Singapore Expats

*Updated* PR chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
seestars

*Updated* PR chances

Post by seestars » Thu, 02 Jan 2020 1:34 pm

-------------------

Hi,

I have been reading all PR posts for a while, and today finally find the courage to check my chances. We had several PR rejections before when being single, and this is the first time we re-applied as a family in Jul,19 when we have a baby gal (4mth at the time). We ROM in Dec'18. I guess our race and short-term marriage time could be a hinderance, but like everyone said no harm to try, just wait for luck :D .
My hubby applied PR as a main applicant.
hubby: VNese
software devlop snr
inc: ~140k
NUS master/degree - no bond
length of stay: >17 yrs
PR rejected: 2 times when single

myself: Vnese
Compliance, mgr
inc: ~90k
Degree (private uni)
length of stay: >15yrs
PR rejected 3 times when single
Last edited by seestars on Wed, 04 Mar 2020 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR chances

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jan 2020 2:42 pm

Too be honest, you ethnicity is going to be the major stumbling blox (if you both have been here for 15 to 17 years, getting married isn't going to be any help. The only thing you can hope for is luck as I don't see you being successful. It is what it is. Singapore has it's racial balances and tries to maintain that, and I feel it is part of the problem. I hope I'm wrong, but it is what it is. Also, for your marriage I reckon you will still need two years considering the timeline, in what appears to be a marriage of moral necessity.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

seestars

Re: PR chances

Post by seestars » Thu, 02 Jan 2020 3:27 pm

thank you for your reply. I had your same thoughts after reading thru many earlier advices. Other than waiting after 2yrs, all we can do is to wait for luck. Indeed it is what it is nowadays...

Many thanks again

seestars

Re: *Updated* PR chances

Post by seestars » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 1:50 pm

My result finally came out after 7+mth,
2020 good news is, it came out with no surprise: a clear Rejection, hard-punched message "You are welcome to stay here..... with valid passes." Ends of months of cross-finger, nail biting..^^

:D we appear to be not of lucky folks grp "TOTO" :mrgreen: with SG PR.

nevertheless, all the best to all other folks out there.

Btw, ICA did ask to provide supporting docs for my hubby education (which he studied in NUS) after 6mths+, but then only 3 weeks later the refusal rejection is made. We receive the IPA letter 1 week after the sent date stated in the letter.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:07 pm

seestars,

I wish I could have been wrong. But we try to tell it like it is, as you know. I really appreciate you letting us know as you mentioned two items we often get flack for here. First is the message with the rejection about being welcome to stay.........., and the other about whether or not getting asking for supporting docs, etc. being an indication that it would be approved in due time. Getting the letter dated a week earlier than the received date is normal as most gov't agencies here tend to date the letter but batch mail later.

By all means, if you can hang in there for another 2 years, it will definitely improve your chances. But how much I don't know. I know it makes it hard but another two years will not disrupt the child's schooling yet.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:47 pm

If you have stayed here for 15+ years and still have not been able to get your PR approved, going forward it is going to be harder, unless something drastic changes in your occupation which Singapore has great demand for, a steep increase in Salary, etc

seestars

Post by seestars » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 7:07 pm
seestars,

I wish I could have been wrong. But we try to tell it like it is, as you know. I really appreciate you letting us know as you mentioned two items we often get flack for here. First is the message with the rejection about being welcome to stay.........., and the other about whether or not getting asking for supporting docs, etc. being an indication that it would be approved in due time. Getting the letter dated a week earlier than the received date is normal as most gov't agencies here tend to date the letter but batch mail later.

By all means, if you can hang in there for another 2 years, it will definitely improve your chances. But how much I don't know. I know it makes it hard but another two years will not disrupt the child's schooling yet.
Actually I thank the forum & experts to give us a sense of reality....including the 2 items
As i follow the forum, i told my hubby at the time not to be over-excited with ICA asking for more docs (infact, i tot it is kind of werid 'cos all nus certs & transcripts provided, what else to support?. Its not like we r stupid enuf to forge nus papers)

Yes, we probably tried another time next year, but I don't expect many significant changes in our income, job..etc except for longer marriage time

seestars

Post by seestars » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 12:59 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:47 pm
If you have stayed here for 15+ years and still have not been able to get your PR approved, going forward it is going to be harder, unless something drastic changes in your occupation which Singapore has great demand for, a steep increase in Salary, etc
understood. and yes, I admit it is harder and we are not good PR catchers.
I do not see any drastic changes in my job, salary yet... But even if we have, we cant change our race, and cant jump out of Other catg quota

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Mar 2020 2:30 pm

I hear you. I'm in the same category.

seestars

Post by seestars » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 1:17 pm

hi all,
today we finally got PR (online)approval. we re-applied again in May 2021 which is ~15mths since our last rejection. reason for the earlier re-application , instead of 24mths, is due to the fact that my hubby got official promotion to CTO level and significant pay rise. For me, no much change but now i can speak Chinese to my colleagues as i have been learning the language since CB period

Needless to say, We are on top of the moon now while waiting for the IPA letter. and of course, our next goal is citizenship :)))

special thanks to the sms and sf moderators for your constructive inputs

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 2:10 pm

Congratulations! This is truly great news. Persistence really does pay off. Well deserved!

sndy
Regular
Regular

Post by sndy » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 8:47 pm

Congratulations, truly happy to hear this!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 10:39 pm

Congratulations, that is great news and load off your shoulders & minds. Now can start working for the future. As mystic_river noted. Often persistence is the name of the game (and frankly, I also think the NUS degree also played a significant part in this case. They may have just wanted to test your staying power to see how badly you want it. =D> \:D/ :cool: