Singapore Expats

Want to watch Winter Olympics - Men's Ice Hockey

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
flybyandby

Post by flybyandby » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:09 am

I'm also looking for a place

x
Last edited by flybyandby on Sat, 11 Oct 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevem

Post by stevem » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 1:26 am

I am on the way. Got tied up. I hope it'll stay open.

Not sure the taxi driver knows the place. So maybe I won't get there.

Edit: I'm here. They have beer but there are a bunch of people here watching figure skating!? They'll put the game on after figure skating is over. Arg. So close. How long is a game of figure skating?

mike-hamhuis

Post by mike-hamhuis » Sat, 15 Feb 2014 1:49 am

Sorry guys!

I'm down here now. Unfortunately the cable provider Singtel Mio, has chosen the Finland vs Norway game as the GAME OF THE NIGHT??!!

Hoping they will switch halfway through, but unlikely...

Currently at Harry's down the way, closes at 2am. Korean place open late, but playing figure skating now. Possible to ask to switch to hockey...

Hoping for better luck for the Finland game!

GO CANADA GO!

katolisto

Post by katolisto » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 2:19 am

I, too headed down to Damotory and realized they were showing figure skating :?

I then saw mike-hamhuis at Harry's where ice hockey was showed until about what, 2am or something.

Would love to join anyone here who can find another place that will screen the CAN vs FIN match. It's at 1AM tho, so it's the same problem.

Update guys! I'll post up here if I can find a bar too. Cheers.

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 2:36 am

I was at wala wala in HV and they played the USA vs. Russia match. No sound, but it didn't matter. There was quite the crowd watching, so I bet they would play other games. It was an 8:30 game though, so I don't know about the 1am games. It looks like they close at 2am.

stevem

Post by stevem » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 4:53 pm

I'm going to try again as well tonight. Need to get this figured out before the medal round! The real gimme games are over too, if Rask (or Niemi) gets hot tonight, anything can happen. Tonight's game could be the first exciting one for Canada.

I'm going to try the Robertson Quay area again, I spied skiing in a different bar, so I suspect that there are a couple in the area with the feeds. If anybody here finds a better place, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm interested in getting together/meeting up - a group of hockey fans should be able to overwhelm the figure skating fans. A few locals that I'm working with are intrigued by my quest to see these games and they may join me tonght as well.

Steve

katolisto

Post by katolisto » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 7:48 pm

I can't find a place that closes late tonight.

@stevem - the korean place again you meant?

stevem

Post by stevem » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 8:01 pm

Yes, the Korean place. I'm pretty sure that if I'd gotten there around midnight and asked about the game and sat down with a pitcher or two of beer then they'd have put the game on. They said that they closed at 5am for the last game, but that was Friday night. Don't know if they're open that late tonight.

Problem was I wasn't able to get there until about 2am. By then, the figure skating fans had their seats and drinks, etc.

I'm going to try to get there for midnight. If that doesn't work out, as I said before, there was a different olympic feed in a bar across the courtyard. I think there's a reasonable shot at getting to see the game there. Given that I don't know much of anything about SG, I can't think of a better idea. :)

So I'll be heading to Robertson Quay before midnight tonight and will try hard to find the game. If anybody finds the game somewhere else, please post address info sufficient for me to find it in a taxi. You "locals" are used to the shorthand and acronyms for places, it would be greatly appreciated if you help an ignorant Canadian out with a few extra keystrokes... :)

And if anybody's interested, I'll post success or failure of getting the game on somewhere in Robertson Quay.

Steve

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:46 pm

Well, with work in the morning I wont be joining any weeknight games. But, Friday is the semifinal 1 and 2 games. I'd love to meet up with others to cheer on Canada. (or your respective country). I suspect I'd have a couple colleagues join too. So please keep posted on good bars. Cheers.

katolisto

Post by katolisto » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 5:55 am

Just watched the women's match. It was awesome.

If you missed it, you just need to find it and catch the last 30 mins (or so) of the game.

If any of you guys are able to come up with the place to watch the men's game, do update here! Very keen. Thanks!

nedspeed

Canada/USA Men's Semi Finals TONIGHT, Public House Boat Quay

Post by nedspeed » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 1:54 pm

Howdy Folks!
We've managed to get Public House down in Boat Quay to play the USA/Canada semi tonight for us, 1am... Sound and everything. Please share with all hockey lovers and look forward to a great game!
GO CANADA!!!
Here's Public House details- https://www.facebook.com/thepublichouse.sg

nedspeed

Let's see another great Canadian reaction like this!

Post by nedspeed » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 1:58 pm

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 2:18 pm

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 8:08 pm

Totally planning to come. :D

katolisto

Post by katolisto » Fri, 21 Feb 2014 8:40 pm

@musicgirl Heading to public house or the Korean place?

It seems like there's gonna be a lot of americans at Public House... :lol:

Do they have a big screen - because the Korean place at Robertson have a big screen... and I hope I'll be able to get a seat! I might be alone tho.

What time is everyone's gonna be there?