, but we have to be back before the sun begins to set for safety reasons. It's actually been wonderful conditions lately with the cooler weather - long may it continue!

Hopefully we'll see you soon.

Anna

britishdragonboat.com

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 7:40 pm

Hi Anna,
My fiancé and I are moving out in August and are both really excited about coming along to try this. I know it's still months away but do you accept newbies throughout the year?

BritishDragonsSG

Post by BritishDragonsSG » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 11:13 pm

Yes, we accept newbies all year round.

Most of the people who join us wish they'd joined on their first week in Singapore, simply because we have such good fun together, so good on you getting sorted early!

In the meantime, like us on Facebook and catch up with our videos via britishdragonboat.com

See you later in the year.

Anna

britishdragonboat.com