Singapore Expats

Can anyone please let me know if 190k in 2022 a good salary in Singapore ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Can anyone please let me know if 190k in 2022 a good salary in Singapore ?

Post by smoulder » Tue, 21 Jun 2022 8:14 pm

If he or she is not on an expat package.
So a foreigner working in India would draw a much lower salary to account for the lower COL?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 21 Jun 2022 8:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 8:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 8:03 pm
smoulder wrote:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 1:42 am
Not exactly. They are quite proportional to what you would earn.
So a foreigner working in India would draw a much lower salary to account for the lower COL?
Why would a foreigner want to work in India when they are all trying to get out! :lol: :lol: :cool:
Go figure... There are a few who are actually going there to work.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:19 am

Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Which foreigner? For a Bangladeshi relocating to India, it might be a higher salary. You can’t apply the same yardstick to all foreigners. Generally, a foreigner from a advanced, highly developed economy cannot be expected to have a lower cost of living after relocating to India -- in fact, it might be just the opposite. This is why expat packages exist… to help foreigners maintain their home country lifestyle despite being in a foreign land.

For my employer, Indian employees transferred to Singapore stay on Rupee salary and the cost of their expat package far exceeds their salary. Despite this, many prefer to switch to local salary with no package — they are willing to sacrifice their lifestyle for greater monetary compensation.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:32 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:19 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Which foreigner? For a Bangladeshi relocating to India, it might be a higher salary. You can’t apply the same yardstick to all foreigners. Generally, a foreigner from a advanced, highly developed economy cannot be expected to have a lower cost of living after relocating to India -- in fact, it might be just the opposite. This is why expat packages exist… to help foreigners maintain their home country lifestyle despite being in a foreign land.

For my employer, Indian employees transferred to Singapore stay on Rupee salary and the cost of their expat package far exceeds their salary. Despite this, many prefer to switch to local salary with no package — they are willing to sacrifice their lifestyle for greater monetary compensation.
Most of the sacrifice involves using public transportation which many view as a small trade in for the ability to save up more due to less taxes and favorable rupee conversion rate. Additionally, the sgd to rupee rate has been trending towards the rupee weakening in relation to the sgd. Most people are quite happy to ditch driving anyway, given the lousy traffic in most large Indian cities, so many probably won't view it as a downgrade.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:38 am

The one thing which will hurt the pocket is schools for kids. Most foreigners (Indians included) are not going to be able to send their kids to local schools and will therefore have to fork out much more for International Schools.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 11:03 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:38 am
The one thing which will hurt the pocket is schools for kids. Most foreigners (Indians included) are not going to be able to send their kids to local schools and will therefore have to fork out much more for International Schools.
Even if they would be able, the local school fees for non-PR, non-SC are rather high depending on the student's age. Good alternative are small International School. Some of them have fees comparable to local schools, reasonable teaching quality and definitely less stressful learning environment.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:36 am

Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Why would a foreigner want to work in India when they are all trying to get out! :lol: :lol: :cool:
My thoughts exactly!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:37 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 8:14 pm
If he or she is not on an expat package.
Is this even a thing though? I can’t imagine any foreigner intentionally moving somewhere where they would draw a lower salary.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:39 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 21 Jun 2022 8:18 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

Go figure... There are a few who are actually going there to work.
Truly can’t imagine that this is a thing. Especially with so many people in India it’s impossible that they don’t have enough domestic labor to rely on, more often than not it’s other countries that hire Indians for their tech/engineering/medical expertise (not to be stereotypical).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:41 am

malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Yes, that’s what I mean. I meant that I couldn’t imagine any foreigner coming to a country where they would earn less and have to live a less extravagant lifestyle. I can understand being willing to live a little smaller if they were drawing a higher salary, but other than that I can’t imagine anyone being satisfied with such a situation.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:44 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:32 am
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Most of the sacrifice involves using public transportation which many view as a small trade in for the ability to save up more due to less taxes and favorable rupee conversion rate. Additionally, the sgd to rupee rate has been trending towards the rupee weakening in relation to the sgd. Most people are quite happy to ditch driving anyway, given the lousy traffic in most large Indian cities, so many probably won't view it as a downgrade.
How is the public transport system in India? The videos and photos I see are all of really packed trains, don’t really feel like an expert would be able to adjust to that, unless of course my impression is off.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:47 am

smoulder wrote:
How much does that cost? Is it a lot more than singapore? I imagine it must be at least a little cheaper.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:48 am

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 11:03 am
smoulder wrote:
Even if they would be able, the local school fees for non-PR, non-SC are rather high depending on the student's age. Good alternative are small International School. Some of them have fees comparable to local schools, reasonable teaching quality and definitely less stressful learning environment.
Sounds like you know a lot! Speaking from experience? Seems like it’s similar to singaporean local schools where non-local non-PR non-ASEAN kids pay a bomb.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 6:36 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:41 am
I couldn’t imagine any foreigner coming to a country where they would earn less and have to live a less extravagant lifestyle.
It sounds like you are describing me when I moved to Singapore… earned less ✔️ less extravagant lifestyle ✔️.

It’s like I’ve always said, people move to Singapore for one of two reasons — love or money. So if you are an Indian and have no family or love interest here, you’d better be getting the money, or else it’s not worth it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 8:32 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:44 am
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 9:32 am
malcontent wrote:

How is the public transport system in India? The videos and photos I see are all of really packed trains, don’t really feel like an expert would be able to adjust to that, unless of course my impression is off.
Not the best. If you are middle class, you would really be looking at driving.