Singapore Expats

Pet relocation

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Pet relocation

Post by JWNYsg » Sun, 27 Nov 2022 2:57 pm

Hi,

Can I kindly check is there a difference on getting a relocation company here or from the country my pet is coming from? Due to language barriers

Is the quarantine facility at sembawang or changi? Can we visit our pet every day?

My friends recommend Asian tigers to handle the delicate relocation but of you have any highly recommended handlers. Would deeply appreciate if you could share in discretion.

Many thanks all

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Pet relocation

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 27 Nov 2022 3:32 pm

From my experience, you actually need two companies. One to handle export from the origin country, the other to handle import in Singapore. I helped to relocate my husband’s cat from US to SG.

I went with Jason’s Pet Relocation on the Singapore side. They recommended a company in the US that they have worked with many times. Both companies will be communicating with each other to make sure the relocation is seamless.

US company handled all the export documents & reminded my in-laws to send the cat to the vet for the necessary procedures. They will help to book plane ticket for the cat and also picked up the cat and transported it all the way to the international airport. SG company received the cat at Changi and was with the cat when the vet checked it before delivering her to me for home quarantine.

I did home quarantine as the official quarantine space was fully booked out. You can ask the SG side whether home quarantine is still an option? For the official quarantine space, I read on blogs that you can visit daily during the visiting hours but I’ve never been there so I don’t know if anything has been changed.

Never heard of Asian Tigers being used to relocate pets… mostly for personal belongings. If you follow Jason’s Pet Relocation IG or FB page, they have helped to relocate pets from all over the world, within Asia as well. I’m sure they will recommend a company from the origin country that they have worked with before.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 27 Nov 2022 11:07 pm

JWNYsg wrote:
Sun, 27 Nov 2022 2:57 pm
Hi,

Can I kindly check is there a difference on getting a relocation company here or from the country my pet is coming from? Due to language barriers

Is the quarantine facility at sembawang or changi? Can we visit our pet every day?

My friends recommend Asian tigers to handle the delicate relocation but of you have any highly recommended handlers. Would deeply appreciate if you could share in discretion.

Many thanks all
The quarantine facility should be at Changi, but you won't be able to transport the animal from the flight to the quarantine facility anyway. You may be able to visit, but I'm not sure exactly as when we moved my sister-in-law's dog over, it was during Covid.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 27 Nov 2022 11:08 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sun, 27 Nov 2022 3:32 pm
From my experience, you actually need two companies. One to handle export from the origin country, the other to handle import in Singapore. I helped to relocate my husband’s cat from US to SG.

I went with Jason’s Pet Relocation on the Singapore side. They recommended a company in the US that they have worked with many times. Both companies will be communicating with each other to make sure the relocation is seamless.

US company handled all the export documents & reminded my in-laws to send the cat to the vet for the necessary procedures. They will help to book plane ticket for the cat and also picked up the cat and transported it all the way to the international airport. SG company received the cat at Changi and was with the cat when the vet checked it before delivering her to me for home quarantine.

I did home quarantine as the official quarantine space was fully booked out. You can ask the SG side whether home quarantine is still an option? For the official quarantine space, I read on blogs that you can visit daily during the visiting hours but I’ve never been there so I don’t know if anything has been changed.

Never heard of Asian Tigers being used to relocate pets… mostly for personal belongings. If you follow Jason’s Pet Relocation IG or FB page, they have helped to relocate pets from all over the world, within Asia as well. I’m sure they will recommend a company from the origin country that they have worked with before.
We used Jason's too! When we were researching, they seemed like one of the more reputable companies, and everything went very smoothly. Pretty expensive though, so that might just be market price nowadays.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 28 Nov 2022 7:49 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 27 Nov 2022 11:07 pm
The quarantine facility should be at Changi
That is incorrect. Changi is only a temporary holding space to check on the pet after it touches down in SG. That location is not meant for it to serve out its entire quarantine. It will be transferred to the animal quarantine centre (or home quarantine) after the vet at Changi clears it.

According to this news article from last year, the Sembawang facility got replaced by the one at Jalan Lekar.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 28 Nov 2022 9:51 pm

Oh well, I've never been.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Tue, 18 Jul 2023 3:08 am

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 28 Nov 2022 7:49 am
Lisafuller wrote:
That is incorrect. Changi is only a temporary holding space to check on the pet after it touches down in SG. That location is not meant for it to serve out its entire quarantine. It will be transferred to the animal quarantine centre (or home quarantine) after the vet at Changi clears it.

According to this news article from last year, the Sembawang facility got replaced by the one at Jalan Lekar.
Yes my cat will be sent to Jalan Lekar. It’s directly opposite the Home Team Academy. It takes me 90 minutes to get there by public transport

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:11 pm

JWNYsg wrote:
Tue, 18 Jul 2023 3:08 am
MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 28 Nov 2022 7:49 am
Lisafuller wrote:

Yes my cat will be sent to Jalan Lekar. It’s directly opposite the Home Team Academy. It takes me 90 minutes to get there by public transport
Will be? It's been nine months since your first post on this thread, your cat still isn't here?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 23 Jul 2023 6:02 pm

‘Cos space in the official quarantine location is limited. When we relocated my husband’s cat in 2021, there was no quarantine space until a year later. Lucky home quarantine was an option and we took it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 Jul 2023 11:13 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sun, 23 Jul 2023 6:02 pm
‘Cos space in the official quarantine location is limited. When we relocated my husband’s cat in 2021, there was no quarantine space until a year later. Lucky home quarantine was an option and we took it.
Wow, I had no idea... what happens to the pets in the meantime if the move for the owners can't be delayed?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 24 Jul 2023 8:09 am

Family, in-laws, friends take care of the pet until the relocation date.

Some just choose not to relocate the pet at all due to the cost and give it away. Many expats do that when they leave SG and that’s why a lot of animal adoption groups here blacklist expats.

Some people even asked why did I spend so much on relocating a cat, just “get a new one”. KNN you think a pet is a piece of furniture or a handbag? It’s my own money, I’m not spending yours.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jul 2023 1:43 am

Completely agree. My dog is like a son to me, I could never just toss him to someone else.

People who think that way just aren't true animal lovers.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Tue, 19 Sep 2023 8:05 pm

Hi everyone. Sorry for going MIA

First, special thanks to MOCHS and Lisafuller for all assistance rendered.

Used Jason’s Pet relocation and they recommended a Thai relocation company as well to assist me with all the necessary paperwork, health checks and microchip insertion.

Thai company used Singapore Airlines and my little one had to be shipped via cargo. All was smooth from landing to CAPQ to transfer at AVS at Jalan Lekar

My son was obviously shaken but eventually doing well. I am almost done with the 30 day quarantine. Visiting hours are limited to 3pm-5pm daily. Extra hour on Saturdays. No visits on sundays and public holidays

Thank you everyone for keeping my fur one in your thoughts for his smooth journey

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 21 Sep 2023 1:01 pm

Glad to hear everything went well.

Just a note for anyone looking to ship their pets overseas using Singapore airlines cargo, they have stopped the service since November 2022. Want to save anybody's time because reaching their customer service team is impossible.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Thu, 21 Sep 2023 1:46 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 21 Sep 2023 1:01 pm
Just a note for anyone looking to ship their pets overseas using Singapore airlines cargo, they have stopped the service since November 2022. Want to save anybody's time because reaching their customer service team is impossible.
Are pets still allowed to travel via checked baggage (vs. cargo)? I think the difference is usually based on size/weight, so maybe you were only inquiring on cargo.