Singapore Expats

PR renewal 2022

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Sclee74

PR renewal 2022

Post by Sclee74 » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 1:01 pm

Hello everyone. Would really appreciate some advice from anyone about renewing of Singapore PR.
I am a Singaporean and my husband (our marriage is not recognized in Singapore unfortunately) has his PR which is due for renewal. However, because of my work, he has to leave Singapore with me. We have been away for a few years and now, his PR is due for renewal. How successful/the chances will it be for approval if he is to go ahead with the renewal, considering that he is not working/living in Singapore because of me. It is quite a depressing situation if his PR is not renewed, and as a ‘married’ couple, he has to return as a tourist.. and to be employed as an EP holder (which is another level of issues in the coming year). Any information from anyone with similar situation would be super appreciated. Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: PR renewal 2022

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 2:45 pm

1. Why is his marriage not recognized?
2. Was his PR under PTS or family ties? If the latter then PR renewal will happen.
3. If he is overseas because YOU have been posted away by a Singaporean company (or govt dept) then obtain a supporting letter from your HR to state this fact and prepare for an appeal on that basis. PR is often renewed if you have been sent overseas as a trailing spouse because of work requirements from a Singaporean employer
4. He could also return to Singapore prior to his REP expiring and work here or remain here until you return and commence work and then apply for renewal. It is possible to remain in Singapore with an expired REP provided you do not leave (as you cannot come back in as a PR).

It is not all hopeless. Well unless you married a former WP holder without gahmen permission.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sclee74

Post by Sclee74 » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 4:28 pm

Thanks for your prompt response. I should’ve given more details.
1. Well, sadly, our gay marriage is not recognized in singapore . Basically, we are two individuals in the eye of the gahmen.. :(
2. He earned his PR status after working many many years in Singapore and is super integrated with the locals.
3. I went overseas based on my own desire to expand my career opportunities. Unfortunately, I don’t think MOE will want to send someone overseas to teach.
4 Working here means he has to be separated from me. For a few more years before I return. I really don’t know for sure. This is depressing for a married couple or any couple in fact.

Seems like him returning, living and working here is only option? :(

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 6:11 pm

If Lee Hong Yi becomes PM in 5 or 10 heads you'll see the gay marriage issue overturned well before then.

Does your husband work?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 6:22 pm

This is Singapore. It's not really rainbow oriented as I'm sure you are well aware of. The fact that he got his PR on the PTS scheme is the only way he could have gotten it. I am sure you already knew that fact from the get go. Therefore, as a PTS PR, he doesn't have the personal legal relationship, as noted, that is required for Family Ties. You had to have known this before you left and took him out of the country for a long stay that would effectively cause him to lose his PR. I'll be honest, I have my doubts that his REP will be renewed at all.

PNGMK's item 4. is his/your only hope. However, while it's a known fact that you do not need a valid REP to remain a PR in Singapore but you cannot leave. That would be for a normal recognized marriage under the FT scheme. If he's not worked at all during the time with you outside of Singapore, he better hope he can find a job when he returns as I feel it's more than likely he will eventually lose his PR and unless he has another EP to fall back on, you might have to immigrate. Rough as it sounds, it is a likely scenario.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers