Singapore Expats

Crazy Woman Doing Survey... Scam?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Peeved

Crazy Woman Doing Survey... Scam?

Post by Peeved » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 1:30 pm

Has anyone come across some american/canadian woman doing a survey in Tanglin Mall? She gets your phone number then wants to meet up... She seems rather unbalance and got very weird with me on the phone.

I then heard from a colleague that she used to be in Tokyo running some kind of scam which started with a survey and involves getting you to buy something with ever escalating costs. Recently she moved to Singapore.

Am curious if anyone has dealt wtih her and knows what her game is.

If you do come across her I definitely recommend a bit of caution ie don't give your credit card details!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:33 pm

The woman is Anne Kinsey and she's definately wacko like jacko. She's been here for a number of years already 3 or 4 anyway. Wait till she starts calling you at all hours of the nights and cussing you out. Unfortunately the police nor singtel will do anything about her.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 2:36 pm

Why isn't anybody doing anything about her though?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:18 pm

Actually a damn good question. People have tried but for some reason the police claim she hasn't done anything that they can actually arrest her or deport her for. I mean, less face it, a lot of us are worse than she is when we get sloshed on Friday nights. As far as Singtel is concerned, you have given her your phone number so it's your problem (actually I concur there - you should be more careful to whom you give your number to).

She is a character though..... :shock:

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:32 pm

seems to me you got to know her a bit better sms? :mrgreen:

Interested in hearing your story about her!

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:46 pm

Nope! Forewarned is forearmed! :mrgreen:

Already knew about her prior to running into her at Tanglin Shopping Centre ( She's also been known to turn up at Parkway Parade as well so be on the lookout you Eastcoasters :D) Maybe I'll put in a good word for you Eric. :wink: Let her know you are into nutritional studies!

You just have to be careful, for you it's easy, just don't react to english speaking wild looking looney women in shopping centres. As long as you don't "understand english" she quite harmless. Make the mistake of replying to her initially and be prepared to eventually doing one of two things, suffer the embarassment or run like hell! She will follow you all over the shop!

elizabeth
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elizabeth » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:47 pm

Tell us more about her her look, the way she dress talk and etc... so we can pay more attention to her. and not fall into her by giving her our phone number..

I wonder for those pple whom i given her their number how they handle her.. Pls tell us if you have such encounter..

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 3:53 pm

SMS, she can actually be sued for harrassment. She always follows, calls or embarrasses people. Isn't that like stalking? I've found an offence! :idea: :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 4:13 pm

Stef....

Believe me, there is no society more lawsuit happy than the US. There have been numerous occasions where she has harassed other yanks and canadians as well. Unfortunately, this is Singapore and it won't hold water over here. Don't know what colour hair or style she is using now but she does have a wild look to her (it's in her eyes). She starts out harmless enough but it's when you try to escape that things start going to hell in a tin cup! She usually starts out with wanting you to be part of a nutrition survey....

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 4:18 pm

She sounds super scary! :(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 4:25 pm

I give you Anne Kinsey.

Yes, she might have a history but I think that is exactly what it is....History!

sms

Post by Guest » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 5:08 pm

As soon as I read the first post I knew who you were referring to. She approached my wife and myself at a financial planning seminar. Had nothing to do with the seminar but was floating around doing the business card collection thing. She appeared friendly but pushie so I gave her my card when she asked. She said she was new here and was doing work with some University. Unfortunetly I threw her card out. She said it would be nice to catch up for coffie and immediatly departed to collect more cards. We both laughed and I actually thought of talking to the orginiser about throwing her out. Now I wish I did. Anyway she started calling my wife asking to go for coffie. My wife works and is very busy with apointments all over Singapore so its hard to make coffie apointments, not that she wanted to with a perfect stranger anyway. Ann called back another time and was really pushy, big mistake doing that with my wife. Well after getting the best of the Aussie language, slang and some other verbals thrown at her through the phone, we have never been bothered again.

So there you have it, a lession on how to get rid of her, just tell her to F*** OFF.

I wish I kept her card so I could give you some more info on the stupid bitch.

Peeved

My Story

Post by Peeved » Wed, 03 Aug 2005 7:22 pm

I love you guys... I never use this forum but was told you'd know all about her and they were right!
OK my interaction with her was very mild but tinged with a bit of hysterics:

She approached me in Tanglin Market place near the fruits and asked if I was interested in GMO labelling, which I am. Said she was doing a survey. She had a clipboard and it all looked rather official. She is in her 40s, american accent, medium build, height... nothing unsual.
She asked for my number and said she'd do the survey later. I got a call some time later from another woman claiming to be her assistant who wanted to set up the appointment.

I made arrangements to meet her but there was some confusion and when she called she said she'd be late etc. etc. I asked if we couldn't do the survey over the phone: NO NO! there are things I must show you....
So I tried rescheduling which is when she got weird... starting saying stuff like we HAD to meet NOW, it was VERY important, there are people starving, the Tsunami, world peace is at stake... nuts. Anyway I politely told her I was no longer interested in the survey then hung up.

That was just two days ago so I half expect further calls. With a little luck she's on to some other poor sob. I guess you can't avoid crossing paths with the insane every now and again. Still kicking myself that I didn't see it coming though. :oops:

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Global Citizen » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 8:04 am

Anne Kinsey has also been a topic of discussion several times at the other board. I think her M.O. seems to be of approaching Caucasians more so than locals. You could perhaps try doing a search for her there (it may be archived) if you'd like more information on the loony one.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Em Eye » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 9:33 am

I met her at BFD's Eastcoast a few Sunday's ago. She overheard a conversation I was having with friends about my upcoming trip to New York. She started talking to me about New York and something wasn't right. She then told me about a famous sex paper that she had wrote about homosexuals and was upset that I didn't know who she was. She then told me her name and I was floored, it all made sence. She asked for my number (I gave her a fake to get rid of her). She also said she had married a gay guy...interesting...