cc to 496 people

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 3:54 pm
Location: out & about

cc to 496 people

Post by martincymru » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 1:42 pm

Well known agency sent cc to 496 expats (mainly) last week instead of Bcc. Are you one of them?

Moral of the story is, know the difference between Bcc and cc emails!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 1:51 pm

Don't recall seeing it but it could have been caught by the spam controls and deleted. Or maybe I am just not important enough :wink:

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Post by nutnut » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:28 pm

Muppets!
nutnut

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6869
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:14 pm

The best is when everyone keeps replying to all to ask to be taken off the list. :)

I wasn't on this list, but I've been in similar situations. Once it was CC'd to a group alias that had over 20,000 people.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8352
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:55 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I wasn't on this list, but I've been in similar situations. Once it was CC'd to a group alias that had over 20,000 people.
So much fun in the morning in a multinational company and when the original email was sent when your time zone had everyone asleep.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Post by nutnut » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 5:02 pm

Yes, we had someone send a test email to the whole company (>60K people) and at least 150 people replied to all.

No other emails that day!

I woke up to my blackberry going mental at 6:45am... Mail gateways failed.
nutnut

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16521
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 6:54 pm

nutnut wrote:Yes, we had someone send a test email to the whole company (>60K people) and at least 150 people replied to all.
No other emails that day!
I woke up to my blackberry going mental at 6:45am... Mail gateways failed.
Back in the 90s in the Wall St shop I worked, we had the e-mail 'Address list'. This had all individuals. Then you could e-mail a group like '#Debt Finance#' [30 people?], '#Debt#' [750?] and so on. Then there were whole office lists, like the 4,000 office in London. Then there a few global ones.... i.e. up to 50k people.

This was back in the earlier days of e-mail. I think they learned having a platform quite as open as that wasn't the best idea for the employee potentially having a melt-down... [I think it was a secretary in Tokyo getting banged out by her American SVP ... 'You mean you don't really love me, but you say you do?' cue virtual e-ice-pick in forehead, copied to 50k people etc

User avatar
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 3:54 pm
Location: out & about

Post by martincymru » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:14 pm

I got email other day from one them....... watch this space ... a "class action...".

It's serious for the Recruitment Agency ! Some would say most deserve it.

Not sure you can get money unless prove harm.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:58 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:46 pm

JR8 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Yes, we had someone send a test email to the whole company (>60K people) and at least 150 people replied to all.
No other emails that day!
I woke up to my blackberry going mental at 6:45am... Mail gateways failed.
Back in the 90s in the Wall St shop I worked, we had the e-mail 'Address list'. This had all individuals. Then you could e-mail a group like '#Debt Finance#' [30 people?], '#Debt#' [750?] and so on. Then there were whole office lists, like the 4,000 office in London. Then there a few global ones.... i.e. up to 50k people.

This was back in the earlier days of e-mail. I think they learned having a platform quite as open as that wasn't the best idea for the employee potentially having a melt-down... [I think it was a secretary in Tokyo getting banged out by her American SVP ... 'You mean you don't really love me, but you say you do?' cue virtual e-ice-pick in forehead, copied to 50k people etc
The company I work for requires authorisation and justification for adding individuals to any of the group email addresses. As you say companies are a lot wiser now.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests