Singapore Expats Forum

Greetings from Carteki

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Greetings from Carteki

Postby carteki » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:14 am

Heya

I see you're all still around and kicking! I haven't popped by for a while so thought I'd say "hi". I've been in Cape Town for going on 4 months now and loving every minute of it and not missing Singapore - some of the people - yes! the place - nah!

So what have I missed? I heard some kid hacked a government web site or 2 (but they caught him) and you've had a "really cold and windy" monsoon season but other than that Singapore doesn't really feature.

Asia has made its way to this part of the world in a little way - just enough so I don't miss it too much. I have a "hawker centre style" asian restaurant just across the road from me with Indian, Malay and Chinese food (relatively authentic) and there is even a Korean BBQ restaurant in town!

SMS - what are you up to these days? How many days left until your son finishes NS and you get to go to the farm?

SE - are you still in Singapore or have you left those shores as well?

Wishing you all the best.
Anon

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Greetings from Carteki

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 9:24 am

carteki wrote:Heya

Hi .. to you too :)

I have given up my savings plan to head near to the 'mountains' you went .. though I have put it in my bucket list

SMS is alive and kicking, as per our last gathering ;)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:01 am

Was always interested to know the following about Cape Town:
1) Is it safe there? How about crime rate? I hear a lot of people get killed in South Africa.
2) How is the nightlife there? Better or worse than in SG?
3) What's the problem with HIV?
4) Is 2 weeks enough to visit Cape Town?
5) Is it an interesting place to live long term compared to SG?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:24 am

Hey carteki, how you doin'. Sounds like you're glad to be back home. That's good. My daughter just got back from west africa last week (where she's been working month on/off for Maersk Drilling as their land based HR functionary in Luanda for the last three years). Son's out of the Navy, but still have the crone around so still here for a while longer at least.

SE is back in Houston, but I'm sure he'll see your post this evening and pipe in. Glad all is well. Take care.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 2:38 am

Hi Carteki - great to hear from you and glad you are enjoying Capetown. I loved the place, as well as the opportunity to travel to the wine country and up the east coast through Tsitsikamma.

I am back in the USA with very mixed emotions about the whole thing. Nice to be close to family and friends but there is nothing to recommend Houston and when compared to Singapore... well, there is no comparison.

How long will you be in Capetown?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 4:41 am

Hello!
Good to hear from you all again.

SE - Never been to Texas (well anywhere in the US other than the east coast for that matter!) so can't comment on the differences. Isn't there another ex-expats member who is there (or Dallas?) JohnD I think his "handle" was. Friend of Sierraxxxx
I'm not planning on leaving! This was my first move where I owned any furniture and it was a nightmare. Renovations, shipping companies (I actually got told I shouldn't get upset because nobody else had!) aargh - way too much hassle. But then I never planned on going to Singapore in the 1st place - so who knows!

SMS - good to hear all is well and your daughter has managed to stay out of trouble in Luanda.

Ecurilx - pity - I'd love to go back, but they're now targeting the foreigners there :cry: Plenty of mountains here which I'm making the most of, along with the sailing, cheap & plentiful alcohol (I stopped off for lunch at a wine farm the other day just because it was on my way!).

Sergi82 - I don't know if we've met. One thing I've learnt with my travels is that everyone sees things differently. I'll answer your questions as best I can ... but you'll find other points of view as well.
1- Crime - Its not Singapore. The murder rate is high, but 90% of that is in the black communities. You hear the sensational stories, but the reality is different. I only know of 2 people in my extended extended circle who've been murdered. One was random. The other was a murder suicide. Other crime - yes its there. Just be aware of it and don't do stupid things.
2- Can't comment on the nightlife. I probably went "out" about 2 or 3 times in Singapore in total. But there is one.
3 - HIV - don't have unprotected sex. Seriously people have done PHD's on the topic - you need to be a little more specific.
4 - Depends ... most people can get a good overview of SA in 3 weeks, but thats hittitng the tourist hotspots and moving on. Others keep on coming back and back and back. Don't come in the middle of winter though - all the sightseeing is outdoors and its chilly. Then again there is a great food scene in Cape Town - so you could spend 2 weeks just eating.
5 - I would NEVER consider living long term in Singapore - 6 years (with constant travel) drove me insane - but then South Africa is my home. It depends. I may still land up in JHB. Its a different "can do, happening" vibe. The "tomorrow is another day" Cape Town vibe annoys me from time to time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:17 am

Morning!

Carteki wrote: 1- Crime - ... I only know of 2 people in my extended extended circle who've been murdered.

:o We're meant to take some comfort from that eh?

carteki wrote: 5 -... I may still land up in JHB. Its a different "can do, happening" vibe. The "tomorrow is another day" Cape Town vibe annoys me from time to time.

Is it a case of Cape Town being too 'arrived/cool/globally hip' for it's own good, a kinda complacency of the successful?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 29 Jan 2014 9:31 am

Hey carteki, happy to see you here after so long! Although we have been in forum for quite a bit, I didn't get to meet you in person before you leave.

Hope all is happy and sunny back home.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 4:54 pm

:Surprised: We're meant to take some comfort from that eh?

I was just trying to illustrate that the high murder rate is very specific to a particular segement of the population. My suspicion is that its more dangerous to cross a street in Singapore. Other crimes ... I tend to liken SA to Malaysia and in general the comparison works very well (politics as well funnily enough!)

Is it a case of Cape Town being too 'arrived/cool/globally hip' for it's own good, a kinda complacency of the successful?

I have no clue why it is. "Its the mountain; dude" is the common explanation! Again in the Asian context JHB = Hong Kong, Cape Town = Singapore.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:34 pm

carteki wrote:
:Surprised: We're meant to take some comfort from that eh?

I was just trying to illustrate that the high murder rate is very specific to a particular segement of the population. My suspicion is that its more dangerous to cross a street in Singapore. Other crimes ... I tend to liken SA to Malaysia and in general the comparison works very well (politics as well funnily enough!)

I have no clue why it is. "Its the mountain; dude" is the common explanation! Again in the Asian context JHB = Hong Kong, Cape Town = Singapore.

Capetown is so much more that Singapore. Besides Table Mountain and the fantastic shoreline and harbors, there is the cape itself just a short drive away, the fantastic cliffs of Hermanus, and a vibrant cultural scene.

Joberg, OTOH, has a downtown that is deserted, high crime, and while it has some great neighborhoods (I stayed in Melville), it's far different from Capetown.