Singapore Expats

Tried to renounce - advised 'unresolved issues' with CMPB

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
envoy91

Tried to renounce - advised 'unresolved issues' with CMPB

Post by envoy91 » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 5:30 pm

Hi all,

Wanted some advice on my unique situation as I haven't found anything close which can be used to compare.

My background:
- born in Singapore, now 32 years old
- moved to the UK when I was 9 months old with my parents (mother is Singaporean but has lived in UK for last 30 years)
- never issued with any Singapore ID card, never held any Singaporean passport, never had any health service or schooling etc in the country, nor do I have any documents to suggest I am a citizen
- travelled out of the country on a UK passport (any child born abroad to a UK citizen is automatically a UK citizen by descent, hence there was no application process for additional citizenship)
- grew up in the UK completely oblivious of the fact that I am Singaporean (parents also unaware), as well as regular visits back to Singapore every couple of years and never had any issues at the border
- 3 months ago the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority wrote to my parents in the UK asking me to renounce my Singapore citizenship as they are aware I am a dual citizen (first letter ever received from the Singapore government regarding me being a citizen, never received anything about NS etc)
- after some discussion and clarification with the ICA about why I am even a citizen, I completed the renunciation forms they sent to me. They now responded that I have some outstanding NS issues which need to be resolved and to contact the CMPB

Now my questions:
(1) what does unresolved NS issues mean? Am I going to be asked to come back to Singapore to do NS?

(2) any advice on what I can do in this situation? For info, I have never lived in Singapore and nor do I have any plans to do so in the future, though it would be sad to never visit again

Keen to hear from anyone who has been in the same situation or any advice. MadScientist would be most grateful for your input as sounds like you are the expert here!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Tried to renounce - advised 'unresolved issues' with CMPB

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 6:27 pm

envoy91 wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 5:30 pm
Hi all,

Wanted some advice on my unique situation as I haven't found anything close which can be used to compare.

My background:
- born in Singapore, now 32 years old
- moved to the UK when I was 9 months old with my parents (mother is Singaporean but has lived in UK for last 30 years)
- never issued with any Singapore ID card, never held any Singaporean passport, never had any health service or schooling etc in the country, nor do I have any documents to suggest I am a citizen
- travelled out of the country on a UK passport (any child born abroad to a UK citizen is automatically a UK citizen by descent, hence there was no application process for additional citizenship)
- grew up in the UK completely oblivious of the fact that I am Singaporean (parents also unaware), as well as regular visits back to Singapore every couple of years and never had any issues at the border
- 3 months ago the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority wrote to my parents in the UK asking me to renounce my Singapore citizenship as they are aware I am a dual citizen (first letter ever received from the Singapore government regarding me being a citizen, never received anything about NS etc)
- after some discussion and clarification with the ICA about why I am even a citizen, I completed the renunciation forms they sent to me. They now responded that I have some outstanding NS issues which need to be resolved and to contact the CMPB

Now my questions:
(1) what does unresolved NS issues mean? Am I going to be asked to come back to Singapore to do NS?

(2) any advice on what I can do in this situation? For info, I have never lived in Singapore and nor do I have any plans to do so in the future, though it would be sad to never visit again

Keen to hear from anyone who has been in the same situation or any advice. MadScientist would be most grateful for your input as sounds like you are the expert here!
No one can advise you correctly here. You have to write to CMPB to check what the issues are. How can someone from the forum know what is the issue pending with CMPB?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:26 am

envoy91,
The unresolved issue is you did not do your NS. In fact, you are considered a defaulter by MINDEF as you were born to a Singaporean Mother IN SINGAPORE. Doesn't matter whether you never got an NRIC or Passport. You Singapore citizenship takes precedence over your UK citizenship as citizenship by decent is not as strong or doesn't override Citizenship by birth. Now had you been born in the UK and your mother didn't have the authorities in Singapore notified within I believe is 12 months, then the child would not have citizenship by decent from Singapore. Your parents stuffed up royally as they didn't follow the various protocols from your age of 11 (now 13).

SF, we can but not officially. All he needs to do is go to the Strictly Speaking forum and type in Mad Scientist and read his various posts. He was the expert. Former SG Milt Officer, Ret; Former ICA Senior civil servant, retired; former businessman who immigrated to Aus and took his two teenaged sons out via the various protocols legally without NS and he has assisted many on here and kept a lot from having issues because they were smart enough to ask. Our Strictly Speaking Forum is/was widely considered to have the most complete collection of data regarding Sg NS issues on the WWW for many years. I'm sure you remember the days when MS & I spent lots of time there. I had a dual citizens son who had to register for NS AND the Selective Service in the US (Even though it's been mothballed since 1975 a male US citizen still has to register.)

envoy91,
With regard to your last statement, if you write to CMPB you will get an answer to report to the CMPB as you have unresolved issues. They will not entertain him as long as he is outside of the country. Once he enters the country then they have him. I gave my former boss a heads up of what was going to happen to his son when the son was still in Sec 2. The father was a Singaporean, the mother a Polish Singapore PR. Because the mother was a PR, and the children were born in and given UK citizenship, the daughter was applied and received PR under the mother. The son wasn't put on the PR application due to the father thinking he could get around NS but I told him it is not going to work. that was 16 years ago. The son cannot get an EP to work in the family business (I was the HR & Finance Mgr of the father's Medium sized SME). I applied and wrote appeals and each time even the EP was rejected with the same statement as noted by the current poster. However, as the boy never had PR they cannot forbid him to visit Singapore but they will not give him any sort of LTVP or work visa. They know his father is a Singaporean (and a card carrying PAP member as well). So we opened a company in Yangon and he's there as the MD and occasionally comes to Singapore for a visit. The boy is in his late 20s or recently turned 30 and has a BSc & MSc in Civil Engrg but cannot get an EP to work in the family company of 225 staff. CMPB & ICA & MOM have very long memories.

SMS

There is a good chance that Mad Scientist will see this, as he is still an active reader but doesn't get involved in the rest of the forum, only dealing with NS help. Also watch your PM as he may take it off board (he is the only person we allow to do that due to the sensitivity of the issue).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

envoy91

Post by envoy91 » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 2:25 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:26 am
envoy91,
The unresolved issue is you did not do your NS. In fact, you are considered a defaulter by MINDEF as you were born to a Singaporean Mother IN SINGAPORE. Doesn't matter whether you never got an NRIC or Passport. You Singapore citizenship takes precedence over your UK citizenship as citizenship by decent is not as strong or doesn't override Citizenship by birth. Now had you been born in the UK and your mother didn't have the authorities in Singapore notified within I believe is 12 months, then the child would not have citizenship by decent from Singapore. Your parents stuffed up royally as they didn't follow the various protocols from your age of 11 (now 13).

SF, we can but not officially. All he needs to do is go to the Strictly Speaking forum and type in Mad Scientist and read his various posts. He was the expert. Former SG Milt Officer, Ret; Former ICA Senior civil servant, retired; former businessman who immigrated to Aus and took his two teenaged sons out via the various protocols legally without NS and he has assisted many on here and kept a lot from having issues because they were smart enough to ask. Our Strictly Speaking Forum is/was widely considered to have the most complete collection of data regarding Sg NS issues on the WWW for many years. I'm sure you remember the days when MS & I spent lots of time there. I had a dual citizens son who had to register for NS AND the Selective Service in the US (Even though it's been mothballed since 1975 a male US citizen still has to register.)

envoy91,
With regard to your last statement, if you write to CMPB you will get an answer to report to the CMPB as you have unresolved issues. They will not entertain him as long as he is outside of the country. Once he enters the country then they have him. I gave my former boss a heads up of what was going to happen to his son when the son was still in Sec 2. The father was a Singaporean, the mother a Polish Singapore PR. Because the mother was a PR, and the children were born in and given UK citizenship, the daughter was applied and received PR under the mother. The son wasn't put on the PR application due to the father thinking he could get around NS but I told him it is not going to work. that was 16 years ago. The son cannot get an EP to work in the family business (I was the HR & Finance Mgr of the father's Medium sized SME). I applied and wrote appeals and each time even the EP was rejected with the same statement as noted by the current poster. However, as the boy never had PR they cannot forbid him to visit Singapore but they will not give him any sort of LTVP or work visa. They know his father is a Singaporean (and a card carrying PAP member as well). So we opened a company in Yangon and he's there as the MD and occasionally comes to Singapore for a visit. The boy is in his late 20s or recently turned 30 and has a BSc & MSc in Civil Engrg but cannot get an EP to work in the family company of 225 staff. CMPB & ICA & MOM have very long memories.

SMS

There is a good chance that Mad Scientist will see this, as he is still an active reader but doesn't get involved in the rest of the forum, only dealing with NS help. Also watch your PM as he may take it off board (he is the only person we allow to do that due to the sensitivity of the issue).
Many thanks for your reply. I have read the ministerial statement that advises only those who emigrated at a very young age and did not enjoy substantial socio-economic benefits are allowed to renounce without serving National Service - are these guidelines no longer in place? I did emigrate at a very young age and have not enjoyed any socio-economic benefit of citizenship, nor was I even aware of my citizenship until a few months ago (I never received any letters regarding citizenship or enlistment, the letter 3 months ago is the first I've received)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:32 am

envoy91 wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 2:25 am
envoy91,

envoy91,

SMS

Many thanks for your reply. I have read the ministerial statement that advises only those who emigrated at a very young age and did not enjoy substantial socio-economic benefits are allowed to renounce without serving National Service - are these guidelines no longer in place? I did emigrate at a very young age and have not enjoyed any socio-economic benefit of citizenship, nor was I even aware of my citizenship until a few months ago (I never received any letters regarding citizenship or enlistment, the letter 3 months ago is the first I've received)
I think the main issue would be that not aware of something will not be considered to be acceptable or fine. Yes - if parents have written to ICA/CMPB and then emigrated, that would have been considered OK. The issue mainly here was it was not communicated and a formal approval was not taken. Anyway, please follow suggestions as per SMS.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:12 pm

Since you born in singapore. Birth cerf has indicate. Citizen of singapore.

So.. Dont know
No aware

Not an excuse

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

envoy91

Post by envoy91 » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 4:15 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:32 am
envoy91 wrote:
envoy91,

envoy91,

SMS

I think the main issue would be that not aware of something will not be considered to be acceptable or fine. Yes - if parents have written to ICA/CMPB and then emigrated, that would have been considered OK. The issue mainly here was it was not communicated and a formal approval was not taken. Anyway, please follow suggestions as per SMS.
Think it is possible my parents would have informed the government we were emigrating, they believe they took all the necessary steps but can’t remember. The procedure from 13 was certainly not followed though. None of this in an attempt to dodge NS however (been to visit Singapore numerous times, last there 2020) but just through being completely unaware.

I have contacted the CMPB and will see what they advise.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 6:50 pm

envoy91 wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 4:15 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:32 am
envoy91 wrote:

Think it is possible my parents would have informed the government we were emigrating, they believe they took all the necessary steps but can’t remember. The procedure from 13 was certainly not followed though. None of this in an attempt to dodge NS however (been to visit Singapore numerous times, last there 2020) but just through being completely unaware.

If you have records that parents informed the Gov, that would be good and you may submit it to them to review.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 1:35 am

envoy91 wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 4:15 pm
It will be interesting to know what happens in your particular case.

Although your parents didn’t seem to follow the strict protocols to ensure you had a clean exit, it’s also pretty clear that had they not neglected to do so, you’d have been able to make a clean exit. Given that, there seems to be at least some sliver of hope that they might cut you some slack, but it is really hard to say - they are quite strict and rigid… and they have to be, otherwise there’d be more shenanigans.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 23 Aug 2022 5:29 pm

OK, I saw and read your predicament
Herein lies the twist
1. It is not about leaving at a young age, It is about following the steps.
2. Your parent did not apply for Exit Permit when you turned 13. Hence no exit permit means you are a defaulter
3. When they wrote to your parent, they replied. They got your parent hook, line and sinker!! Should not have response. Ignorance is a bliss if you are not residing in Singapore. Your parent must have updated overseas address on the ICA website. That's how they got you.
My guess is damn if you do , damn if you don't
Wait till 40 then surrender yourself. You will not go to jail, Fine you will get. Not sure how much now, thousands I guess.
This is a sticky thing as they can make an example out of you and you will get the full brunt of fine, jail and NS if you turn yourself in
Personally , screw this Little Red Dot if you think you do not miss anything here to begin with
If you still wants to visit here, get another foreign passport and come to Singapore. This is based on personal encounter with one of my close friends that did this. You flip the coin and you take your chances
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 24 Aug 2022 8:25 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Tue, 23 Aug 2022 5:29 pm
Herein lies the twist
2. Your parent did not apply for Exit Permit when you turned 13. Hence no exit permit means you are a defaulter
3. When they wrote to your parent, they replied. They got your parent hook, line and sinker!! Should not have response. Ignorance is a bliss if you are not residing in Singapore. Your parent must have updated overseas address on the ICA website. That's how they got you.
Wait till 40 then surrender yourself. You will not go to jail, Fine you will get. Not sure how much now, thousands I guess.
This is a sticky thing as they can make an example out of you and you will get the full brunt of fine, jail and NS if you turn yourself in
Personally , screw this Little Red Dot if you think you do not miss anything here to begin with
If you still wants to visit here, get another foreign passport and come to Singapore. This is based on personal encounter with one of my close friends that did this. You flip the coin and you take your chances
Great advice MS, although that last bit… to come in on a foreign passport, not sure if it is still a coin toss today. I believe they have gotten smarter and are using name+dob combination, which is a pretty good unique identifier (minimal false positives). Other countries have started using this too, including the financial crimes unit of the US government. So unless you had a name change, I wouldn’t risk it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

envoy91

Post by envoy91 » Wed, 24 Aug 2022 10:56 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Tue, 23 Aug 2022 5:29 pm
Herein lies the twist
Many thanks for the reply Mad Scientist. I am not intending to go to Singapore until this issue has been resolved. I have been in contact with the NS department for 6 months since I submitted the forms to the ICA and have not been given a response as to where I stand - is this normal?

Malcontent - interestingly, I was last in Singapore in February 2020. I did not have any problems at the border (and never have in the 20+ visits I have done through my life). The renounciation forms asked for my foreign passport ID, so indeed I suspect I would now be flagged...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 25 Aug 2022 2:27 am

Not sure on the speed of things as I have left years ago but..... there's always a butt, One my mates' son was supposed to join the NS early this year.
They did all the steps of reporting so on and so forth to the T. Till now still waiting for him to be enlisted. That was 8 months ago!!
Smart enough, the parent told him to enter the local uni while waiting for his enlistment.
ICA and CMPB works in tandem. They talk and talk alot. Have patience
If you have submitted your foreign passport , of course they have you on record
The IRIS , Biometrics, Hologram features are only on SG PP and a few other countries. Not all countries have it, You get my drift.......European PP ??
My daughters have three PP go figure and they come and go without any trouble till now.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

envoy91

Post by envoy91 » Tue, 08 Nov 2022 6:39 pm

Just to provide an update for posterity - I was allowed to and have now successfully renounced my citizenship after paying a small composition fine. Interestingly, the offence was for not having an exit permit, with no mention of me being a deserter/defaulting on NS obligations.