Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore from UK... HELP!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ruberella

Moving to Singapore from UK... HELP!

Post by ruberella » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 7:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

Im moving out to Singapore in a couple of weeks for a year and half to work.

Im really excited to get out there but have a few worries too.

Is Singapore truly a freindly country? Ive heard so many good things about the fab people out there, I'm just wondering from other expats experiences if its true.

When I arrive in SG will I need to have all my employment pass documentation with me? Heard that you need this to be allowed in lol...dont wanna arrive and not have everything with me in my hand luggage.

Also, Im on a long term prescription for medication in the UK what should I do about this when I arrive in SG? Should I stock up before I come?

Lastly, Who do I need to notify in the UK that I am leaving?

Anyone that can help...thanks in advance!!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Moving to Singapore from UK... HELP!

Post by local lad » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:56 am

ruberella wrote: Is Singapore truly a freindly country?
That depends on your reaction in the jam-packed train filled with stinky locals.. :P

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:08 am

ruberella wrote:Hi Everyone,

Im moving out to Singapore in a couple of weeks for a year and half to work.

Im really excited to get out there but have a few worries too.

Is Singapore truly a freindly country? Ive heard so many good things about the fab people out there, I'm just wondering from other expats experiences if its true.
Normally yes. Would be better when you spell 'friendly' and I've correctly.
ruberella wrote:
When I arrive in SG will I need to have all my employment pass documentation with me? Heard that you need this to be allowed in lol...dont wanna arrive and not have everything with me in my hand luggage.
If your EP has already been issued, then all you need is the EP letter issued by the SG govt. However, if you forget that, they'll help you at the airport, but there will be delays/waiting.
ruberella wrote: Also, Im on a long term prescription for medication in the UK what should I do about this when I arrive in SG? Should I stock up before I come?
Consult your GP. The medicine system is pretty similar between the UK and SG.

ruberella wrote: Lastly, Who do I need to notify in the UK that I am leaving?
No one. Except your family/friends. The govt will know from the airline database that you left.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:05 pm

Top-hole, bottoms-up, and welcome to the forum!
A few worries is a positive, it certainly beats apathy.

Is it friendly? Yes pretty much as say London is. Most people are disinterested, a few are friendly, a few are jerks, and so on. Big cities don’t tend to be gushingly-friendly. But it’s not as ‘bristling’ as say NYC or Tokyo, it’s far more languid...

You have your EP approved, but not yet issued right? Ok, assuming [potentially important: check] you have then on the white immigration ‘Form 27E’, handed out on the flight, just indicate that you wish to stay for 30 days. Check your nationality/passport is entitled to a ‘Form 27E’ SVP on arrival (www.ica.gov.sg , but if you’re a Brit on a Brit passport that can be short-cut, the answer is you can). The form does not ask for the purpose of your visit. If the immigration guy asks, then simply explain. If possible, do have your IPA-approval documentation at hand.

Get the longest term prescription your doctor will give you. Maybe you have health/prescription insurance via work, if not, bring the max with you, will work out way cheaper than buying retail here.

Notify the UK?: Yes, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm
Evidencing residency-status for tax liability is potentially important...

--------

@HA
‘Normally yes. Would be better when you spell 'friendly' and I've correctly.’

And it would be better if you construct grammar correctly too.
Yes, another pedant hoist on his own petard.
Jeez, never thought I’d become a grammar-fascist lol...

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:11 pm

"And it would be better if you construct grammar correctly too. "

haha, I had stard with 'if', but changed it to 'when' in the hope that this was one off for the OP. But point taken Mr Grammar ;)

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:15 pm

JR8 wrote: Notify the UK?: Yes, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm
Evidencing residency-status for tax liability is potentially important...
I disagree, although no harm in doing so. When I left the UK, didn't inform HMRC or any Govt dept. One can specify this in their year end filing, no need to add another item to the to-do list.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:20 pm

Do complete the UK tax form P85 as JR8 suggests and make sure you have your P45 to hand as they will ask for it.

You may be entitled to a UK tax rebate depending on your circumstances and when you leave. I received mine last week although I have been in Singapore nearly two years!

Guys what are you doing to me? I had to read this posting three times to make sure the grammar was reasonable before hitting send
:lol:

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:33 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Do complete the UK tax form P85 as JR8 suggests and make sure you have your P45 to hand as they will ask for it.

You may be entitled to a UK tax rebate depending on your circumstances and when you leave. I received mine last week although I have been in Singapore nearly two years!
ohoo. thank you for the reminder! i forgot my P85! ..

so @Steve1960, you sent your P85 together with P45 from here to your UK's tax office?
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:57 pm

chris_pilgrim wrote:so @Steve1960, you sent your P85 together with P45 from here to your UK's tax office?
I have done so previously. Draws a line in the sand.

Better that than say 10 years later in the middle of some bun-fight over the capital-gains-tax status over one or multiple properties, having to retrospectively prove your geographical location and tax residence.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 8:25 am

chris_pilgrim wrote:[

ohoo. thank you for the reminder! i forgot my P85! ..

so @Steve1960, you sent your P85 together with P45 from here to your UK's tax office?
Yes sent both from Singapore although strictly speaking I think you are supposed to do it before you leave.

ruberella

Post by ruberella » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Will get all that sorted before I leave then.

Nice to see that Grammar Fascism isn't restricted only to the UK!!

Singapore here I come!!

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 9:11 pm

You should not worry about your medication. Just make sure that it is a medication legally sold in Singapore. If it is, your local GP will most likely be able to dispense it for you from their own stock at their surgery. Otherwise you can collect it from Gardian (Chemist/Pharmacy).
You can also buy many prescription medicines, without a prescription, in Malaysia.

ruberella

Post by ruberella » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:00 pm

katbh wrote:You should not worry about your medication. Just make sure that it is a medication legally sold in Singapore. If it is, your local GP will most likely be able to dispense it for you from their own stock at their surgery. Otherwise you can collect it from Gardian (Chemist/Pharmacy).
Is there a certain way I should check my medication is sold?

Is it straight forward to get registered with a doctor?

Thanks

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:21 pm

No problems walking into clinic and no need to register with only one doctor. Not like the UK. Most medicines are available - if not under your usual name, with another name. Where are you going to be living? This may help with doctor identification. You could also try ringing the pharmacy of any private hospital. Try Parkway East Hospital at Joo Chiat Place and ask to be put through to the pharmacy. Say what medicine you are after - make sure you actually know the dosage and active ingredient (so that alternative brands can be checked).

ruberella

Post by ruberella » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 11:26 pm

I'm living on Farrer road, or will be...not sure who the nearest doctor will be??
Am I right in thinking I can walk in to the doctors and request my medication? I will try and find out if my medication is available out there. Thanks for your help so far!!

So much to think about!! :???: